Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Unless Palm releases a free video recording app in the next couple days, many will be disappointed. Did 1.3.5 set the Pre up for video recording, or would the app by itslf be enough?
    Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
    not real sure what happened. but then again i cant find an official source that says it would come by the end of the year. Does any one have that source?
    Might have decided to hold it off till CES on Jan 7th.
    Your Pre wants Word Whirl from the App Catalog.

It told me.
    would be nice on Palm's part to throw this out there.
    There's still tomorrow
    I had video recording on my Pre until I doctored for 1.3.5. Haven't tried reinstalling yet. Who was it that promised it to you though??
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoen22 View Post
    not real sure what happened. but then again i cant find an official source that says it would come by the end of the year. Does any one have that source?
    That's the funny thing. Their is no official sources. Someone said that Palm would proly have video recording by the end of the year and everyone just ran with it.
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    the reason everyone "just ran with it" is because it doesn't make sense why such advanced phone DOESN't have such a standard feature.

I know people will say you can hack it on, but as hparsons showed us, unofficial methods of acquiring apps can result in losing it after updates.
    The iPhone didnt have MMS for three years so were ahead of the game. :>
    Quote Originally Posted by sacherjj View Post
    Might have decided to hold it off till CES on Jan 7th.
    Hold off till CES to announce the 'groundbreaking' function of video -- on a SMARTPHONE???
    Quote Originally Posted by dbd View Post
    Hold off till CES to announce the 'groundbreaking' function of video -- on a SMARTPHONE???
    The same way Apple announced the groundbreaking function of video with the introduction of the 3GS, their third generation smart phone?
    Treo 300 > Hitachi G1000 > PPC-6700 > PPC-6800 (Mogul) > PPC-6850 (Touch Pro) > Palm Pre & HTC EVO Optimus V
    Quote Originally Posted by dallashigh View Post
    The same way Apple announced the groundbreaking function of video with the introduction of the 3GS, their third generation smart phone?
    I don't follow Apple. I'm concerned about MY phone.
    Last edited by dbdoinit; 12/30/2009 at 02:14 PM.
    Global Posts
    80 Global Posts
    Why does everyone compare the Pre to the iPhone when it comes to the timeline features? Palm is late to the game, needs to step it up, sell phones with features that meat or beat competitors. What industry do you know that it is ok to just play catch up? Look at android, 1 year later they are at version 2.0, and its features galore. Palm needs to step up its game, I don't think we could wait for the 3rd generation Pre, who would care at that point? If Sprint offered the droid today, how many would change? Or a new Windows Mobile 7 phone? Really, its only because the Pre was the newness on Sprint that it did well, but that time has come and gone. I would love for Palm to succeed, but its hard to root for them when they aren't even trying.
    I gonna imagine that extra hardware/access is required to have full video recording or at least one with an actual view finder.
    I remember reading an interesting post regarding precorder where in order to have video recording AND a view finder, two pipes (one recording and one viewer) have to be available. Unfortunately, we're stuck at just one.
    I know what some may be thinking, how does the camera still allow both viewing and taking pics?, my guess is the app still only uses one pipe...take a pic and try moving the came will taking it, the viewer freezes while the "pipe" is dedicated to taking the pic....again I'm just assuming.

I agree with Madcow on how Palm is a tad slow, but don't agree that they are slow. Gezz, look at the number of patches/updates they've put out. They've also literaly turn the company around from the brink of death (for the time being). Besides, I personally would like the recording, but honestly I would probably use it like 5 times during the life of the phone, like all of my other past phones... I would imagine others would agree and Palms stats prob reflect the same feeling.
    Global Posts
    603 Global Posts
    People are getting a little too excited over updates released by Palm. I think the Placebo effect is taking over as well. No the device is not fast, loading general apps like calendar, phone and browser are still slow compared to rinky dink flip phones. I should now shout praises because Palm finally added forward text? Forget that, thats a feature that shoulda been on the phone from jump street. And video recording, what does pipe have to do with anything? You have regular $50 flip phones that can do both w/o nearly close the internal goods as the pre has.
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    Nobody with any knowledge said that. As usual, rumors start to fly and people get their expectations up. There are some Unreal-istic expectations about CES, too.
    With NDAs, "Nobody with knowledge" is going to say that anyways. I don't know why some people on this forum starting bashing those who ask or hope for something in the absence of clear communication from Palm.

Quote Originally Posted by rkkeller View Post
    The iPhone didnt have MMS for three years so were ahead of the game. :>
    The Pre came out three years after the iPhone, so how does that make it ahead of the game?

Some of us are here (read Palm Pre owners) because we don't like the way Apple deals with their customers and milks money out of them by deliberately keeping some standard features out of it's products. I commend Apple for their innovations but hate them for the above reason. To those people who believe because iPhone users had to wait 3 years for x functionality that we should too, some of us here disagree so please agree to disagree or get an iPhone.
    Quote Originally Posted by madcow706 View Post
    Why does everyone compare the Pre to the iPhone when it comes to the timeline features? Palm is late to the game, needs to step it up, sell phones with features that meat or beat competitors.
    I agree with you on that point, but don't forget that when the Pre came out, the iPhone did not do video, so it was on par with the competition.

I do still agree wholeheartedly that they need to get their ***** in gear and release a video recording update.
    Treo 300 > Hitachi G1000 > PPC-6700 > PPC-6800 (Mogul) > PPC-6850 (Touch Pro) > Palm Pre & HTC EVO Optimus V
    Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mitch2k12 View Post
    Unless Palm releases a free video recording app in the next couple days, many will be disappointed. Did 1.3.5 set the Pre up for video recording, or would the app by itslf be enough?
    uhm.. already happened? precorder.
    Quote Originally Posted by d.moss View Post
    You know that's not official, so y are you even bringing that up?
    Quote Originally Posted by d.moss View Post
    Where's precorder mentioned on Palm's site again?
Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast