Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by mitch2k12 View Post
    Did 1.3.5 set the Pre up for video recording, or would the app by itslf be enough?
    Maybe the title of this thread is a little off, and now everyone's getting so heated and wrapped up in arguing whether this is an integral feature or not, we all forgot about the question in the OP. Did 1.3.5 set things up for video recording to be easily added down the road? I am no programmer, but seeing webos-internals drop doom, quake, scummvm, etc. on the pre now that SDL support and native game app support is built into the OS, wouldn't this be a trivial thing to set up now? Seems like all they need to do is decide what the interface should look like and what features should be included by default. What do the more technical folks on this thread think? Am I barking up the wrong tree?
    Quote Originally Posted by rlanza1054 View Post
    Precorder works fine with 1.3.5.1

Rob
    Really, can you see what you're recording and how have they improved the sound?
    I haven't been following this thread but wanted to say a few things.

1. Who said Palm would release a video recorder by the end of 2010? If someone at Palm came out with this statement, we have somewhat of a right to complain. Although, in the real world, there is typically a valid reason a company can't meet its expected targets.

2. Why do people expect every feature to be on a phone? Video recording was only available on the Iphone about a year ago (3rd hardware iteration, and isn't even available on previous hardware). Iphone didn't even get MMS until recently, for god sakes.

3. If you're expecting tomorrows Palm CES announcement to say that WebOS 1.x will turn the Pre into an Iphone, you may be disappointed.

4. Palm's presentation starts tomorrow around 11am PST, and I'm predicting by 11:30 there will be 18 "Palm sucks and I'm getting rid of my Pre" threads. What will thoroughly surprise me even more is if people actually follow up on getting rid of their Pre.
    Additionally, one cannot expect everyone to be either 1) savvy enough to hack the phone or 2) willing to do it. Before one can say something is ready, it should be out of the box functionality without all the wizardry to make it work. Therefore, most will have to wait it out.....
    Quote Originally Posted by gbp View Post
    Hmm, I have to say no. APPLE brought things that are new to the mobile world,
    not what they were good at. Because they do not have a history getting new features in the mobile phone business.
    Its the first time they ever did.
    And they did few things much better.

People just loved the newcomer being better than the existing player.

But back on topic , it took two years for APPLE to put that video recorder.
    But they didn't just put in a half *** video recorder.

So heres hoping Palm is not putting in a basic one either.
    Quote Originally Posted by matthewj318 View Post
    Additionally, one cannot expect everyone to be either 1) savvy enough to hack the phone or 2) willing to do it. Before one can say something is ready, it should be out of the box functionality without all the wizardry to make it work. Therefore, most will have to wait it out.....
    EVERY smartphone i've had works 10x better with hacks and work arounds.

Its the way of a phone really. I mean, even the "god phone"....SO much better when jailbroken.

The Pre is a great phone out of the box...BUT SO much better with Preware installed.

I can't see a general consumer being upset over Palm the way this forum is to be honest.
    Quote Originally Posted by DesertSilver View Post

4. Palm's presentation starts tomorrow around 11am PST, and I'm predicting by 11:30 there will be 18 "Palm sucks and I'm getting rid of my Pre" threads. What will thoroughly surprise me even more is if people actually follow up on getting rid of their Pre.
    I wouldn't be surprised either if Palm disappoints.
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised either if Palm disappoints.
    With that statement, please share what Palm can do to not disappoint you, personally.
    With that statement, please share what Palm can do to not disappoint you, personally.
    New hardware/form factor. Pretty simple really.
    No one should be doubting that Palm will introduce new hardware/form factors some time in the future, but I don't think that announcement will do anything to simmer down those that complain that the Pre/Pixi doesn't have a video recorder.
    Originally Posted by DesertSilver View Post

real 3D gaming supported via opengl, adobe flash in browser ready by end of feb, and video recorder ready by end of jan.

also google maps will have navigation/latitude by end of january. Also google voice use would be nice both in typing and dialing.

those are the top features i would like to see and the ones that will keep me with palm.
    Quote Originally Posted by number1pete View Post
    real 3D gaming supported via opengl, adobe flash in browser ready by end of feb, and video recorder ready by end of jan.

also google maps will have navigation/latitude by end of january. Also google voice use would be nice both in typing and dialing.

those are the top features i would like to see and the ones that will keep me with palm.
    3D gaming - safe to assume this will be officially coming from Palm very soon.
    Adobe Flash - you should view the newly release video from Adobe showing off the Nexus One. With it's 1Ghz Snapdragon processor, Flash is still a bit laggy in its beta form.
    Video recorder - would be nice and I want it, but not a necessity for myself.
    G'Navigation - I see Sprint holding this feature back because of their own app.
    G'Latitude - up to Google to implement. As we've seen, GMaps seems to be run through the cloud and updated by Google, not Palm.
    G'Voice - I see Google coming out with their own app for the Pre but will not necessarily make the integration any better than what we have now. At least with this generation of phones there's not a way of fully integrating our GV number. What I mean is that if we want to show our GV number to the person we're calling, we will always need to dial into GV first, which is cumbersome.

I'm hoping to be surprised with Palm's announcement. I just hope that if the majority of their announcement is for future hardware, that we all don't feel like Palm is abandoning the Pre/Pixi.

They announced the Pre last year and, if they want to release new hardware 6 months from now, this would be a good time to show it off.
    Yep, you're likely to be disappointed. Rubenstein has pretty much said they're not focusing on new devices.
    No one should be doubting that Palm will introduce new hardware/form factors some time in the future, but I don't think that announcement will do anything to simmer down those that complain that the Pre/Pixi doesn't have a video recorder.
    It was pointed out in another thread, and I agree - last year, Palm had to announce the Pre, even though it was 6 months away, or face almost certain ruin. They're not in that position anymore. I suspect their next announcement of new hardware will be done with short notice. Possibly late May as a "gift" for all the early adopters that will be eligible (and hungry) for an updated phone.
    G'Navigation - I see Sprint holding this feature back because of their own app.
    Not to hijack the thread, and go too far off into a tangent, but I disagree on this one. I think we'll see the app (if not at CES, then soo thereafter), but I don't think Sprint will hold it back. Yes, they have Sprint Navigation, but we have to pay for it as part of the package whether we use it or not. I don't think they'll hold back a competitor for a "non-revenue generating" app.

G'Latitude - up to Google to implement. As we've seen, GMaps seems to be run through the cloud and updated by Google, not Palm.
    G'Voice - I see Google coming out with their own app for the Pre but will not necessarily make the integration any better than what we have now. At least with this generation of phones there's not a way of fully integrating our GV number. What I mean is that if we want to show our GV number to the person we're calling, we will always need to dial into GV first, which is cumbersome.
    I agree, I think we'll see both of these soon. In some ways, the Pre is "cutting edge" with Google without their cooperation. Though Google offers a competing OS, I think they'll start playing nice soon.
    I can think of absolutely nothing that would cause more consternation and complaining on this forum than if Palm were to release a new device. Already, there are complaints that Verizon is getting an _updated_ Pre/Pixi, which is of course just downright silly. If Palm were to announce a new device completely after only 7 months since the Pre was released?

Forgetaboutit.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    I can think of absolutely nothing that would cause more consternation and complaining on this forum than if Palm were to release a new device. Already, there are complaints that Verizon is getting an _updated_ Pre/Pixi, which is of course just downright silly. If Palm were to announce a new device completely after only 7 months since the Pre was released?

Forgetaboutit.
    I don't think we should feel any hesitation for Palm to release new hardware. I've read that people hang onto a cell phone these days for around 12 months, and shorter if you're "up" on technology, like many on this and other forums. Having a yearly release of new hardware seems to be an ideal plan.

Hparsons brings up the good point that Palm is in a better position to give shorter notice now on new hardware, so much of their CES presentation may be software related. But I wouldn't be surprised to be holding a next-gen Pre in my hands in 6 months.

So with tomorrow's press conference coming, we shouldn't feel that Palm is out of line by showing off what's coming soon, hardware-wise.

Oh, and the Verizon Pre wouldn't be considered a new device, just updated. Think of the Treo days and you'll see that this is not new for Palm.
    I don't think we should feel any hesitation for Palm to release new hardware. I've read that people hang onto a cell phone these days for around 12 months, and shorter if you're "up" on technology, like many on this and other forums. Having a yearly release of new hardware seems to be an ideal plan.
    Absolutely, I'd love to see them release a new device, myself (as long as it doesn't take resources away from developing WebOS on the Pre/Pixi, which it inevitably would). Some folks, though, seem to have the entitlement mentality that they should be able to avoid their buyer's remorse for a minimum of a few years, at least with electronic gadgets.

Now that I think about it, I wonder how such people react about their car purchases given that the manufacturers release new models _every year_ (or at least, often significant upgrades)...
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic

Forgetaboutit.
    Crabs in a basket...

Forgetaboutit.
    They launched the Pixi a few months after the Pre.

That said, both of these are their own product lines that should stand on their own and will get their own upgrades. Introducing a third form factor shouldn't bother anyone. It provides another choice.
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast