Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 81 to 100 of 126
  1. #81  
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    Dieter responded to an email on a Palmcast about two months ago by saying that he didn't expect video recording until Summer of 2010.

    I love how some people respond to this kind of question by essentially saying "You don't need it."

    On the iPhone 3GS, the video recording feature consists of: recording, editing, integration into photo albums/slideshow and the ability to send videos via email, MMS, or upload to YouTube. It's really great.
    Did someone say others didn't need it?

    And if someone Needed it, they made a very bad purchase.
    Just call me Berd.
  2. #82  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    But, but, but....Precorder?!?!
    Precorder is not a Palm app, and is itself missing features (simultaneous recording and live video display). It's a work around at best, not a solution.
  3. #83  
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    Did someone say others didn't need it?

    And if someone Needed it, they made a very bad purchase.
    I must have missed that as well, but I will say this, I don't see myself trying to edit a video on any phone, I don't care how powerful the phone is, or the software it comes with.

    There was time when I was all excited about an "ultimate geek toy" for my Treo. It was a device that projected a keyboard onto a flat surface, that connected via BT. It actually worked. I played with it for 2 days, and sent it back.

    I realized that there was only so much I wanted a phone to do, and carting around a box as big as the phone so I can do geeky-cool typing was going overboard.

    A little.
  4. MacBook's Avatar
    Posts
    42 Posts
    Global Posts
    216 Global Posts
    #84  
    Quote Originally Posted by dbd View Post
    Hold off till CES to announce the 'groundbreaking' function of video -- on a SMARTPHONE???
    seriously???? why would that be announced at CES ?? come on guys..
  5. #85  
    Quote Originally Posted by MacBook View Post
    seriously???? why would that be announced at CES ?? come on guys..
    Well the linux binaries needed for recording video was found in the 1.3.1 update so personally i wouldn't be really surprised if they announced video recording for CES.
  6. #86  
    Quote Originally Posted by donm527 View Post
    I still remember reading about Steve Ballmer laughing off the iphone and the comments he made. What a monkey. We would all be saying how MS is still the evil empire (someone has to be i guess) if Bill Gates was still running the show. Ballmer has done nothing but lose market share in EVERYTHING since he has run things. but i digress
    Oh I agree.

    I don't think he "gets" it. Especially not in the mobile space. There is NO reason that a company as powerful as Microsoft should still be struggling to barely get out a their WinMo 6.5 product. WinMo 7 has been delayed over a year, and yet Ballmer seems to think this is ok.

    nb
  7. #87  
    Quote Originally Posted by MacBook View Post
    seriously???? why would that be announced at CES ?? come on guys..
    It's a pretty important feature for marketing purposes. CES is all about marketing. So would a verizon launch or new hardware be a marketing moment. Or even 2.0.

    If i'm Palm, and i had it working, i may hold off as well and let marketing (at this point) dictate when to kick it out.

    No new features have been added to any 1.x.x releases if memory serves..

    Palm's priority is selling phones.
  8. madcow706's Avatar
    Posts
    74 Posts
    Global Posts
    80 Global Posts
    #88  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    I actually agree mostly here, but the point is that what Palm brought to the table is easily copied. HTC's Sense UI and Android 2.0 topped matched and (arguably) topped WebOS Synergy inside of what...5 months? Universal search was bettered by Apple in 3?

    Visual multitasking is the last tower Palm can really defend as "theirs", and I think the n900 is already storming it.

    The things Apple brought to the table are still mostly ahead of the competition 2.5 years later. THAT is the kind of lead that makes people far more patient for a company to catch up in smaller features, whereas Palm is dealing with slumping sales (compared to the previous quarter) and a good share of defectors.
    You make a good point. Apple brought things to the table that they were good at. Lets look at Web OS. Palm is known for making good PDA's (calendar, contacts, memos, and maybe email). Web OS does not do any PDA function extremely well. In fact, its a step back on some of them (really the email app is a joke). So, people knock Apple's iPhone for missing features at launch, but did you notice that what it did, it did extremely well? What has the Pre and Web OS done extremely well? I can't think of a thing. I got the phone expecting what I expected on all of my treos that I had before, good PDA features, at least matching other "phone" type features (camera, video, played music), solid build, etc. Unfortunately, you can't even compare the Pre to a Treo or Centro. The Pre seems a device from a new company that just got into the Smartphone business, not one that was here when it started.
  9. #89  
    Quote Originally Posted by madcow706 View Post
    You make a good point. Apple brought things to the table that they were good at. Lets look at Web OS. Palm is known for making good PDA's (calendar, contacts, memos, and maybe email). Web OS does not do any PDA function extremely well. In fact, its a step back on some of them (really the email app is a joke). So, people knock Apple's iPhone for missing features at launch, but did you notice that what it did, it did extremely well? What has the Pre and Web OS done extremely well? I can't think of a thing. I got the phone expecting what I expected on all of my treos that I had before, good PDA features, at least matching other "phone" type features (camera, video, played music), solid build, etc. Unfortunately, you can't even compare the Pre to a Treo or Centro. The Pre seems a device from a new company that just got into the Smartphone business, not one that was here when it started.
    I has a long memory. The iphone lagged quite a bit. Crashed all the time too..especially safari. Soft crashes, but crashes just the same. Remember those multihour sync sessions with itunes? Some people still complain of dropped calls now, but now is nothing like it was then...I had more drops than calls.

    So what it did, it did well...sometimes. I easily went back to the centro and didn't venture back to apple til much later to pick up their second phone. The first iphone just wasn't usable.
  10. #90  
    It's really interesting how things have changed around here lately --

    It's really hard to defend Palm anymore. A lot of us are becoming increasingly impatient with delays in bringing "standard" functionality to this platform.

    Fans of WebOS (me included) are watching Android get all the attention and feeling frustrated.

    What will Palm announce at CES? Expanded SDK? GPU support?

    Do you know what consumers think about that stuff??? They don't give a crap! They have no idea what it means. I patched my phone back in the day... but I'm not going that route anymore. It's not worth the trouble.

    I just want a cool phone that does cool stuff.

    Dazzle me, Palm! Dazzle me!

    I bought your phone to feel like I was on the cutting-edge of technology -- to be cool -- to feel awesome -- not to sit around and wait.
  11. madcow706's Avatar
    Posts
    74 Posts
    Global Posts
    80 Global Posts
    #91  
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    I has a long memory. The iphone lagged quite a bit. Crashed all the time too..especially safari. Soft crashes, but crashes just the same. Remember those multihour sync sessions with itunes? Some people still complain of dropped calls now, but now is nothing like it was then...I had more drops than calls.

    So what it did, it did well...sometimes. I easily went back to the centro and didn't venture back to apple til much later to pick up their second phone. The first iphone just wasn't usable.
    Good point. But honestly, looking at Web OS, the Pre, and the Pixi, what did Palm do extremely well? Really I can't think of anything. What feature of these phones compared to what is available on the market today, if you were a new customer, or a customer who could do an early upgrade, would you still pick the Pre? the Pixi? If you were on sprint, would it be a Blackberry? Touch Pro 2? Hero? Moment? And if we compare it to other GSM phones, I am not sure how Palm could compete.

    Hopefully me pointing out some stuff and trying to keep this based on fact and observation doesn't get anyone to believe I hate Palm. I love Palm, I just don't like the direction they are heading in. I got caught up in the hype and all the newness of the Pre and Web OS, and now I miss the features I had on other phones for so many years. I think Palm should have got out of the market of making hardware and just offered Web OS to other companies that can build good phones (Motorola, LG, HTC (HTC is over rated though, lol)). They now remind me of Sega, and we all know how Segas hardware days ended up. I guess I pick under dogs too much, lol.

    There is just some much potential, but if it takes years to get here, then think of how far behind they will be then.
  12. #92  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    I had video recording on my Pre until I doctored for 1.3.5. Haven't tried reinstalling yet. Who was it that promised it to you though??
    Precorder works fine with 1.3.5.1

    Rob
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    - Palm Pre (Sprint) - formally Palm Treo 650
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3
    Model: P100EWW
    Hardware Version: A
    Firmware: CC1.4(510)

  13. #93  
    Quote Originally Posted by madcow706 View Post
    The Pre seems a device from a new company that just got into the Smartphone business, not one that was here when it started.
    My god, I have never thought of it that way.

    I think, I like most of us, wanted to give Palm that second chance to come back and be a star again.

    But what you statement says, that we really are supporting a new company that has the name 'Palm' but there is nothing really Palm about them.

    All the original Palm people are gone, and that is probably why we didn't get the features that the old PalmOS had as far as the PIM stuff, that's because no one that works there now, has any idea what the original PalmOS had, they are all new and don't have that history in their brains.

    What an interesting statement.

    Rob
    Last edited by rlanza1054; 01/05/2010 at 11:36 PM. Reason: grammer
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    - Palm Pre (Sprint) - formally Palm Treo 650
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3
    Model: P100EWW
    Hardware Version: A
    Firmware: CC1.4(510)

  14. #94  
    Quote Originally Posted by madcow706 View Post
    Good point. But honestly, looking at Web OS, the Pre, and the Pixi, what did Palm do extremely well? Really I can't think of anything. What feature of these phones compared to what is available on the market today, if you were a new customer, or a customer who could do an early upgrade, would you still pick the Pre? the Pixi? If you were on sprint, would it be a Blackberry? Touch Pro 2? Hero? Moment? And if we compare it to other GSM phones, I am not sure how Palm could compete.
    Palm did some things well. Its multitouch (sorry android) browser is in a class with the iphone's. Visual multitasking. Synergy which includes integrated calendars, email, messenging, and contacts. OTA updates which are quick (see Palm's last fix). Its unobtrusive notifications. Quick camera..once it's open.

    In addition, you can have multiple emails or messages open. Flipping open kb, a couple of key presses & enter and you're in business dialing a number.

    You really can't think of a thing Palm does well?
  15. Cringer's Avatar
    Posts
    475 Posts
    Global Posts
    483 Global Posts
    #95  
    I would love to weigh in on this but I can't right now because I need to run out and buy a Chevy so I can complain on Chevy boards it doesn't have Ford's Sync or Kia's UVO, something I NEED to have.
  16. madcow706's Avatar
    Posts
    74 Posts
    Global Posts
    80 Global Posts
    #96  
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Palm did some things well. Its multitouch (sorry android) browser is in a class with the iphone's. Visual multitasking. Synergy which includes integrated calendars, email, messenging, and contacts. OTA updates which are quick (see Palm's last fix). Its unobtrusive notifications. Quick camera..once it's open.

    In addition, you can have multiple emails or messages open. Flipping open kb, a couple of key presses & enter and you're in business dialing a number.

    You really can't think of a thing Palm does well?
    Good point, I didn't think about that. They did a good job on the multitouch. The card view idea was also very good. The browser is functional, if not hit or miss sometimes, but that is probably due to sprints network. OTA updates, Android has that, so its not too ground breaking, Synergy, I could take it or leave it, it rarely works, and since adding the facebook app, it didn't connect people with the same name and email addresses, so I think its implementation needs work. I mainly use the browser, email app, messaging app (which in itself needs some work), and the calendar app the most. I was trying to use it as a music and video player, but the music app really did suck too much, and the slider in the video app didn't work well (and I saw a post about a fix coming to the touch sensitivity on the Pre, so maybe it will be fixed soon) so I went back to my ipod touch.

    But to my point, when I say what have they done extremely well, it what feature or features from Web OS stand out so much compared to the current market that you look at other phones and go "They need to get what Web OS has". That is where I draw a blank.
  17. madcow706's Avatar
    Posts
    74 Posts
    Global Posts
    80 Global Posts
    #97  
    Quote Originally Posted by rlanza1054 View Post
    My god, I have never thought of it that way.

    I think, I like most of us, wanted to give Palm that second chance to come back and be a star again.

    But what you statement says, that we really are supporting a new company that has the name 'Palm' but there is nothing really Palm about them.

    All the original Palm people are gone, and that is probably why we didn't get the features that the old PalmOS had as far as the PIM stuff, that's because no one that works there now, has any idea what the original PalmOS had, they are all new and don't have that history in their brains.

    What an interesting statement.

    Rob
    That makes sense. Too bad all the old Palm folks left. We got the rookies and they need some old school people to show them the ropes.
  18. gbp
    gbp is offline
    gbp's Avatar
    Posts
    2,506 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    #98  
    Quote Originally Posted by madcow706 View Post
    You make a good point. Apple brought things to the table that they were good at.
    Hmm, I have to say no. APPLE brought things that are new to the mobile world,
    not what they were good at. Because they do not have a history getting new features in the mobile phone business.
    Its the first time they ever did.
    And they did few things much better.

    People just loved the newcomer being better than the existing player.

    But back on topic , it took two years for APPLE to put that video recorder.
  19. #99  
    you can get precorder & do it now
  20. #100  
    Quote Originally Posted by mitch2k12 View Post
    Unless Palm releases a free video recording app in the next couple days, many will be disappointed. Did 1.3.5 set the Pre up for video recording, or would the app by itslf be enough?
    you can get precorder & do it now
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Posting Permissions