Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    i actually do not understand it myself because everytime saw a post like this i always referred to someone quoting Dieter saying 2010. been doing it for months. people will read what they want to.

Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    I understood that, and agree. My point was that it's just as absurd to ask "what happened to 'video recording by the end of the year'", which (at least originally) is what this thread is all about.

You see the connection, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by donm527 View Post
    come on... I think they came out with a great niche phone... I don't think even Apple called it a smartphone initially.

The things they wanted it to do and advertised it was the main things people wanted but didnt get in their WM5 phones and Blackjacks. And to top that off they did those main things with a $20 data plan when I had friends with smartphones paying much much more for the data plans.

They hit the target with the people, the product, the data pricing and timing. They were lucky. MS could have capitalized on the mobile market but they didnt take it seriously.
    I think they didn't call it a smart phone because they wanted to maintain separation from the clunky vision people had of them. Also, Apple wants you to think of and iPhone separate...just as an iPod isn't an MP3 player...it is an iPod.

They succeeded in that.

I also agree (wholeheartedly) that there wasn't a single thing that the launch iPhone could do that my trusty HTC Apache couldn't, but the GUI, simplicity and viciously effective viral marketing that catapulted the iPhone to stardom was surgically applied skill. Not luck.

Well perhaps Apple was lucky that no one (WinMo, Palm, Nokia or Blackberry) really saw consumers as a real market force for a smartphone and gave them time to develop the iPhone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kedar View Post
    Palm did release a stellar Browser but came short in video recording. This would have been great a year ago when G1 was released... but right now it's meh considering the competition has all of this and more.
    You're leaving out a few of the other things they did:

• Usable multitasking
    • First smartphone to connect to multiple EAS accounts
    • The whole synergy thing (which even with the last update continues to improve)

Earth-shattering?? Probably not. But I don't think they wanted to shatter the earth, I think they wanted to keep their heads above water long enough to keep coming up with stuff.

I pretty strongly suspect they lined up what they might offer, compared to what they could offer quickly, and still fit their framework, and video recording was one of the things that fell in the "not yet" category.
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanis View Post
    I personally don't like Glass and am glad that hasn't become an industry standard. That's not a feature it's a choice. Same with capacitive. There are enough pro's and con's to both capacitive and resistive screens that, again, it's ridiculous to pretend capacitive screens are somehow a step up.
    So ridiculous that the VAST majority of high-end touchscreens for all-touchscreen OSes are now capacitive, whereas almost none were before?

Palm before iPhone = resistive. Palm after iPhone = ALL capacitive
    HTC before iPhone = resistive and all WinMO. HTC after iPhone = biased toward Android and...capacative.
    Motorola Droid = capacative.
    Nexus One = Capacative.
    Blackberry Storm = Capacative.

Yeah, it's just MY opinion....That iPhone screen changed nothing.

I don't know what modern looking means, or why it matters. Again, relative.
    I did and still perfer what HTC overlays on WinMo to the iPhone UI "look".
    That's nice that you have your preferences, but OBJECTIVELY SPEAKING, iPhone's UI look is much copied. WebOS cards copies the Safari windows. iPhone UI-styled transitions are now standard. Coverflow has been copied ad infinitum.

I have not used an n900 so I can't comment on that. But I felt the Pre's browser was just as good as the iphone at launch.

It's not (on checkerboarding alone and rendering speed alone, it was way behind), but even if it was, it took TWO YEARS for competitors to create a comparable browser.

You are really going to list a particular music player that only the same manufacturer could have included because they own it as a feature? Music players have existed on phones for a decade. Playing music isn't a feature.
    An included ipod isn't a feature unless you love/own ipod's (which I don't).
    Uh, if Sony suddenly decides to do a PSP phone, you can bet your **** PSP functionality will be promoted and touted as a feature. Not only did Apple put an iPod in a phone, but they did it with a brand new interface that took it to another level and is still being copied (Coverflow), even by the Pre and WebOS.

Come on, dude. Apple has plenty of weaknesses, and I still don't want an iPhone as my device even if it were on Sprint today. But they changed the game, and it wasn't due to mass hypnosis. If Apple could make their products succeed by will, every living room right now would have an Apple TV set-top box. That product was a failure. The iPhone and iPod were roaring successes. Deservedly so. Whether it's for you or me or not for you and me is irrelevant.
    You mean the same way Apple hurt themselves by not having MMS for three years while every other phone did? I bet they lost billions.
    It was one of the reasons I didn't buy one.
    I still remember reading about Steve Ballmer laughing off the iphone and the comments he made. What a monkey. We would all be saying how MS is still the evil empire (someone has to be i guess) if Bill Gates was still running the show. Ballmer has done nothing but lose market share in EVERYTHING since he has run things. but i digress

Quote Originally Posted by biggnaa20 View Post
    Well perhaps Apple was lucky that no one (WinMo, Palm, Nokia or Blackberry) really saw consumers as a real market force for a smartphone and gave them time to develop the iPhone.
    You're leaving out a few of the other things they did:

• Usable multitasking
    • First smartphone to connect to multiple EAS accounts
    • The whole synergy thing (which even with the last update continues to improve)

Earth-shattering?? Probably not. But I don't think they wanted to shatter the earth, I think they wanted to keep their heads above water long enough to keep coming up with stuff.

I pretty strongly suspect they lined up what they might offer, compared to what they could offer quickly, and still fit their framework, and video recording was one of the things that fell in the "not yet" category.
    I actually agree mostly here, but the point is that what Palm brought to the table is easily copied. HTC's Sense UI and Android 2.0 topped matched and (arguably) topped WebOS Synergy inside of what...5 months? Universal search was bettered by Apple in 3?

Visual multitasking is the last tower Palm can really defend as "theirs", and I think the n900 is already storming it.

The things Apple brought to the table are still mostly ahead of the competition 2.5 years later. THAT is the kind of lead that makes people far more patient for a company to catch up in smaller features, whereas Palm is dealing with slumping sales (compared to the previous quarter) and a good share of defectors.
    I understood that, and agree. My point was that it's just as absurd to ask "what happened to 'video recording by the end of the year'", which (at least originally) is what this thread is all about.

You see the connection, right?
    I was really close to posting the exact same thing.
    Just call me Berd.
    Quote Originally Posted by biggnaa20 View Post
    It was one of the reasons I didn't buy one.
    See, Beanis?
    There's $600 right there.
    Ha.
    Yeah and at least if Apple made the lawn mower they would charge you for the upgrade to self propelled when market forces forced them to release it.
    And you could only run it on Apple installed grass...
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    I was really close to posting the exact same thing.
    Guess that means I can rest my weary mind with the worry that some @#$%^&*( mod will come in and edit it out, huh?
    Hey-
    Is everybody throwin' a party for me tonight when i hit 1000 posts??

I would like Corona, pizza and some live entertainment, pleeeeze.
    But they EXPECT the pre to develop just like the iPhone did... they dont expect it to be a phone that's left behind with a newer model. that's the truth.
    And this is where I think Pre owners are going to be happier in the long run (assuming they stick with it). I believe many of the things folks are screaming for (promised or not), are going to come OTA without buying a new device.

Oh yeah, OTA upgrades, that was another somewhat revolutionary smartphone advance for the Pre.
    Moral of the story is:

I upgraded my wife's Pre to 1.3.5 and went on to tell her the highlights of it. Her eyes glazed over as always and she simply asked "did they put in video recording yet?"
    i actually do not understand it myself because everytime saw a post like this i always referred to someone quoting Dieter saying 2010. been doing it for months. people will read what they want to.
    That's it, it's Dieter's fault.

Let the flames begin.
    Yeah and at least if Apple made the lawn mower they would charge you for the upgrade to self propelled when market forces forced them to release it.
    And you could only run it on Apple installed grass...
    Maybe my analogy wasn't so bad after all.
    Just call me Berd.
  17. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Moral of the story is:

I upgraded my wife's Pre to 1.3.5 and went on to tell her the highlights of it. Her eyes glazed over as always and she simply asked "did they put in video recording yet?"
    Agree, its not a big update for most of the folks.
    I am waiting for Video recording and Voice recording.
    My previous phone had video recording, never used it. I researched the pre and even though it did not have v recording it was no big deal to me, I liked the it's compact size, muti-tasking, real keyboard and kicka** OS. I knew that being a new platform there would be bugs and am really impressed on how much Palm has accomplished in a very short time (6 months). Speaking of Apple, what about all those people that paid 550 dollars for the 1st iphone and then 1 year later got screwed when Apple released the 3G, a much better phone for just 200 dollars.
    Global Posts
    952 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    Maybe my analogy wasn't so bad after all.
    The gasoline and oil used by the lawnmower are actually free, but Apple repackages them and sells them for high price. (BSD inside OSX, KHTML is the foundation of WebKit.)
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    Dieter responded to an email on a Palmcast about two months ago by saying that he didn't expect video recording until Summer of 2010.

I love how some people respond to this kind of question by essentially saying "You don't need it."

On the iPhone 3GS, the video recording feature consists of: recording, editing, integration into photo albums/slideshow and the ability to send videos via email, MMS, or upload to YouTube. It's really great.
    But, but, but....Precorder?!?!
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast