Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 126
  1. #41  
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanis View Post
    Exactly.

    I don't understand what these people are doing here on these forums knocking palm for not doing what THEY think they should do.

    You either like the Pre as it is and buy it for what it is, or you get something else that does. It's really simple.

    This mentality of "Oh I bought a Pre but I am thinking of getting rid of it because it isn't becoming an iphone or android" shows a general lack of intelligence.
    Palm is only hurting themselves, by not offering what has become common in the marketplace. Same thing with LED nags/notifications, 'from phone' file management, pim etc etc etc. The list goes on and on.
  2. #42  
    Don't kid yourself. There was nothing groundbreaking feature-wise in the iphone. It's popularity is 100% it's looks and it's ease of use. My windows mobile phone could do all an iphone could do and more 2 years prior.

    But if you call massive control in every way, training wheels, and incredible usage restrictions a "feature"..... then I guess you are right.
  3. #43  
    Quote Originally Posted by dbd View Post
    Palm is only hurting themselves, by not offering what has become common in the marketplace. Same thing with LED nags/notifications, 'from phone' file management, pim etc etc etc. The list goes on and on.
    You mean the same way Apple hurt themselves by not having MMS for three years while every other phone did? I bet they lost billions.
  4. #44  
    my response was more towards beanis' response to madcow's statement... not really towards the issue of video or promise of video.

    so your Treo had video with the iPhone came out... great... cutting edge. but we are talking 2009 here... it is basically expected now to have a camera and video... that's at least how i perceive it.

    i'm not saying its right that people keep whining about it when it was never advertised... it's just that people know the hardware can handle it and they expect/demand/whatever for it... let them. I wouldnt have cared if Apple didnt give everything it has after the initial launch... I wanted a phone that could do mad browsing and play MP3s and get email like my beloved Axim. Everything added has been gravy and I have loved every minute of it. hopefully palm will listen to them. it should have it over time IMO.

    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Huh??? How is it different? Palm came out with exactly what they said they were. No promise of video.

    And spare us the "standards" nonsense. When the iPhone came out, my Palm Treo had video recording (that I didn't use).

    When a company comes out with a totally new system, you should but it (or not) based on what it does at that time unless you are willing to wait for the new features.

    When you are tired of waiting, it's simple - move on.
  5. #45  
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanis View Post
    Don't kid yourself. There was nothing groundbreaking feature-wise in the iphone. It's popularity is 100% it's looks and it's ease of use. My windows mobile phone could do all an iphone could do and more 2 years prior.

    But if you call massive control in every way, training wheels, and incredible usage restrictions a "feature"..... then I guess you are right.
    I named FIVE features. Care to debunk them?
  6. #46  
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanis View Post
    You mean the same way Apple hurt themselves by not having MMS for three years while every other phone did? I bet they lost billions.
    Apple is in a different financial boat than Palm, and Palm is quickly becoming redundant in the marketplace. Other than the small buzz created by the 1.3.5 update, all I see in the tech news is Apple this, iPhone that, Android the other, Droid something else. Palm has little to no media presence at the moment. People (en masse) buy what they are familiar with.
  7. #47  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kedar View Post
    I think it's because what Apple brought to the table was much more than what Palm brought.

    I mean, gestures are great. So is the notifications. Multitasking a LOT of people can live without because they don't know how necessary it is...
    But when Apple came out with a slim device that allowed people to watch video, listen to music, surf the web, etc... all in one package when the competition could do very little was groundbreaking.

    Palm did release a stellar Browser but came short in video recording. This would have been great a year ago when G1 was released... but right now it's meh considering the competition has all of this and more.
    Same goes both ways. They brought a lot to the table that's true, but like what has already been said. They also missed a lot of crap that was standard at the time. As I said apple drones will make any damn excuse they can to make their jesus phone seem like the best. lol I have even seen them start to hit Nexus youtube vids.
  8. #48  
    come on... I think they came out with a great niche phone... I don't think even Apple called it a smartphone initially.

    The things they wanted it to do and advertised it was the main things people wanted but didnt get in their WM5 phones and Blackjacks. And to top that off they did those main things with a $20 data plan when I had friends with smartphones paying much much more for the data plans.

    They hit the target with the people, the product, the data pricing and timing. They were lucky. MS could have capitalized on the mobile market but they didnt take it seriously.

    Quote Originally Posted by Beanis View Post
    Don't kid yourself. There was nothing groundbreaking feature-wise in the iphone. It's popularity is 100% it's looks and it's ease of use. My windows mobile phone could do all an iphone could do and more 2 years prior.

    But if you call massive control in every way, training wheels, and incredible usage restrictions a "feature"..... then I guess you are right.
  9. #49  
    It didn't have video recording, and it still doesn't.
    My Treo Pro has Video Recording, and I don't think I've ever used it.

    Why did I buy a Mower that wasn't 'Self- Propelled'?
    Other mowers have it.
    If a product doesn't have/do what I want, I have/had the choice to Not buy it.
    I bought the mower knowing it wasn't self propelled, now why am I mad at the mfg?

    I know it's been said over and over....
    Why would one sign a contract with a carrier for 2 years, to get a device without a feature they wanted?
    It still baffles me.
    Just call me Berd.
  10. #50  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    I named FIVE features. Care to debunk them?
    Why not. It's pretty easy. Especially when most of your "features" are extremely relative as to it's level of being "groundbreaking".

    A huge glass capacative touchscreen
    I personally don't like Glass and am glad that hasn't become an industry standard. That's not a feature it's a choice. Same with capacitive. There are enough pro's and con's to both capacitive and resistive screens that, again, it's ridiculous to pretend capacitive screens are somehow a step up.

    The most modern-looking and responsive UI at the time
    I don't know what modern looking means, or why it matters. Again, relative.
    I did and still perfer what HTC overlays on WinMo to the iPhone UI "look".

    A browsing experience unsurpassed...until two years later (n900)
    I have not used an n900 so I can't comment on that. But I felt the Pre's browser was just as good as the iphone at launch.

    An ipod inside the phone
    You are really going to list a particular music player that only the same manufacturer could have included because they own it as a feature? Music players have existed on phones for a decade. Playing music isn't a feature.
    An included ipod isn't a feature unless you love/own ipod's (which I don't).

    The best virtual keyboard at the time.
    I will concede that one to you. But again, like the capacitive screen argument, relative. I know plenty of AT&T customers that won't use iphone's because they insist on physical keyboards.
  11. #51  
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post

    I know it's been said over and over....
    Why would one sign a contract with a carrier for 2 years, to get a device without a feature they wanted?
    It still baffles me.
    Because they are asinine and ASSUME the features they want will get included in later. 99% of which were NEVER promised by said company. It seem's like their arguments are "well phone A which is much older had it and phone B doesn't." Yeah no **** moron it has always been this way *** are you acting like this is new?
  12. #52  
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    It didn't have video recording, and it still doesn't.
    My Treo Pro has Video Recording, and I don't think I've ever used it.

    Why did I buy a Mower that wasn't 'Self- Propelled'?
    Other mowers have it.
    If a product doesn't have/do what I want, I have/had the choice to Not buy it.
    I bought the mower knowing it wasn't self propelled, now why am I mad at the mfg?

    I know it's been said over and over....
    Why would one sign a contract with a carrier for 2 years, to get a device without a feature they wanted?
    It still baffles me.
    With all due respect, Berd:
    Lawnmowers cannot be upgraded 'over the air'. It's apples (sorry for the pun) and oranges.
  13. #53  
    Because people wanted an iphone alternative... an iphone killer... and saw a phone that HAS potential and with Palm updates and appstore EXPECT the ability to add/update/grow features like Apple has done. But they want it NOW and Palm has not delivered to those people. I think Palm will eventually... just like Apple has done eventually.

    But they EXPECT the pre to develop just like the iPhone did... they dont expect it to be a phone that's left behind with a newer model. that's the truth.

    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    I know it's been said over and over....
    Why would one sign a contract with a carrier for 2 years, to get a device without a feature they wanted?
    It still baffles me.
  14. #54  
    Quote Originally Posted by dbd View Post
    With all due respect, Berd:
    Lawnmowers cannot be upgraded 'over the air'. It's apples (sorry for the pun) and oranges.
    Yeah and at least if Apple made the lawn mower they would charge you for the upgrade to self propelled when market forces forced them to release it.
  15. #55  
    Quote Originally Posted by Slayix312 View Post
    Because they are asinine and ASSUME the features they want will get included in later. 99% of which were NEVER promised by said company. It seem's like their arguments are "well phone A which is much older had it and phone B doesn't." Yeah no **** moron it has always been this way *** are you acting like this is new?
    WTH's ur problem, man? Calm down. Jeez.
  16. #56  
    Quote Originally Posted by dallashigh View Post
    I agree with you on that point, but don't forget that when the Pre came out, the iPhone did not do video, so it was on par with the competition.

    I do still agree wholeheartedly that they need to get their ***** in gear and release a video recording update.
    I disagree that they were on par with the competition.

    At that period, both Apple and WebOS were severely behind the competition (WinMo, Nokia, and PalmOS itself) not to mention the hundreds of simple dumb phones that could do it. The fact that many people didn't know that Apple wasn't a leader can only be chalked up to crappy marketing by the other players.

    nb
  17. #57  
    Quote Originally Posted by dbd View Post
    WTH's ur problem, man? Calm down. Jeez.
    rofl lol trust me im calm.
  18. #58  
    Quote Originally Posted by dbd View Post
    With all due respect, Berd:
    Lawnmowers cannot be upgraded 'over the air'. It's apples (sorry for the pun) and oranges.


    Another one of my dumb analogies put to rest.
    Just call me Berd.
  19. #59  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    How many times are people going to repeat this? I never argued they did. Simply saying it's absurd to argue that Precorder is Palm's offering of video recording on WebOS.
    I understood that, and agree. My point was that it's just as absurd to ask "what happened to 'video recording by the end of the year'", which (at least originally) is what this thread is all about.

    You see the connection, right?
  20. #60  
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post


    Another one of my dumb analogies put to rest.
    LoL. It's ok.
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Posting Permissions