Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 126
  1. #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Where's precorder mentioned on Palm's site again?
  2. #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Where's precorder mentioned on Palm's site again?
    right next to where vid recording is said to be available by end of year.
  3. #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by ruffian View Post
    To those people who believe because iPhone users had to wait 3 years for x functionality that we should too, some of us here disagree so please agree to disagree or get an iPhone.
    I agree. If I came out with a new car, and didn't include airbags or seatbelts, could I say Ford took years before they included those features? Using "iPhone users had to wait 3 years" is a dumb argument.

    I love my Pre, but I am still waiting for Flash and less lag. As far as apps go, I am happy with what is already available...Gaming...I always have my iPod touch.
  4. angiest's Avatar
    Posts
    933 Posts
    Global Posts
    952 Global Posts
    #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by dbd View Post
    Is video recording by the end of the year on Palm's site?
  5. #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by Leke View Post
    People are getting a little too excited over updates released by Palm. I think the Placebo effect is taking over as well. No the device is not fast, loading general apps like calendar, phone and browser are still slow compared to rinky dink flip phones. I should now shout praises because Palm finally added forward text? Forget that, thats a feature that shoulda been on the phone from jump street. And video recording, what does pipe have to do with anything? You have regular $50 flip phones that can do both w/o nearly close the internal goods as the pre has.
    No I am 100% certain my phone is snappier after 1.3.5. Just scrolling is many apps would lag. Not anymore. Seeing is believing for me. This past update was a good one.
  6. Kedar's Avatar
    Posts
    994 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,071 Global Posts
    #26  
    You can't use Precorder as an absolute counterargument.

    1. You can't see what you're recording.
    2. Quality is okay, not the greatest. (very dark video if you have little light)
    3. I can barely hear what is being said.

    Thumbs up to WebOS Internals, but they shouldn't be doing something like this.
    Palm needs to make this a native APP pronto.

    And don't compare anything to the Iphone...
    ...cause right now the Iphone has video recording while the Pre does not. It took Apple some time, but they have it now.

    I like Palm, but I wish they would work a bit more quickly on some of these key features including video recording, voice dialing, etc.


    P.S. For those who say "Palm has a video recorder: Precorder" ... Would you say that Apple has multitasking? Because if you jailbreak your Iphone, you can get multiflow, the multi-tasker. It's sorta' like rooting your Pre to get Precorder.

    If you have to jump through loops and holes to get a feature, then I wouldn't include that feature into an argument.
    So, Iphone doesn't have multitasking and the Pre doesn't have video recording.
  7. #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by madcow706 View Post
    Why does everyone compare the Pre to the iPhone when it comes to the timeline features? Palm is late to the game, needs to step it up, sell phones with features that meat or beat competitors. What industry do you know that it is ok to just play catch up? Look at android, 1 year later they are at version 2.0, and its features galore. Palm needs to step up its game, I don't think we could wait for the 3rd generation Pre, who would care at that point? If Sprint offered the droid today, how many would change? Or a new Windows Mobile 7 phone? Really, its only because the Pre was the newness on Sprint that it did well, but that time has come and gone. I would love for Palm to succeed, but its hard to root for them when they aren't even trying.
    It's a valid comparison because the iphone originally launched as a severely neutered device compared to even most dumb phones on the market. But people were so enamored with it's interface they overlooked it.

    The pre didn't launch WITHOUT as many features it's competitors already had as the iphone did.
  8. #28  
    No they didn't... they launched what they intended to launch... a phone with a browser, ipod and email. That is how they said it was and that's what they did... and the package worked very well right out of the box.

    But the techys that saw the specs of the hw and sw (basically OSX) saw the potential and demanded more and jalibroke it and showed the world what it could do... and over time, Apple gave it all to them. Remember, they NEVER wanted to give apps... they wanted to push webapps. People demanded an SDK and native apps and they fell into something that they couldnt even have imagines.

    So quite different.

    Unforunately for Palm its three years later and this is now the standard and unfortunately unable to come out with all cylinders firing.


    Quote Originally Posted by Beanis View Post
    It's a valid comparison because the iphone originally launched as a severely neutered device compared to even most dumb phones on the market. But people were so enamored with it's interface they overlooked it.

    The pre didn't launch WITHOUT as many features it's competitors already had as the iphone did.
  9. angiest's Avatar
    Posts
    933 Posts
    Global Posts
    952 Global Posts
    #29  
    1. You can't see what you're recording.
    2. Quality is okay, not the greatest. (very dark video if you have little light)
    3. I can barely hear what is being said.
    Well, 1 is apparently a technical limitation of gstreamer, one which Palm would have to overcome as well. Gstreamer will hopefully get fixed or it could be replaced with something else if there is a viable alternative.

    Can't comment on 2.

    As far as 3, the microphone seems designed to pick up sounds a few inches to maybe a foot away. Ever try talking on the speakerphone when the phone is quite a distance away? In my experience the person on the other end can't hear you very well.
  10. #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanis View Post
    It's a valid comparison because the iphone originally launched as a severely neutered device compared to even most dumb phones on the market. But people were so enamored with it's interface they overlooked it.

    The pre didn't launch WITHOUT as many features it's competitors already had as the iphone did.
    Lessee...the original iPhone had:

    A huge glass capacative touchscreen
    The most modern-looking and responsive UI at the time
    A browsing experience unsurpassed...until two years later (n900)
    An ipod inside the phone
    The best virtual keyboard at the time.

    It caught up to every missing feature from competitors in two years. Who's caught up to what it brought to the table?

    Nobody.
  11. #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by mitch2k12 View Post
    Unless Palm releases a free video recording app in the next couple days, many will be disappointed. Did 1.3.5 set the Pre up for video recording, or would the app by itslf be enough?
    Quote Originally Posted by d.moss View Post
    uhm.. already happened? precorder.
    Uhm... When did Palm release Precorder again? Oh wait... it didn't so no, it hasn't already happened. Palm has yet to release any officially sanctioned video recording app.
  12. #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Where's precorder mentioned on Palm's site again?
    I don't think it is.

    But then, I don't think any video recording is either. So, where's the grief?
  13. #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Lessee...the original iPhone had:

    A huge glass capacative touchscreen
    The most modern-looking and responsive UI at the time
    A browsing experience unsurpassed...until two years later (n900)
    An ipod inside the phone
    The best virtual keyboard at the time.

    It caught up to every missing feature from competitors in two years. Who's caught up to what it brought to the table?

    Nobody.
    And it DIDN'T have most of the features most phones at the time already had. I shouldn't even need to list them. They are well known.

    My point is, coming out with a new phone that does new innovative stuff but doesn't have other common stuff seems only ok when Apple does it.
  14. #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by donm527 View Post
    No they didn't... they launched what they intended to launch... a phone with a browser, ipod and email. That is how they said it was and that's what they did... and the package worked very well right out of the box.

    But the techys that saw the specs of the hw and sw (basically OSX) saw the potential and demanded more and jalibroke it and showed the world what it could do... and over time, Apple gave it all to them. Remember, they NEVER wanted to give apps... they wanted to push webapps. People demanded an SDK and native apps and they fell into something that they couldnt even have imagines.

    So quite different.

    Unforunately for Palm its three years later and this is now the standard and unfortunately unable to come out with all cylinders firing.
    Huh??? How is it different? Palm came out with exactly what they said they were. No promise of video.

    And spare us the "standards" nonsense. When the iPhone came out, my Palm Treo had video recording (that I didn't use).

    When a company comes out with a totally new system, you should but it (or not) based on what it does at that time unless you are willing to wait for the new features.

    When you are tired of waiting, it's simple - move on.
  15. #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanis View Post
    My point is, coming out with a new phone that does new innovative stuff but doesn't have other common stuff seems only ok when Apple does it.
    lol yeah I also find that hilarious. Everytime something awesome that is exclusive to a phone comes out. the Steve drones just say how much that feature sucks and they don't need it....until they end up getting it then they can't stop bragging =D.
  16. #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    I don't think it is.

    But then, I don't think any video recording is either. So, where's the grief?
    How many times are people going to repeat this? I never argued they did. Simply saying it's absurd to argue that Precorder is Palm's offering of video recording on WebOS.
  17. #37  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post

    When a company comes out with a totally new system, you should but it (or not) based on what it does at that time unless you are willing to wait for the new features.

    When you are tired of waiting, it's simple - move on.
    Exactly.

    I don't understand what these people are doing here on these forums knocking palm for not doing what THEY think they should do.

    You either like the Pre as it is and buy it for what it is, or you get something else that does. It's really simple.

    This mentality of "Oh I bought a Pre but I am thinking of getting rid of it because it isn't becoming an iphone or android" shows a general lack of intelligence.
  18. #38  
    Quote Originally Posted by Slayix312 View Post
    lol yeah I also find that hilarious. Everytime something awesome that is exclusive to a phone comes out. the Steve drones just say how much that feature sucks and they don't need it....until they end up getting it then they can't stop bragging =D.
    Hey give Apple a break. It takes a long time to copy old features that are standard on the market so they can be put them into a package a 2 year old can use.
  19. #39  
    Quote Originally Posted by dallashigh View Post
    The same way Apple announced the groundbreaking function of video with the introduction of the 3GS, their third generation smart phone?
    And don't forget the ground breaking function of MMS that they announced for their 3rd gen smartphone. How could they wait until the 3rd gen to release a function that every smartphone had? Surely, alot of people were dissappointed with Apple b/c the didn't have video recording and MMS. So disappointed in fact that they took to Iphone message boards and began to created threads that said that they would leave Apple if video and MMS wasn't introduced and how far behind Apple was.








    Sarcastic mode off.
    Are you trying to hurt me?
  20. Kedar's Avatar
    Posts
    994 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,071 Global Posts
    #40  
    Quote Originally Posted by Slayix312 View Post
    lol yeah I also find that hilarious. Everytime something awesome that is exclusive to a phone comes out. the Steve drones just say how much that feature sucks and they don't need it....until they end up getting it then they can't stop bragging =D.
    I think it's because what Apple brought to the table was much more than what Palm brought.

    I mean, gestures are great. So is the notifications. Multitasking a LOT of people can live without because they don't know how necessary it is...
    But when Apple came out with a slim device that allowed people to watch video, listen to music, surf the web, etc... all in one package when the competition could do very little was groundbreaking.

    Palm did release a stellar Browser but came short in video recording. This would have been great a year ago when G1 was released... but right now it's meh considering the competition has all of this and more.
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Posting Permissions