Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by addiarmadar View Post
    Turn on your wifi and connect to you AP and then try to do voice and data. Sprint like any other CDMA network DOES NOT HAVE THE ABILITY TO DO VOICE/DATA AT THE SAME TIME ON THEIR BANDS!!!! Stop being delusional. If you wants this ability, go to ATT just good luck getting consistent 3G speeds. This is why carriers are mandating the wifi on smartphones.
    GSM uses two raidio bands, one for voice and one for data. The GSM "set-up" is far more inefficient and costly to run (carrier side) when including data. Hence AT&T and T-Mobile's difficulty or slow turn around in expanding their 3G networks. GSM wasn't meant to carry this kind of data.

CDMA on the other hand is far more advanced and can carry data and voice on the same raidio frequency. I believe it was developed with data in mind. It's a wonder why the world went to an inferior technology standard as GSM. (I think it had to do with initial build-out cost as GSM was more simple and cost effective to deploy since it was only voice 'back-in-the-day').

Anyways.... Qualcomm did not design the handset hardware to split the voice and data at the handset end so were stuck with one or the other until the core chipset technology is designed to do so. The carrieres are still licensing it as-is so there's no incentive for Qualcomm to change until Verizon and Sprint force the issue.
    Quote Originally Posted by MilenkoD View Post
    GSM uses two raidio bands, one for voice and one for data. The GSM "set-up" is far more inefficient and costly to run (carrier side) when including data. Hence AT&T and T-Mobile's difficulty or slow turn around in expanding their 3G networks. GSM wasn't meant to carry this kind of data.

CDMA on the other hand is far more advanced and can carry data and voice on the same raidio frequency. I believe it was developed with data in mind. It's a wonder why the world went to an inferior technology standard as GSM. (I think it had to do with initial build-out cost as GSM was more simple and cost effective to deploy since it was only voice 'back-in-the-day').

Anyways.... Qualcomm did not design the handset hardware to split the voice and data at the handset end so were stuck with one or the other until the core chipset technology is designed to do so. The carrieres are still licensing it as-is so there's no incentive for Qualcomm to change until Verizon and Sprint force the issue.
    See WiMax vs LTE for a future repeat of this nonsense.
    Quote Originally Posted by gump666 View Post
    so after the update yesterday, i can no longer access the web while on a call. i have been able to do this since i have owned the phone.
    No you haven't.
    Quote Originally Posted by SaltySteve View Post
    I noticed the same thing last night.
    Then you never tried to do it before last night.
    Quote Originally Posted by PreMaster View Post
    Ok im glad somebody posted this, because i swear before webos 1.3.1 i used to be able to surf and talk at the same time.
    No you didn't.
    Quote Originally Posted by donm527 View Post
    Anything is possible.
    No it isn't.
    With a number of different bugs/glitches this phone has/had... it is quite possible that a few had the symptom of being able to surf and talk on the phone.
    No it isn't.
    I guess 1.3.5 took care of that glitch.
    No it didn't.
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by addiarmadar View Post
    Sprint like any other CDMA network DOES NOT HAVE THE ABILITY TO DO VOICE/DATA AT THE SAME TIME ON THEIR BANDS!!!!
    Correct!
    Quote Originally Posted by DesertSilver View Post
    You are mistaken.
    Correct!
    Quote Originally Posted by ryleyinstl View Post
    The implementation of CDMA used by Sprint does not support the simultaneous use of voice and data. You must have had Wi-Fi enabled.
    Correct!

This is even worse than all those people claiming their LED notifications were magically enabled after doing an update.
    ----------------------------------------------
    Here's the skinny, guys:

Now I pray a mod will lock this thread for all time!
    AT&T and Verizon and the rest of the world (most of it) is going to LTE while Sprint and I think some Koreans are doing WiMax while Sprint has made it clear that their hardware can be converted to LTE easily.

I really don't think it will be the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Leathal View Post
    AT&T and Verizon and the rest of the world (most of it) is going to LTE while Sprint and I think some Koreans are doing WiMax while Sprint has made it clear that their hardware can be converted to LTE easily.

I really don't think it will be the same.
    Add Russia, Japan ans some middle-eastern counties too. At the current moment, there's more WiMax implementations than LTE. In fact, WiMax has been in use in commercial applications for many years now. iIt's only recently been pushed into consumer use.
    sorry my bad... i thought the last time i looked it up LTE had more support of carriers worldwide in most countrys

Add Russia, Japan ans some middle-eastern counties too. At the current moment, there's more WiMax implementations than LTE. In fact, WiMax has been in use in commercial applications for many years now. iIt's only recently been pushed into consumer use.
    Quote Originally Posted by Leathal View Post
    And with 4G, that is going to require an additional radio. So GSM handsets might skip 3G all together or have 3 radios for voice, 3G and LTE. CDMA will still only require two and ALWAYS have 3G fallback.

GSM 4G with 3 radios???..can you say Apple iThick?
    sorry my bad... i thought the last time i looked it up LTE had more support of carriers worldwide in most countrys
    You're absolutly correct. However, only one contry...as of currently...has LTE up and running and I think that is only on a limited/beta trial.
    Global Posts
    519 Global Posts
    Funny thread!
    And with 4G, that is going to require an additional radio.
    Not if the carriers elect to use a Voice Over IP solution. Which is where we will end up one day anyways.
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    Quote Originally Posted by rc46 View Post
    Not if the carriers elect to use a Voice Over IP solution. Which is where we will end up one day anyways.
    Yea..eventually when VOIP becomes more efficient and reliable than what's being used today. However, I don't see that happeneing for many years. The current infrastructure still has a lot of legs, is more ubiquitous and there's ROI to think about before the cellular voice equipement is worn-out.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12