Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    309 Global Posts
    The Palm Pre advert that should have been http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYAHsz8BxDk

Madam - I never forget a face, but in your case I'll make an exception. Groucho Marx
    Would be my luck - I hate Windows.
    i do not want anything but linux on my pre
    Global Posts
    331 Global Posts
    No. Microsoft has never performed well except on the computers/desktop. It will never compete well on the Internet or on smart phones because it will continue to intentionally deviated from standards.

It might (briefly) boost Microsoft's perception in the marketplace if it bought Palm, but the end result would be the end of WebOs and Palm with no lasting change to Microsoft's presence.
  5. ldj
    Global Posts
    264 Global Posts
    Why would they when they are working so hard to integrate the (awesome) zune software into the (horrid) windows mobile platform?

Would make no sense at this point....
    I'm not a Microsoft fan, but the article is basically correct. Where it fails is that it's all about what such a purchase would do for Microsoft. The only advantage I'd see for Palm/WebOS is that there would be a sudden infusion of money. Unless it's a lot more money than Palm is worth, I don't see where Palm's investors would be particularly interested.

If Microsoft took something of a "hands off" approach, it could be a good thing (were it to happen). While I'm not optimistice that would happen, they have been a lot more cooperative in the open source arena since the Novell suit/settlement (their licensing of EAS to competitors, for instance, totally took me by surprise). Maybe they got religion.
    ditto, blue screens on my pre would not be cool

Quote Originally Posted by odm4286 View Post
    i do not want anything but linux on my pre
    Quote Originally Posted by japark View Post
    No. Microsoft has never performed well except on the computers/desktop. It will never compete well on the Internet or on smart phones because it will continue to intentionally deviated from standards.

It might (briefly) boost Microsoft's perception in the marketplace if it bought Palm, but the end result would be the end of WebOs and Palm with no lasting change to Microsoft's presence.
    Microsoft can do some amazing things.

IE: Xbox 360, Zune 4, Xbox Live, Zune HD, etc

Then complete and utter crap on other occasions. It really depends on who Microsoft puts in charge for a particular software or hardware program. Just from reading into Microsoft and watching a few documentaries on the company Microsoft really has as innovative people as Apple or Google. They are just usually given the wag of the finger and any kind of innovative idea that is out of the norm goes down the shi*thole.

Edit: Although I also wouldn't like MS to buy Palm.
    Global Posts
    773 Global Posts
    "4. WebOS ships with a decent browser."

I would say its the best mobile browser i've used.

Sunspider on my HP G60-235DX
    Chrome: 937 ms
    IE 8: 7,489 ms (this is after it took 12 seconds for IE to fully open...)

Sunspider on my Palm Pre
    WebOS 1.3.5: 23,723 ms

I use Vista now, but i hate MS. Their stuff is junk. WinMO is for real the worst mobile OS since the beginning of time. Let Palm be Palm.
    Last edited by cashen; 12/30/2009 at 11:47 AM.
    While I am not a fan of Microsoft and personally would not care to see them buy Palm, it would be a smart move for MS.
    Global Posts
    773 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Slayix312 View Post
    Microsoft can do some amazing things.

IE: Xbox 360, Zune 4, Xbox Live, Zune HD, etc

Then complete and utter crap on other occasions. It really depends on who Microsoft puts in charge for a particular software or hardware program. Just from reading into Microsoft and watching a few documentaries on the company Microsoft really has as innovative people as Apple or Google. They are just usually given the wag of the finger and any kind of innovative idea that is out of the norm goes down the shi*thole.

Edit: Although I also wouldn't like MS to buy Palm.
    Look at the software you think MS does a good job with "Xbox 360, Zune 4, Xbox Live, Zune HD, etc " the one thing i notice about that list is the the hardware for all those is the same. One problem with their desktop software is they have to make it compatible for 10,000s of different hardware setups. Then think about the 3rd party software they have to support with their OS.

"Xbox 360, Zune 4, Xbox Live, Zune HD, etc " 1 hardware config, 1 developer. Very simple.
    Global Posts
    2,071 Global Posts
    wow... Lots of microsoft haters. I don't mind MS. I like them.
    As long as the don't mess with the software but provide money for hardware, this could all go well.
    Global Posts
    666 Global Posts
    Like some of the posters I wouldn't mind MS purchasing Palm as long as they keep their hands off of this wonderful OS.
    It would wind up being like ICQ before and after they were purchased.
    Folks, MS doesn't acquire things with the intent of taking a hands-off approach. Make no mistake, Palm/webOS would die a horrible, bloated death if MS bought Palm.
    I don't think MS would buy Palm... They have 7 and they may get it right... we'll see.

Out of all the talk of the most likely or best suitor for Palm...

I think Dell is a real candidate and heard it mentioned on CNBC the other day.

They want/NEED to get into smartphones and Palm is their direct ticket in. I loved my Axim and felt they built good PDAs so this would be good for Dell. It fills the missing piece for them.
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    To replace Windows Mobile with Web OS would be a godsend for Microsoft.
    Current Phone(s): HTC Inspire "4G" & Pre 2
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    Palm's stock is currently not moving anywhere (just checked Yahoo! Finance).
    Current Phone(s): HTC Inspire "4G" & Pre 2
    And when I did hear someone on CNBC mention Dell as a good suitor it did make me think of speculating with Palm stock...

At $10.13 it's definitely off its 52 week high of $18... I think iPhone and Android will continue to pressure Palm as well as BB... but at this price it's attractive as a nearterm buyout option (Dell offer at $15?) not to mention CES may give it a little pop if they come out with a surprise to level the playing field.

Quote Originally Posted by donm527 View Post
    I think Dell is a real candidate and heard it mentioned on CNBC the other day.
    These forums would literally explode if Microsoft bought Palm. And yes, I know what "literally" means.

That said, I don't see this happening given that Microsoft seems to be moving along with Mobile 7. In the unlikely event they did buy Palm, I REALLY don't see them leaving webOS alone and letting Palm continue their OS development.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast