Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1.    #1  
    I restored this file that I backed up before I updated to 1.3.5 and got all my contact back
    /var/luna/data/dbdata/PalmDatabase.db3
  2. #2  
    that's waz up! I just save it like that too!
  3. #3  
    Interesting. Some people were speculating the database would not work with different versions of webos. You saved the file in 1.3.1 and then replaced it into 1.3.5 with no problems? That's good to know.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by tarirene View Post
    Interesting. Some people were speculating the database would not work with different versions of webos. You saved the file in 1.3.1 and then replaced it into 1.3.5 with no problems? That's good to know.
    Also my text messages was saved and my email too
    from 131 to 135
  5. #5  
    good to know.
  6. #6  
    i have always wondered about this....

    will this screw up the palm backup you have in Palm's servers? like double the contacts etc. or maybe even double your google items? This was my main concern about restoring the db file.

    Good to know it works though!
  7. #7  
    You are playing with fire with this.

    I just compared a PalmDatabase.db3 file to one I copied over a few months back (8/27/2009, couldn't tell you what OS version it was at the time). In a SQL Lite database, there is a master table that basicaly defines the other tables in the database, and their function.

    In the prior database, there were 308 entries in the master table. In the more current database, there are 296.

    More important than the 12 fewer table entries is the fact that there were many instances where data in the master table has changed (I didn't bother counting, my file comparison screen showed too many red entries to even bother).

    In short, your system may look like it's working fine, but be missing some important information (or have important information entered incorrectly), and you may not even discover it until you have lots of new data that has been entered. At that point, you likely would have to start over from scratch to fix the problem.

    I would strongly recommend against saving a PalmDatabase.db3 file from one OS version, then copying it over the db3 file on a newer OS version, no matter how many anecdotal examples I saw that it appears to be working ok.
  8. qst4's Avatar
    Posts
    300 Posts
    Global Posts
    386 Global Posts
    #8  
    Well, my Pre crashed, I think I pressed a wrong button. But I doctored to 1.3.1. Forgot to upload the database before going to 1.3.5. Got to 1.3.5 and tried to upload the 1.3.1 database and it didn't work. It uploaded but none of the original contacts showed up. However, everything uploaded correctly from Google, Palm and Facebook. I was really hoping the Splash ID stuff would reload which it did not. I may have done something wrong on my end or maybe my expectations of what should have happened were incorrect. Whatever went wrong I still think it is important to do an occasional back up of the database. I'll probably have to look into it again to make sure I understand what the process correctly.
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by qst4 View Post
    Whatever went wrong I still think it is important to do an occasional back up of the database...
    On that, I agree, but I would be careful to only directly copy the database file to the same version OS.

Posting Permissions