Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    well my 5th pre died the other day....
    1st...wifi quit
    2nd...oreo
    3rd...blown speaker
    4th...keyboard quit
    5th...touch screen quit
    when i went to my local sprint store they said since i was having bad luck with the pre they wanted to put me in another phone...i of course said hold on now,
    i don't want just any phone. i know the build quality sucks but im still a fan of webos. he replied no you, don't understand, you can have any phone in the store. well that made me stop for a moment (slight hint there).
    you see i had been waiting for sprint to get android phones when palm beat them to the gate. i got my pre on release day and grew to both love and hate it... love for its ease of use and possibilities, hate for build quality. but as a premier member i get a new phone every 12mnths. with only 5 months to go i took the opportunity to take the samsung moment, to try out android. so far i miss the ease of webos. don't get me wrong i will take the next 5 months to really give android a try. but deep inside i hope to see a new webos phone out by June...
    anyone else made the switch to android?
    how goes it so far for you?
    i find myself pinching and swiping to no avail...
    I sure am glad my pre is built better than all these people report having to replace over and over, mine is solid and I don't even have a case for it!
    i have been on my Pre since day 1 of the Pre and it is still going strong. I always read about how so many people continuously have to and get a replacement Pre. I guess I'm just one of the lucky few that still has the same one. That's not to say that there hasn't been any issues. After my phone's first major fall from about 5 feet to solid concrete, I started to get the oreo effect. A little bit of searching through the forums got me the information on how to tighten up the hinges on the slider mechanism. That took care of that issue. The cover for the micro usb port one day just fell off. I don't even charge the Pre like that abecause I have a touchstone and spare batteries to change out when I do need to change. For now I have gotten use to not having that cover there anymore. Just recently the Pre took another nasty fall. This time from about 3 feet but when it hit the floor I kicked it trying to catch it in mid air and the phone was kicked another 4 to 5 feet. Another slight oreo effect going on again. Other than these issues my phone is still going strong since day one. Hopefully when I get Pre 2 I will be able to happily retire my launch day Palm Pre.
    I must also add here, I showed off my pre to my ATT employee iphone carrying extended family at christmas and they loved it, they especially liked the speed of the youtube videos, and the quality of the display and incredible speaker.

The google maps was noticeably faster as well, we did some comparisons of 'side by side' functions so the sprint nav was not something they had to compare.

google maps would locate and lock faster on the Pre, and then search for nearby places faster, routing was about the same speed on both. Youtube would open the video and start playing faster on the 3gS but then stutter out while the pre started it seconds later and continued on. This is more a sign of the EVDO network being faster than the ATT 3g in that market.

2 of the 5 said they want a Pre when it comes to ATT
    I was in the Verizon store today helping my grandma get her driod eris and the lady behind the counter commented that Verizon is releasing the next iPhone in january to go on sale later in Q1 of 2010 and I just have to say, I'd switch to the droid or especially the iPhone in a heartbeat! I'm on my second pre and though the os is pretty good, the hardware experience has been HORRIBLE! Oreo effect on both, they wouldn't replace my first one under manufactures warranty so I had to fork over $100 for a replacement, but I love the new HTC senseUI on the droid eris. I know it's also on the hero which came out before I got my pre. As far as the iPhone comment I'd kill for one! I am a apple fanatic too though, so iTunes not playing nice with my pre nearly killed me. But since I'm a college student I'm milking the parents for every little bonus and they have been with sprint since they were 360 here in east texas which was during the car bag phone days! So I guess I'm stuck with the pre, but I couldn't make it without the precentral community and my iPhone theme
    "Aggies never lie cheat or steal, nor tolerate those who do."
    I went and bought the Hero. But I kept my pre and I keep switching back and forth every week cuz I cant make up my mind. Android is nice no doubt I LOVE BOTH ALOT MORE then windows. I think Web OS is soo early in its stages it is gonna be a KILLER in another year or 2. I think web os is one of the best already and its in its first yr!! AND weve already had 7 updates so u know there working on it and not leaving it on the back burner! While I do love my Hero I just cant seem to get away from the pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by aaron130 View Post
    I went and bought the Hero. But I kept my pre and I keep switching back and forth every week cuz I cant make up my mind. Android is nice no doubt I LOVE BOTH ALOT MORE then windows. I think Web OS is soo early in its stages it is gonna be a KILLER in another year or 2. I think web os is one of the best already and its in its first yr!! AND weve already had 7 updates so u know there working on it and not leaving it on the back burner! While I do love my Hero I just cant seem to get away from the pre.
    one thing turning me off to the Android is how many concurrent version they have going in the installed base and how you have to upgrade it all on your own. I am not a 100% automation person as I do the homebrew and all, but it feels a lot like they are leaving the G1's and the likes in the old OS without intent to push out upgrades like they should. following the MS Windows Mobile model of just buy a new phone for the new version, unless you want to hack it together.
    Global Posts
    147 Global Posts
    I'm switching to the Nexus One in January.
    Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
    My only concern with Web OS, Is will it ever be as popular and big as iPhone (of course not as big as iPhone) and Android. It seems companies are coming out with software for iPhone and Android, but where are the palm apps? Thats the only thing thats making me want to switch to android (especially with today and this update that is making my contact list messed up)
    Global Posts
    307 Global Posts
    Most us Android 1.5 and 1.6 phones are getting updates to 2.x. Even the several-months-old Archos 5 Internet Tablet is receiving a 1.6 update from it's Hero-like 1.5.
    Aaron, like you I've been going back an forth with between my Hero and my Pre. My biggest gripe with the Pre has been speed, particularly when trying to review and handle a bunch of emails. What I like best about the Hero and Android are the relative quality and quantity of graphics-rich apps (and games) and having some the menu buttons and trackball to aid in interface navigation. There just seems to be a lot of developer momentum behind Android. However, my Pre (with it's 23 patches installed) always draws me back. I continually multi-task on my device and once you've gone the WebOS way, it's hard to tolerate anything else. I gained somethings on Android but keep being drawn back to the Pre. Just this last weekend I realized that if I flushed my cache in the browser, then my emails (esp. html messages) would render faster or at least render when at times it would just hang. That email issue is what prompted my last re-activation of the Hero. Now with the significant speed boosts from 1.3.5 I'm seeing on my wife's pre (which had basically stopped opening up emails altogether) the Hero is going back to it's role as a standby.
    Last edited by 1PTUser; 12/29/2009 at 11:55 PM.
    why does it have to be as big and popular? It doesn't in my mind, as long as it does what it needs when it is needed. I don't need 90,000 farting, burping, mirror, shake for random text games....
    Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
    I dont need 90,000 useless apps, but I would like an app for my bank, and other useful apps like that. AlsoI know I am probably a VERY select few with Palm Pres in my hobby, But there is development for iPhone, BlackBerry, and Android for an App to control our reef tanks, but none for the Pre. also Another App that just went to android, thats on both iphone and blackberry, iHeartRadio, (Clear Channel Radio app, largest radio group owner 900 stations nationwide). Ive been sending messages to them often to try and get them to get an app so I can listen to my local stations. Apparently there is more of a market in Android.
    Everytime i go into the sprint store, i play with the Hero. Its a nice looking OS. I just personally like WebOS more.

The Pre's build quality is not PREfect (ha, see what i did there), but is still a nice phone in my eyes. I havent had any speaker, wifi, or touchscreen issues, but i've had the oreo thing since day one. I dont like that it does it, but its never bothered me enough to exchange it.

If palm gets WebOS over the hill its on, it might be interesting to see how many people end up switching back.

Quote Originally Posted by Shock View Post
    also Another App that just went to android, thats on both iphone and blackberry, iHeartRadio, (Clear Channel Radio app, largest radio group owner 900 stations nationwide). Ive been sending messages to them often to try and get them to get an app so I can listen to my local stations. Apparently there is more of a market in Android.
    I hear ya on that one. I wanted this on my treo pro for talk radio shows in my area, but WinMo got no love from that app either. not sure if they have now or not.
    Last edited by GarrettQ; 12/30/2009 at 12:11 AM.
    Global Posts
    358 Global Posts
    .... Ive been sending messages to them often to try and get them to get an app so I can listen to my local stations. Apparently there is more of a market in Android.
    Try a app called RadioTime, it's free and VERY good for local radio stations.
    Store Manager, Authorized Sprint Retailer and Authorized Service Center for Sprint/Nextel devices. Please post inquiries to the "Ask a Sprint rep" sticky on the CDMA North America forum.
    Rocking the Evo Shift 4G till Pre3 lands.
    Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by yoshk View Post
    Try a app called RadioTime, it's free and VERY good for local radio stations.
    Doesnt have the 1 station I am dieing to have. Darn
    My pre contract will be over july 1st. I am always going for the latest and greatest but its going to be extremmaly difficult to leave web os and my pre which i have been with since the begining. i want to go to android but its going to be hard.
    Doesnt have the 1 station I am dieing to have. Darn
    try sending an email to the dev and ask if he could add it . Maybe he will you never know unless you ask
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Hell i would too brah! miss my pre, everytime i try to use any other phone it's like a big hassle not having the easy, easy, easy! to use interface. plus all the add ons that the phone can do. There're going to have to come out with something special to top my feel and use that i get from my pre. I love it!
    Quote Originally Posted by Steph3n View Post
    I sure am glad my pre is built better than all these people report having to replace over and over, mine is solid and I don't even have a case for it!
    Me to. I only had the power button cave in on my first one somehow (was in my pocket, who knows what happened). I have the oreo effect but it's not that bad. No screen cracks by charge port, no dead pixels, everything else otherwise works.
    Palm Pre | WebOS 1.4.1.1 | Sprint
    My CarDomain - 5/30/09
    as a S|P member, I can change phone in 12 months, that would be coming Jun, however, I have yet to see anything that attracts me from android offering of sprint.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast