Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567
  1.    #121  
    Quote Originally Posted by Calvin View Post
    Great thread.

Just to toss in my 2c here, when a company sells a LOT of units, there's going to be a % of the things you pointed out in para #1. Add to this folks with issues seek out companionship online and are more vocal, and this is even more illustrative here, the big draw for Pre/webOS users.

I have to believe most folks with the products are happy or at least mostly happy. While I don't doubt there's a good # of folks that aren't, what % of the total customer base are we talking about? 1%? Less?

Ok, going to try to wander back to the thread topic... I think webOS especially with how much we've seen Palm release (bugs, a good number of features, as well as the number of updates pushed out since lauch) is doing very well.

Oh, and dbd grats on 1k posts.
    Hey, thanks Calvin.
    Before I sat outside the Sprint store that warm Texas morning waiting to be one of the first to get my hands on the Pre and it's new OS I kinda knew what I was in for. I had been following some chats about what to expect. So, I knew that I was getting a first gen phone with a first gen OS that would HAVE POTENTIAL in future to be a better,smarter, more user controlled environment, that allowed opening of different apps at the same time, and came with an app catalog (to be filled later). I knew this would be an adventure, not the same old boring smartphones offered by Sprint, but the chance to get into a really cool phone that had a lot of user controllabilty (sp).

I think that most of us here know this is just the beginning and things are in their infant stage still with this OS. If Palm will stay the course and can make it in this difficult economy we find ourselves all in, then I believe things will get better for Palm and WebOS.

Still going to have to take down the giant shinny Apple or at least be as good!

What happens if and when Iphone comes to other carriers? Will everyone flock to it because it's the best thing out there when it comes to stable smartphones?

Starting to remind me of the PC vs.Mac debates. Do you want to be a "shade tree" PC guy, or live in the pretty little world controlled by Apple where everything is nice and neat. Everyone has a right to choose. I think it's all about two types of users, some are more adventurous then others, and some just want it nice, neat, and ready to function out of the box. Nothing wrong with either type.

Just more of my two cents...but we are still in the adventurous stage.
  3.    #123  
    If I only had five cents for everyone that throws in their two cents....
    Quote Originally Posted by dbd View Post
    If I only had five cents for everyone that throws in their two cents....
    Lol. Congrats on 1000, meet ya there in six or so months (by which time you'll be at 2000 of course. Heh)

So I probably don't know enough about the tech business world to be worried or not worried. I just know I love my Pre and webOS and really want Palm to succeed and be around for the long haul. That way I can keep using this stuff.
    Blaize, Mistress of Verbosity

Be nice until it's time to not be nice.--Dalton, "Roadhouse"
  5.    #125  
    Quote Originally Posted by Blaize View Post
    Lol. Congrats on 1000, meet ya there in six or so months (by which time you'll be at 2000 of course. Heh)
    Thank you, Blaize/Janie/Mistress.
    Looking forward to it.
    after updating to webos 1.3.5 my yahoo messenger wont connect...it keeps saying "could not conntect to the server. try again." ...i've even tried removin the yahoo acct and adding it back, but i get the same error. does anyone know how to fix this or what might be causing the issue? and the funny thing is, the email associated w/ that same yahoo acct is working just fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Siraris View Post
    So you've proven my point, the Pre is playing catchup, and will continue to do so for the foreseeable future.
    Precisely. The Pre started out behind the pack technologically and indications to date show Palm losing ground not gaining ground, technologically and market share-wise. All of the potential in the world does Palm no good if they don't ever get around to fulfilling that potential.
  8.    #128  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    Precisely. The Pre started out behind the pack technologically and indications to date show Palm losing ground not gaining ground, technologically and market share-wise. All of the potential in the world does Palm no good if they don't ever get around to fulfilling that potential.
    Like they say in sports:
    "Potential will get you traded."
    Kupe and dbd - True enough. Of course, you guys are ready to trade after the first half of the season. Usually, rookies get longer than that to prove themselves.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
  10.    #130  
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    Kupe and dbd - True enough. Of course, you guys are ready to trade after the first half of the season. Usually, rookies get longer than that to prove themselves.
    In the blazing fast world of technology, things get obsolete before they are even put on the public market. The clock ticks alot faster.
    In the blazing fast world of technology, things get obsolete before they are even put on the public market. The clock ticks alot faster.
    Not _that_ much faster. And once again it should be said: Palm could absolutely fail. But, I simply can't think of anything they could be doing with their limited resources that they're not already doing. And so it's just not worth beating the "Palm is behind the game" horse, which was already dead the first time it was mentioned on this forum. And it's really starting to stink.

How's _that_ for switching metaphors?!?
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    Since 1.3.5, I no longer have to "manually check each account" after a reboot, in order to get new mail notifications. This was a problem I could not shake with 1.3.1, no matter what I tried.
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    So I'm outside of the club and you think I'm a punk!!!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    Good analogy. The length of time rookies get to prove themselves is proportional to the hype accompanying them. A $20M/year signing bonus baby won't last long with only average performance.
    Good analogy. The length of time rookies get to prove themselves is proportional to the hype accompanying them. A $20M/year signing bonus baby won't last long with only average performance.
    You're comparing the Pre introduction by Palm to a $20/year signing bonus baby. I'd say a much fairer comparison would be an undrafted walk-on with the Rams, that can actually play.
  16.    #136  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    You're comparing the Pre introduction by Palm to a $20/year signing bonus baby. I'd say a much fairer comparison would be an undrafted walk-on with the Rams, that can actually play.
    The Pre certainly was not billed as a mere walk-on. It was introduced as the next best thing since sliced pizza.
    Peyton Manning was horrid his first year (and arguably not so great his second year). Good thing the Colts didn't kick him out the door.
    Global Posts
    192 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Siraris View Post
    You need something to differentiate yourself in a market to make customers want to purchase your product. So far, Palm has nothing other than card view, and how many people REALLY need to run multiple apps at once (or even care to?).
    So I take it you are still using DOS on your computer? I remember being satisfied running one application at a time when I used DOS too! I remember being wowed by the 20 megabytes of free space on my hard drive and wondering how I would ever fill it up. In that same computer it cost $250 to upgrade from 2 megabytes (not gigabytes!) of ram to 4 megabytes of ram! I believe the processor in that computer was ran at 25 mhz. It wasn't the fastest at the time but it did what I needed it to do.
    Quote Originally Posted by maceface13 View Post
    after updating to webos 1.3.5 my yahoo messenger wont connect...it keeps saying "could not conntect to the server. try again." ...i've even tried removin the yahoo acct and adding it back, but i get the same error. does anyone know how to fix this or what might be causing the issue? and the funny thing is, the email associated w/ that same yahoo acct is working just fine.
    OK, this is strange, and I don't understand it at all, but here goes:

I had the same problem last night at home (I was on WiFi). I could get out to the internet on my browser, I could get email, so I knew that connectivity wasn't the issue. Just because I thought it might be a DNS issue (I run my own DNS server), I decided to turn off WiFi, and use the EVDO WAN connection. It worked. So, I figured "OK, got a DNS issue, but I'll work on it later". Turned WiFi back on, and my Yahoo account worked (so it wasn't my DNS server).

Don't ask me... After 25 years of doing this stuff, sometimes I just write it off to FM (flippin' magic).

Try turning off your WiFi, and then reconnecting...
    The Pre certainly was not billed as a mere walk-on. It was introduced as the next best thing since sliced pizza.
    You missed the point of my analogy (and I did mean $20mil).

Walk on as in this wasn't something that was discussed. As a matter of fact, Palm completely rerouted their plans when they decided on the Pre.

So, it was their walkon that came to a losing company, and they were smart enough to realize they had a winner, and wrapped their gameplan around it.
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567