Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by dbd View Post
    Hey buddy, speak for yourself!
    I only found, and then joined, this site because i needed to vent and complain about this phone, and my wife would've yelled back at me if i complained to her. Posting here is easier than dealing with her.
    I am NOT a geek. So there. (I may be scared of my wife, but that never made anybody a geek. Maybe a dweeb, but no: NOT a geek)
    Years ago, my then 14 year old daughter (she's 29 now) went to work for the medical supply company that I did IT support for. It was an entry level job that for her that was appropriate for a 14 year old's first job.

One the way home a couple weeks after we started, she was obviously upset. I asked her why (names are changed here...) "JoeBob said you were wa geek". I said to her "Sweetie, next time JoeBob says that, ask him how much he makes for cleaning body fluids off beds and wheelchairs, then let him know that your dad makes roughly 5 times that for sitting in front of a computer all day. Geek is good"

I wear it as a badge of honor, even today
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Years ago, my then 14 year old daughter (she's 29 now) went to work for the medical supply company that I did IT support for. It was an entry level job that for her that was appropriate for a 14 year old's first job.

One the way home a couple weeks after we started, she was obviously upset. I asked her why (names are changed here...) "JoeBob said you were wa geek". I said to her "Sweetie, next time JoeBob says that, ask him how much he makes for cleaning body fluids off beds and wheelchairs, then let him know that your dad makes roughly 5 times that for sitting in front of a computer all day. Geek is good"

Geekdom has served me well, too.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    It's funny, but my wife was a bit bothered with me yesterday because I was talking about my car again. She said, "For six months I had to listen to you talk about your stupid Pre, and now I have to listen to you talk about your stupid car. Don't you talk about anything else?!?"

I answered, "Well, of course I do! There's the B&N nook I'm waiting for, and my PC needs some more memory, and my notebook needs some new drivers, and..."
    Years ago, I read an article that talked about geeky guys trying to get their wives interested in their computers. The essense of the article was this:

In the non-geek world, a guy doesn't try to get his wife to be friends with his mistress. His wife may allow him to keep a mistress, but she doesn't want to meet her and hang out with her. Geeky guys don't understand, their computer is the mistress. Don't try to make your wife and your mistress friends.

Of course, I say that, and guess which geeky guy got his wife a Pixi for Christmas?

Nice reply.
    Global Posts
    266 Global Posts
    I've never had "fears" about WebOS. If Palm went tits up today, I'd go out and buy me 2-3 brand new in the box Pres. I love this phone, this OS, and being that it's as open as it is, I'm sure that the geeks would proclaim that as "their" platform and develop things..

And if not, I'm happy with my phone how it is now..
    Quote Originally Posted by rposa View Post
    I've never had "fears" about WebOS. If Palm went tits up today, I'd go out and buy me 2-3 brand new in the box Pres. I love this phone, this OS, and being that it's as open as it is, I'm sure that the geeks would proclaim that as "their" platform and develop things..

And if not, I'm happy with my phone how it is now..
    Considering you need Palm's profile up and going to use the device...you probably want them around.
  7.    #107  
    Hey buddy, speak for yourself!
    I only found, and then joined, this site because i needed to vent and complain about this phone, and my wife would've yelled back at me if i complained to her. Posting here is easier than dealing with her.
    I am NOT a geek. So there. (I may be scared of my wife, but that never made anybody a geek. Maybe a dweeb, but no: NOT a geek)
    Nothing against geeks, of course. If it wasn't for them, we'd still be using rotary phones.
  8.    #108  
    Boy, these last 15-20 posts seem to be taking forever!
    C'mon 1000 !!
    I wanna see that little phone under my name.
    (Pitiful, huh?)
  9.    #109  
    boy, these last 15-20 posts seem to be taking forever!
    C'mon 1000 !!
    I wanna see that little phone under my name.
    (pitiful, huh?)
    + 1000
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    I think it's safest to just say, I don't agree with pretty much everything you wrote here.
    I have no doubt of that.
    Global Posts
    147 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow-360 View Post
    What in Bejesus are you talking about?!

The Pre is much faster across all boards, app performance has increased, Scrolling is smoother, heck, the calender is faster, memory leaks fixed, the browser renders much much faster with hardly any "checkerboarding", now with html5 support.

The App Catalog has been vastly improved, app limit fixed.

With regards to hardware acceleration, where have you been the past few days? OpenGL packages were found in 1.3.5 = Hardware acceleration is coming, coupled in with the NFS & NFS App Catalog Screenshot leaks, i think its safe to say what one of the headlines of CES will be. Heck, the guys at WebOS internals have ported DOOM to the Pre, and they themselves have stated SDL is directly integrated into the Luna Framework.

So the other phones may have it, so what, the future of a company doesnt rest upon implementation of 3D games.

Foundations for Flash and video recording was found in 1.3.1, safe to say both coming early 2010.

The Pre has the most advanced smartphone OS, thats what.

Give palm a break, they have ~1000 exmployers compared to 35000 and 22000 for Apple and Google respectively. Its true alot of things are still missing, and alot of optimization still needs to be done, but palm arent just sitting twiddling their thumbs, theyve been pushing out updates each month.

The company as a whole is still not out of trouble, they know it, we know it, give them time as they perfect their awesome OS, its what being a first Gen owner is all about.
    I don't think you read my post, and chose to just spout off talking points about the Pre. I understand all of those features are coming, and I was not questioning it, but where does it position Palm? The Nexus One can record video, render 3D, will be able to utilize flash as soon as the Pre is able to, and can do all of this and much more and it isn't even available yet. The Pre can not only not do those things, who knows when it will be able to? And even when it is able to, where is the benefit over Android, the iPhone, or any other modern device? What is it that makes the Pre special compared to these other devices? So far, nothing, and now the Pre's hardware is outdated with the coming of the Snapdragon and these AMOLED screens.

So you've proven my point, the Pre is playing catchup, and will continue to do so for the foreseeable future.

And you also prove my point, that Palm is at a huge disadvantage. How does a company of less than 1000 people compete with Apple and Google, who have billions of dollars of disposable income to develop and innovate. Where is the Pre's Google Goggles, or the iPhones app store?

You need something to differentiate yourself in a market to make customers want to purchase your product. So far, Palm has nothing other than card view, and how many people REALLY need to run multiple apps at once (or even care to?).
    WebOS may have the most advanced UI, but to even pretend that it is - in its current form - the most advanced smartphone OS is a complete joke.

There is a huge difference between the two terms.
  13.    #113  
    ONE more post for a 1000 !! Happy New Year everybody!!!!!!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Siraris View Post
    And you also prove my point, that Palm is at a huge disadvantage. How does a company of less than 1000 people compete with Apple and Google, who have billions of dollars of disposable income to develop and innovate. Where is the Pre's Google Goggles, or the iPhones app store?

You need something to differentiate yourself in a market to make customers want to purchase your product. So far, Palm has nothing other than card view, and how many people REALLY need to run multiple apps at once (or even care to?).

Compete does not equate to beat in this context. There is no reason why Palm can't acheive a market share which is profitable for them.

Cards and multitasking are good examples at what DOES differentiate WebOS. Isn't that what people notice first? They may not need to run multiple applications, but they are impressed by it and the cards interface.
    Wyand's post was very interesting and on point in many areas. I think Kupe has offered a very sound counter, however. The plot thickens.
  16.    #116  
    Quote Originally Posted by THAANSA3 View Post
    Wyand's post was very interesting and on point in many areas. I think Kupe has offered a very sound counter, however. The plot thickens.
    *Rubbing my hands together*
    Global Posts
    80 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mu7efcer View Post
    I can't tell how much of my own personal dissatisfaction with the Pre matches up with the general market dissatisfaction. But for me, I boil it down to this: the iPhone behaves like I expect it to and WebOS doesn't.

When I tap an application, on the iPhone it opens up quickly. On WebOS, I have to wait, and sometimes I get an error saying that I have too many cards open, when I have exactly no cards open. WebOS fails to meet my expectation.

When I go into the calendar, I expect to be able to quickly see what appointments I have and availability. iPhone does this. WebOS (even with 1.3.5) stutters and delays. WebOS fails to meet my expectations

When the phone rings, and my screen pops up the caller so that I can answer it. iPhone answers the phone. Too often, WebOS ignores my screen taps, ignores opening up the slider (on the Pre) and ultimately sends a call that I'm trying to answer to voicemail. WebOS fails to meet my expectations

I attribute much of this to speed issues. Perhaps these will be fixed when screen rendering is given to the GPU, freeing up the CPU. But IMHO, the phone fails to meet some very basic expectations: answer the phone, search my calendar, and launch an app quickly w/o error. Until these expectations are met, I don't see any way for WebOS to have a future - at least for me. I didn't buy a phone for it's coolness factor. I bought a phone to allow me to be productive. And this one makes me less productive because I spend way too much time trying to fix things that should just work, and frankly did just work on my old Centro.
    True. But IMHO none of it can go anywhere until Palm has a good OS. You seem to think that WebOS is a good OS - better than iPhone or Android. But IMHO WebOS is all flash and no substance. It's current state is almost unusable. It looks good, but it fails in fundamental ways (see above). Until Palm can deliver something that actually, ya know, works, I just don't see myself buying another one. And frankly I'm likely to abandon ship come June.

All that said, Palm, you have time. Fix it. Make WebOS more than just about flash. Fill in the missing substance. Make it actually work, and you'll keep me around. You've got until June. Good luck. I'm pulling for you.
    I agree with a lot of what you said. On the other side of this is the poor quality of the Pre. The Pre has major build issues, with the cracked screens, cracked plastic, battery issues (with the launch Pre's the battery didn't fit correctly), phones just dying out of no where (happened to me twice), oreo effect, and the list goes on and on.

I think just to help smooth things over on the hardware side (quality issues) Palms got to kick it up a notch and make features available in Web OS to appeal to users. Honestly I can't say if I will stay with the Pre next year or not. With so many good phones coming out, Android and Windows Mobile, it will be hard to stay with the Pre when it can't compare feature wise, no matter how good people think Web OS is.
    Global Posts
    570 Global Posts
    In the non-geek world, a guy doesn't try to get his wife to be friends with his mistress. His wife may allow him to keep a mistress, but she doesn't want to meet her and hang out with her. Geeky guys don't understand, their computer is the mistress. Don't try to make your wife and your mistress friends.
    Now why can't I find a woman like that?

Probably because I'm broke.
    Visor/Sprint Springboard Expansion Module > Visor Platinum > Tungsten E > Centro (work) > Palm Pre
    Global Posts
    92 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by madcow706 View Post
    I agree with a lot of what you said. On the other side of this is the poor quality of the Pre. The Pre has major build issues, with the cracked screens, cracked plastic, battery issues (with the launch Pre's the battery didn't fit correctly), phones just dying out of no where (happened to me twice), oreo effect, and the list goes on and on.

I think just to help smooth things over on the hardware side (quality issues) Palms got to kick it up a notch and make features available in Web OS to appeal to users. Honestly I can't say if I will stay with the Pre next year or not. With so many good phones coming out, Android and Windows Mobile, it will be hard to stay with the Pre when it can't compare feature wise, no matter how good people think Web OS is.
    Great thread.

Just to toss in my 2c here, when a company sells a LOT of units, there's going to be a % of the things you pointed out in para #1. Add to this folks with issues seek out companionship online and are more vocal, and this is even more illustrative here, the big draw for Pre/webOS users.

I have to believe most folks with the products are happy or at least mostly happy. While I don't doubt there's a good # of folks that aren't, what % of the total customer base are we talking about? 1%? Less?

Ok, going to try to wander back to the thread topic... I think webOS especially with how much we've seen Palm release (bugs, a good number of features, as well as the number of updates pushed out since lauch) is doing very well.

Oh, and dbd grats on 1k posts.
    Honestly, after playing with it for a few hours (in hand now) the only problem I've had is the Contact situation (which is still plaguing me as i type this) and the fact that I could not download apps at first with 1.3.5. I'm hoping to find a contact solution (all my gmail contacts show up as...a name but NO number.) and I've already taken care of the app issue, so yea...
    LG Rumor -> HTC Touch -> Palm Pixi -> Palm Pre+ (if they ever bring it to Sprint)
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast