Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 81 to 100 of 140
  1. ahaxton's Avatar
    Posts
    57 Posts
    Global Posts
    226 Global Posts
    #81  
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    3. Provide a simple yet relatively powerful development environment that leverages current trends in Web technology and the thousands of developers who already utilize HTML/CSS/JSJSJS. $In$ $the$ $background$, &$quot$;$secretly$,&$quot$; $if$ $you$ $will$, $develop$ $a$ $more$ $native$ $SDK$ $that$ $provides$ $deeper$ $access$ $to$ $the$ $hardware$, $including$ $the$ $GPU$.

    4. Generate sufficient capital to stay in business while continuing to make progress in advancing the platform. Only release features and functionality when they work well, e.g., don't release video recording until the required GPU support is available.

    5. Once the needed hardware support is available, release missing features in a very public fashion at a major industry event, such as CES. This would be one year after announcing WebOS and the Pre, demonstrating that Palm remains a viable and innovative player and thus attracting further capital for continued improvements and growth.

    I believe that we'll see the culmination of the first stage of this strategy at CES, when Palm releases Flash support (with Adobe), video recording, voice recording, and GPU-enabled games. And, we'll hear about a future WebOS release that provides full GPU support for the UI, which will make WebOS not only the most elegant, user-friendly, and productive mobile OS, but also the most efficient and highest performing.

    On the applications front, there will be two different environments: Ares for quick and easy app development by a much wider range of developers, along with a hardcore, more "native" SDK for a more traditional core of developers. This will result in a far larger group of developers capable of writing applications for WebOS than for any other platform--you won't have to be well-versed in Objective-C and Java, but if you are that kind of developer you'll be able to write applications for WebOS. An alternative theory is that all development will indeed be through Mojo, but will utilize libraries via WebGL and other technologies for better performance and deeper capabilities.

    Palm will also make it much easier for developers to release applications, by providing the ability to submit an app and get a link that a developer can put on their own Web site for distribution. In other words, developers won't be limited to selling their apps in the App Catalog according to Palm's standards. This is a huge differentiating feature from Apple and perhaps Android as well.
    This would be BRILLIANT. A two tiered development platform. The public one which allows ANYONE to be a developer, and flood the app catalog with apps quickly. Meanwhile, work with the second tier with the private "native" app catalog, and at CES release a flood of more advanced apps such as games and productivity apps that get access to the deeper underpinnings, standing there on stage with their partners.
  2. #82  
    Quote Originally Posted by ahaxton View Post
    This would be BRILLIANT. A two tiered development platform. The public one which allows ANYONE to be a developer, and flood the app catalog with apps quickly. Meanwhile, work with the second tier with the private "native" app catalog, and at CES release a flood of more advanced apps such as games and productivity apps that get access to the deeper underpinnings, standing there on stage with their partners.
    That's exactly what I think Palm is planning. Call it my first prediction for 2010.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
  3. #83  
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    Folks, there's this thing called "strategy." It's a long-term thing, you see, involving other things like "research," "planning," "tactics," "execution, "consistency," etc., etc. If you're not familiar with the concept, look it up--you might find it to be an interesting topic.

    Palm obviously has a "strategy" that they're implementing according to a timetable that they established some time ago. Note that once a "strategy" is established, it's usually prudent to _follow it_. Otherwise, one no longer has a "strategy" but rather a disjointed mess of tactics that is bound to fail sooner rather than later.

    Palm's strategy might have look something like this:

    1. Develop and release a device that was advanced enough and innovative enough to attract the market's interest, but that is feasible given the company's limited resources. This device was the Pre. Follow this up with a device that's lower-cost, simpler to manufacture, and appeals to a broader base of potential customers. That was the Pixi. Provide a next-generation operating system that is innovative and highly usable, even if somewhat limited in capabilities at the outset.

    In short, sell a device that is basically functional and a pleasure to use, understanding full well that it needs further development to be fully competitive with more established devices by much larger manufacturers with vastly superior financial resources.

    2. Release both devices first on Sprint, a carrier that would provide Palm with better financial terms, that had no strong competing devices, and that would not try to dictate the technological direction of the device. AT&T and Verizon would have been bad choices by these standards. Once the platform is more established, release on other carriers to grow the market.

    3. Provide a simple yet relatively powerful development environment that leverages current trends in Web technology and the thousands of developers who already utilize HTML/CSS/JSJSJS. $In$ $the$ $background$, &$quot$;$secretly$,&$quot$; $if$ $you$ $will$, $develop$ $a$ $more$ $native$ $SDK$ $that$ $provides$ $deeper$ $access$ $to$ $the$ $hardware$, $including$ $the$ $GPU$. $Or$, $utilize$ $emerging$ $technologies$ $like$ $WebGL$ $to$ $provide$ $the$ $same$ $capabilities$ $while$ $leveraging$ $the$ $overall$ $simplicity$ $of$ $the$ $SDK$. $In$ $the$ $meantime$, $give$ $deeper$ $access$ $to$ $developers$ $as$ $necessary$, $such$ $as$ $to$ $the$ $makers$ $of$ $Classic$ $in$ $providing$ $a$ $bridge$ $for$ $previous$ $PalmOS$ $users$.

    4. Generate sufficient capital to stay in business while continuing to make progress in advancing the platform. Only release features and functionality when they work well, e.g., don't release video recording until the required GPU support is available.

    5. Once the needed hardware support is available, release missing features in a very public fashion at a major industry event, such as CES. This would be one year after announcing WebOS and the Pre, demonstrating that Palm remains a viable and innovative player and thus attracting further capital for continued improvements and growth.

    This may or may not be a reasonable description of Palm's "strategy." Either way, the key to "strategy" is remembering that it's a long-term thing, that it requires focus and dedication, and that deviating from that strategy in a knee-jerk fashion with every short-term contingency is a big mistake. It's deadly, in fact. And this includes appeasing users who demand what they want NOW!!! or they'll LEAVE!!!

    I believe that we'll see the culmination of the first stage of this strategy at CES, when Palm releases Flash support (with Adobe), video recording, voice recording, and GPU-enabled games. And, we'll hear about a future WebOS release that provides full GPU support for the UI, which will make WebOS not only the most elegant, user-friendly, and productive mobile OS, but also the most efficient and highest performing.

    On the applications front, there will be two different environments: Ares for quick and easy app development by a much wider range of developers, along with a hardcore, more "native" SDK for a more traditional core of developers. This will result in a far larger group of developers capable of writing applications for WebOS than for any other platform--you won't have to be well-versed in Objective-C and Java, but if you are that kind of developer you'll be able to write applications for WebOS. An alternative theory is that all development will indeed be through Mojo, but will utilize libraries via WebGL and other technologies for better performance and deeper capabilities.

    Palm will also make it much easier for developers to release applications, by providing the ability to submit an app and get a link that a developer can put on their own Web site for distribution. In other words, developers won't be limited to selling their apps in the App Catalog according to Palm's standards. This is a huge differentiating feature from Apple and perhaps Android as well.

    But, the point of this post isn't to say what Palm is or isn't doing well. It's to highlight this thing called "strategy," which some folks don't seem to recognize in Palm's actions. They want Palm to ACT NOW!!! to fix what's missing in WebOS that EVERY OTHER PHONE HAS RIGHT NOW!!! in light of the fact that THE MARKET WON'T WAIT!!! When, in fact, Palm seems to be moving in a very orderly fashion toward a specific set of objectives, specifically _not_ allowing themselves to be sidetracked or derailed because of customer complaints and analyst bullshtein.

    I'd say that Palm simply understands that their best chances of long-term success and viability is to, well, think long-term and implement this thing called a "strategy." To my mind, they're doing a remarkable job, and I really hope they remain dedicated to this "strategy," whatever it may be. Palm may not survive--there are real dangers lurking out there in the real world--but they definitely will _not_ survive if they don't have a "strategy" dictating their actions. Which is a fact that often seems lost on some people.
    Reading this makes me wonder if you aren't on Palm's management team. :P

    If you aren't, I think you've hit the nail on the head. The whiners really do not understand that Palm is a company that was on the verge of death (and still might be) from quickly getting trampled in the sea of competition.

    Rubenstein and the rest of the team understand their only shot at making it is by executing a strategy that has very specific time lines and benchmarks. What I feel Jon brought to Palm was the understanding of firstly, assessing what you can ACTUALLY do given limited resources and then delivering something within those limits that's a marketable product.

    The Pre isn't perfect, but it's a damn good effort for a first generation device. I have my issues with the Pre itself, but the truth is, it has little to do with the Pre whatsoever. It's the OS, and to be honest, after having had quite a bit of experience with BlackBerry, iPhone and especially Android, WebOS is definitely in a different league.

    As I posted previously, what the Pre and WebOS lack are features. The experience itself brought on by the OS is really top tier, and I feel it's only going to get better. For the naysayers out there, you might be right, Palm might die....they just might not have enough to make it in the end..

    However, just like everyday life, with limited time and budget, you have to make choices. You have to have goals, and you have to work within those limits to achieve the goals.

    Will it be fast enough for Palm? Hard to say. However, for a company that's dwarfed by Apple, Research in Motion and Google, color me seriously impressed with what they've done so far.

    Wynand32 through some inside information or from really honed deduction, I believe, has come really really close to what the strategy is for Palm. They've been extremely metered in their approach. Slow and steady wins the race. The great news for Palm is, they don't have to win, just stay in it.
  4. #84  
    Quote Originally Posted by Crackbone View Post
    Reading this makes me wonder if you aren't on Palm's management team. :P

    If you aren't, I think you've hit the nail on the head. The whiners really do not understand that Palm is a company that was on the verge of death (and still might be) from quickly getting trampled in the sea of competition.

    Rubenstein and the rest of the team understand their only shot at making it is by executing a strategy that has very specific time lines and benchmarks. What I feel Jon brought to Palm was the understanding of firstly, assessing what you can ACTUALLY do given limited resources and then delivering something within those limits that's a marketable product.

    The Pre isn't perfect, but it's a damn good effort for a first generation device. I have my issues with the Pre itself, but the truth is, it has little to do with the Pre whatsoever. It's the OS, and to be honest, after having had quite a bit of experience with BlackBerry, iPhone and especially Android, WebOS is definitely in a different league.

    As I posted previously, what the Pre and WebOS lack are features. The experience itself brought on by the OS is really top tier, and I feel it's only going to get better. For the naysayers out there, you might be right, Palm might die....they just might not have enough to make it in the end..

    However, just like everyday life, with limited time and budget, you have to make choices. You have to have goals, and you have to work within those limits to achieve the goals.

    Will it be fast enough for Palm? Hard to say. However, for a company that's dwarfed by Apple, Research in Motion and Google, color me seriously impressed with what they've done so far.

    Wynand32 through some inside information or from really honed deduction, I believe, has come really really close to what the strategy is for Palm. They've been extremely metered in their approach. Slow and steady wins the race. The great news for Palm is, they don't have to win, just stay in it.
    By this I assume you mean the end of the world...2012?
  5. #85  
    Quote Originally Posted by dbd View Post
    For me, at least, the 'Too many cards' error seems to have been taken care of. How about you guys? Are you still getting that with 1.3.5?
    Only read the first page because I don't have the time to go through everything but this is the best thing ever so far since sliced bread. I can actually use my phone now and not have to reset it 3 times a day. The Pre is actually usable for me... It's a decent feeling.
  6. #86  
    Quote Originally Posted by Crackbone View Post
    ...
    Rubenstein and the rest of the team understand their only shot at making it is by executing a strategy that has very specific time lines and benchmarks. What I feel Jon brought to Palm was the understanding of firstly, assessing what you can ACTUALLY do given limited resources and then delivering something within those limits that's a marketable product.
    ...
    What I think a lot of folks don't understand, Wynand32 hinted at it and you touched it a lot closer, part of project management is that you establish timelines, and measureable benchmarks. What a lot of folks don't understand that is the in project management, hitting timelines ahead of schedule is a problem (not as bad as behind schedule, but close), because it means you either overestimated your goals, or you have deviated from your plan.

    I think Wynand32 is correct gernally speaking, and spot on in certain specifics (I also think he listened in on this weeks's PalmCast, which all of you should do).
  7. #87  
    The battery life is great. I hit 50% at bed time last night. Before I was leaving it off half the day and it still died before 8:00 p.m.
  8. #88  
    Quote Originally Posted by dbd View Post
    Is that with any b'cast radio app, or just a certain one? We have about four, if I can remember right.
    No, it's named "Broadcast" :-) It's a shoutcast player. One of the first, and if not for the resource usage, the best.
  9. #89  
    Quote Originally Posted by aceattorney View Post
    I've been pretty pessimistic with this phone, but the breakthrough of that dude getting Doom running on the Pre has me super amped.
    Meh. Doom runs on my lowly sansa E200 too. It ran on a pentium with a few meg of RAM. Yes, it's nice, but nothing to be really impressed about. More impressive is the SDL library itself being available. Now *THAT* opens some opportunities!
  10. #90  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    What I think a lot of folks don't understand, Wynand32 hinted at it and you touched it a lot closer, part of project management is that you establish timelines, and measureable benchmarks. What a lot of folks don't understand that is the in project management, hitting timelines ahead of schedule is a problem (not as bad as behind schedule, but close), because it means you either overestimated your goals, or you have deviated from your plan.
    I'll also add that a lot of folks don't understand is that no matter how many blogs, newsletters, news reports, etc. you read, the public is generally in the dark as far the deep internals of the operation and plans of a publicly traded business. So much so that it's illegal for an outsider to actually know the company's future high level strategic plans and actions.
  11. #91  
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    Folks, there's this thing called "strategy." It's a long-term thing, you see, involving other things like "research," "planning," "tactics," "execution, "consistency," etc., etc. If you're not familiar with the concept, look it up--you might find it to be an interesting topic.

    Palm obviously has a "strategy" that they're implementing according to a timetable that they established some time ago. Note that once a "strategy" is established, it's usually prudent to _follow it_. Otherwise, one no longer has a "strategy" but rather a disjointed mess of tactics that is bound to fail sooner rather than later.
    Strategy for the sake of strategy is an immense waste of resources. Additionally, a strategy that goes for too long without an assessment/adjustment step may not be a "mess of tactics," but it will likely be just plain wrong ... unless you believe we live in a static world full of prescient strategizers.

    I hope what you're trying to say is Palm has a goal/mission/objective/purpose they're trying to achieve. What you've described in your post is a means to an end. Without a clearly defined end, a list of means are, pun intended, meaningless. As a public corporation, Palm's primary goal/purpose is to 1. survive, 2. make money and, in turn, 3. make their stockholders (i.e. risk-taking investors) realize a worthwhile return on their investment. Your numbered items are candidate means to that goal - call it a strategy if you will. And as a strategy, Palm needs to review it ASAP because it's not working.

    1. The device they released was adequately advanced for 2009, but suffers from below-average quality due, in part, to Palm's limited resources. By the time a "lower cost" device hits the market, it's being sold for the same price as the "deluxe model." Add to the below-average hardware a partially completed operating system and hope the combination doesn't keep the market away in droves. Publicly promise to catch the OS up to the rest of the new devices on the market with regular, significant updates.

    2. Release both devices first on Sprint, a carrier that is nearly in as bad shape as Palm. Run a barely observable ad campaign that neither company can afford and hope it catches on. Count down the days, almost from the initial release day, until you can sell the phone on a large, proven network owned by a company that knows how to conduct an ad campaign.

    3. Provide a simple development environment that only attracts hobbyists and software companies already famous for their simple and occasionally useful programs. Withhold access to any form of advanced hardware and software APIs. Give "deeper access" to developers that are chosen through a random or secret process, pushing other, potentially more talented developers to wonder why they're being excluded from the real SDK. Scratch your head in wonderment while the app store program count increases at a rate that makes plate tectonics seem like unlimited-class powerboating.

    4. Announce back-to-back losing quarters with year-over-year, significant decreases in shipments. Keep the actual sales figures of the new devices a secret by mixing them in with the older, abandoned products. Fail to achieve the modest sales goal of 1,000,000 of the new devices in a month, a quarter, a six month period or more. Keep a positive attitude by proclaiming the overseas/Verizon sales will make all the difference ... probably.

    5. Wander back into CES 1 year after proclaiming to be the second coming and start the yarn-spinning all over again. Make cryptic pronouncements of GPUs, "plus" versions, and improved SDKs to make it all seem possible. Prepare for another report of bad quarterly financials.

    It's one week short of a year ago since Palm told all of us they've got a goal and a plan to get there. The one year report card indicates to me that they're no better off, and arguably worse off, than they were last year at this time. No doubt Palm was/is facing a daunting task in turning around a failing proposition, but after a full year, they shouldn't still be working on getting their device up to the Jan 2009 standard they presented at last year's CES.
  12. #92  
    Quote Originally Posted by saluki42 View Post
    By this I assume you mean the end of the world...2012?
    I thought the world was ending in 2011. I mean Oprah is going off the air then, right?
    Your Pre wants Word Whirl from the App Catalog.

    It told me.
  13. #93  
    Quote Originally Posted by Crackbone View Post
    Reading this makes me wonder if you aren't on Palm's management team. :P
    I'm not, but Palm, if you're listening, I'd love to be...
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
  14. #94  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    (I also think he listened in on this weeks's PalmCast, which all of you should do).
    Nope, but I will now.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
  15. #95  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    Strategy for the sake of strategy is an immense waste of resources. Additionally, a strategy that goes for too long without an assessment/adjustment step may not be a "mess of tactics," but it will likely be just plain wrong ... unless you believe we live in a static world full of prescient strategizers.
    I think it's safest to just say, I don't agree with pretty much everything you wrote here.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
  16. #96  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    ...
    (I also think he listened in on this weeks's PalmCast, which all of you should do).
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    Nope, but I will now.
    Actually, I listened to it after I read your post, and thought (as I listened) "Wow, that's just what Wyand32 said..." and figured you got some of it from them.

    Totally side note, I also thought, as I listened to the PalmCast "This is a lot like Big Bang Theory, except without punch lines or the good looking chick across the hall. Face it guys, there's a reason they call us geeks.
  17.    #97  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    ........... Face it guys, there's a reason they call us geeks.
    Hey buddy, speak for yourself!
    I only found, and then joined, this site because i needed to vent and complain about this phone, and my wife would've yelled back at me if i complained to her. Posting here is easier than dealing with her.
    I am NOT a geek. So there. (I may be scared of my wife, but that never made anybody a geek. Maybe a dweeb, but no: NOT a geek)
  18. #98  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Face it guys, there's a reason they call us geeks.
    Just one reason?
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
  19. #99  
    Quote Originally Posted by dbd View Post
    Hey buddy, speak for yourself!
    I only found, and then joined, this site because i needed to vent and complain about this phone, and my wife would've yelled back at me if i complained to her. Posting here is easier than dealing with her.
    I am NOT a geek. So there. (I may be scared of my wife, but that never made anybody a geek. Maybe a dweeb, but no: NOT a geek)
    It's funny, but my wife was a bit bothered with me yesterday because I was talking about my car again. She said, "For six months I had to listen to you talk about your stupid Pre, and now I have to listen to you talk about your stupid car. Don't you talk about anything else?!?"

    I answered, "Well, of course I do! There's the B&N nook I'm waiting for, and my PC needs some more memory, and my notebook needs some new drivers, and..."
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
  20.    #100  
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    It's funny, but my wife was a bit bothered with me yesterday because I was talking about my car again. She said, "For six months I had to listen to you talk about your stupid Pre, and now I have to listen to you talk about your stupid car. Don't you talk about anything else?!?"

    I answered, "Well, of course I do! There's the B&N nook I'm waiting for, and my PC needs some more memory, and my notebook needs some new drivers, and..."
    LoL. They'll never understand.
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Posting Permissions