Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Wow this update 1.3.5 is amazing me!!!....I was just using my pre emailing, web research, checking weather and more stuff....everything was moving along blazing fast....Then as i wrapped up my session and started closing cards I realized that I had kept all cards open the whole time I usually would have closed them if things slowed down.... there were over 17 cards running during that session and there was no lag!!
    Global Posts
    603 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sacherjj View Post
    "the only worth while update palm released was the ability to forward text"

Wow. Really?

You don't find these useful?

- Copy and Paste

- Paid Apps from the App Catalog

- Sprint Nav from Contacts

- Faster picture opening after taking them

- YouTube embedded in Web Pages

All of those must be "stupid". I guess as some person who has yet to forward a text and uses a majority of those updates I listed weekly, I'll disagree.
    Really copy & paste? I should shout hallelujah for something I even had on my Treo 700P?

Paid apps? Nothing new, at this point everyone is doing a centralized app store thank Apple for that not Palm

Sprint nav from contacts, whoopty do, had a plethora of 3rd party apps for my treo that did that..

** Your mentioning things that are OLD functions that old winmo and Palm OS was capable of doing, and it's now being introduced to webos as if it's something new and innovative. Gimmie a break!!
    Quote Originally Posted by sacherjj View Post
    "the only worth while update palm released was the ability to forward text"

Wow. Really?

You don't find these useful?

- Copy and Paste

- Paid Apps from the App Catalog

- Sprint Nav from Contacts

- Faster picture opening after taking them

- YouTube embedded in Web Pages

All of those must be "stupid". I guess as some person who has yet to forward a text and uses a majority of those updates I listed weekly, I'll disagree.
    I think it says something when a person sees all of those as "stupid", and the ability to forward text as the "only worth while update".
    Global Posts
    603 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by saluki42 View Post
    To me an update that makes my phone much faster and has better battery life was a great update.

But I guess thats just me. Pushing an update out nearly every month is impressive in itself.
    Anyone can push an update thats not a huge task, I think everyone is giving palm so much credit for doing something thats not typically done. Sure release a slow device and update it 3x's to make a a whee bit faster each time and voila everyone sings praises to you, I guess thats a new recipe....
    Definitely never worried, anyways, it's just a phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Leke View Post
    Really copy & paste? I should shout hallelujah for something I even had on my Treo 700P?

Paid apps? Nothing new, at this point everyone is doing a centralized app store thank Apple for that not Palm

Sprint nav from contacts, whoopty do, had a plethora of 3rd party apps for my treo that did that..

** Your mentioning things that are OLD functions that old winmo and Palm OS was capable of doing, and it's now being introduced to webos as if it's something new and innovative. Gimmie a break!!
    Look at the context of what you said. You claimed that text forwarding was the only worthwhile update (text forwarding, I might add, is an old function that's been around a while); yet all of these other "old functions" are not also worthwhile.

A little consistency, please.
    Anyone can push an update thats not a huge task, I think everyone is giving palm so much credit for doing something thats not typically done. Sure release a slow device and update it 3x's to make a a whee bit faster each time and voila everyone sings praises to you, I guess thats a new recipe....
    Anyone can? Have you?
  8.    #68  
    LOL, Herb. You should make a signature with the name; ''Literal Guy".
    Quote Originally Posted by dbd View Post
    For me, at least, the 'Too many cards' error seems to have been taken care of. How about you guys? Are you still getting that with 1.3.5?
    get it after running broadcast radio for an hour with sprint nav running at the same time. One of them is leaking, methinks.
  10.    #70  
    Quote Originally Posted by knobbysideup View Post
    get it after running broadcast radio for an hour with sprint nav running at the same time. One of them is leaking, methinks.
    Is that with any b'cast radio app, or just a certain one? We have about four, if I can remember right.
    LOL, Herb. You should make a signature with the name; ''Literal Guy".
    Seriously though. Burger flippers come on here and talk about how "easy" this is, and they don't have a clue.
  12.    #72  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Seriously though. Burger flippers come on here and talk about how "easy" this is, and they don't have a clue.
    I know. I'm not knocking you, I just thought it was funny, how you keep doing that. I love when you park on a thread and take swings at everything that's thrown at you.
    I know. I'm not knocking you, I just thought it was funny, how you keep doing that. I love when you park on a thread and take swings at everything that's thrown at you.
    I think what's really funny is how folks get their tighty whities in such a bind. It's a forum for a phone folks. I enjoy it here, but if I see a phone I like better than the Pre (come June), I'll be gone in heartbeat.

As far as taking swings, gotta do it on something where all you di is use your brain and type, I stink at baseball...
    Global Posts
    570 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    LOL @ Burger flippers! You do make your point though.
    Visor/Sprint Springboard Expansion Module > Visor Platinum > Tungsten E > Centro (work) > Palm Pre

I didn't say the the Pre shouldn't have had copy and paste from the get go. It was said that the only update that wasn't stupid was text forwarding. I think that statement is ignorant and listed the reasons why.

Moving from a 755p, I lost functionality and I gained functionality. I never had a GPS app on my Treo without third party hardware.
    Your Pre wants Word Whirl from the App Catalog.

It told me.
    I've been pretty pessimistic with this phone, but the breakthrough of that dude getting Doom running on the Pre has me super amped.
    Folks, there's this thing called "strategy." It's a long-term thing, you see, involving other things like "research," "planning," "tactics," "execution, "consistency," etc., etc. If you're not familiar with the concept, look it up--you might find it to be an interesting topic.

Palm obviously has a "strategy" that they're implementing according to a timetable that they established some time ago. Note that once a "strategy" is established, it's usually prudent to _follow it_. Otherwise, one no longer has a "strategy" but rather a disjointed mess of tactics that is bound to fail sooner rather than later.

Palm's strategy might have look something like this:

1. Develop and release a device that was advanced enough and innovative enough to attract the market's interest, but that is feasible given the company's limited resources. This device was the Pre. Follow this up with a device that's lower-cost, simpler to manufacture, and appeals to a broader base of potential customers. That was the Pixi. Provide a next-generation operating system that is innovative and highly usable, even if somewhat limited in capabilities at the outset.

In short, sell a device that is basically functional and a pleasure to use, understanding full well that it needs further development to be fully competitive with more established devices by much larger manufacturers with vastly superior financial resources.

2. Release both devices first on Sprint, a carrier that would provide Palm with better financial terms, that had no strong competing devices, and that would not try to dictate the technological direction of the device. AT&T and Verizon would have been bad choices by these standards. Once the platform is more established, release on other carriers to grow the market.

3. Provide a simple yet relatively powerful development environment that leverages current trends in Web technology and the thousands of developers who already utilize HTML/CSS/JSJSJS. $In$ $the$ $background$, &$quot$;$secretly$,&$quot$; $if$ $you$ $will$, $develop$ $a$ $more$ $native$ $SDK$ $that$ $provides$ $deeper$ $access$ $to$ $the$ $hardware$, $including$ $the$ $GPU$. $Or$, $utilize$ $emerging$ $technologies$ $like$ $WebGL$ $to$ $provide$ $the$ $same$ $capabilities$ $while$ $leveraging$ $the$ $overall$ $simplicity$ $of$ $the$ $SDK$. $In$ $the$ $meantime$, $give$ $deeper$ $access$ $to$ $developers$ $as$ $necessary$, $such$ $as$ $to$ $the$ $makers$ $of$ $Classic$ $in$ $providing$ $a$ $bridge$ $for$ $previous$ $PalmOS$ $users$.

4. Generate sufficient capital to stay in business while continuing to make progress in advancing the platform. Only release features and functionality when they work well, e.g., don't release video recording until the required GPU support is available.

5. Once the needed hardware support is available, release missing features in a very public fashion at a major industry event, such as CES. This would be one year after announcing WebOS and the Pre, demonstrating that Palm remains a viable and innovative player and thus attracting further capital for continued improvements and growth.

This may or may not be a reasonable description of Palm's "strategy." Either way, the key to "strategy" is remembering that it's a long-term thing, that it requires focus and dedication, and that deviating from that strategy in a knee-jerk fashion with every short-term contingency is a big mistake. It's deadly, in fact. And this includes appeasing users who demand what they want NOW!!! or they'll LEAVE!!!

I believe that we'll see the culmination of the first stage of this strategy at CES, when Palm releases Flash support (with Adobe), video recording, voice recording, and GPU-enabled games. And, we'll hear about a future WebOS release that provides full GPU support for the UI, which will make WebOS not only the most elegant, user-friendly, and productive mobile OS, but also the most efficient and highest performing.

On the applications front, there will be two different environments: Ares for quick and easy app development by a much wider range of developers, along with a hardcore, more "native" SDK for a more traditional core of developers. This will result in a far larger group of developers capable of writing applications for WebOS than for any other platform--you won't have to be well-versed in Objective-C and Java, but if you are that kind of developer you'll be able to write applications for WebOS. An alternative theory is that all development will indeed be through Mojo, but will utilize libraries via WebGL and other technologies for better performance and deeper capabilities.

Palm will also make it much easier for developers to release applications, by providing the ability to submit an app and get a link that a developer can put on their own Web site for distribution. In other words, developers won't be limited to selling their apps in the App Catalog according to Palm's standards. This is a huge differentiating feature from Apple and perhaps Android as well.

But, the point of this post isn't to say what Palm is or isn't doing well. It's to highlight this thing called "strategy," which some folks don't seem to recognize in Palm's actions. They want Palm to ACT NOW!!! to fix what's missing in WebOS that EVERY OTHER PHONE HAS RIGHT NOW!!! in light of the fact that THE MARKET WON'T WAIT!!! When, in fact, Palm seems to be moving in a very orderly fashion toward a specific set of objectives, specifically _not_ allowing themselves to be sidetracked or derailed because of customer complaints and analyst bullshtein.

I'd say that Palm simply understands that their best chances of long-term success and viability is to, well, think long-term and implement this thing called a "strategy." To my mind, they're doing a remarkable job, and I really hope they remain dedicated to this "strategy," whatever it may be. Palm may not survive--there are real dangers lurking out there in the real world--but they definitely will _not_ survive if they don't have a "strategy" dictating their actions. Which is a fact that often seems lost on some people.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Quote Originally Posted by RafRol View Post
    LOL @ Burger flippers! You do make your point though.
    Just for clarity - "burger flippers" is a generic term often used among professional IT folks. Generally speaking, it means someone "outside the business" (whatever that business is) that thinks they know more about the business than people inside the business.

It was not meant to be an insult to any one particular person, or group. I personally like real burger flippers, and have a waist to prove it.
    Well said, wynand32.

People all too commonly wake up one morning, check a stock price, a market share line graph, the complaint of the day about the Pre and decide Palm is going out of business next week because the Pre won't record video.

Patience, people.
    Another well said Wynand32

Clie>Treo 600p> Treo 650p>Treo 755p>Treo 800w>Palm Pre
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast