Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    My expectations for this device as of June 6 when I got it were that it would have visual voicemail, video recording, flash and voice control within a few months after launch. Still waiting, disappointed. I think overall, it is still a very good phone, and if forced to choose between the Pre and any other Sprint phone, I think I'd still take it. But I was hoping for a phone that was more complete, that not only did what it does so well, but did what other smart phones have done for years.

The Pre was released in a tough environment, with so many good Android phones coming out and the iPhone 3GS, it needed to be special. The OS is great, but the overall package, including hardware, is not good enough to create a perception that the Pre and the iPhone are in a real competition. As a result, the Pre is relegated to a long list of challengers, and its great features are lost in the shuffle.
    Wait until CES. I think this CES is going focus a lot more on live demos of incredible improvements to WebOS. There might be a mention of a new device, but I would bet on some incredible GPU utilizing apps, including a video recorder.
    Master Pants, Lord of the Universe, Groupie of Blaize

Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
    I do realize the emperor dies, but he did get to say some very cool lines.
    Master Pants, Lord of the Universe, Groupie of Blaize

Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
  4.    #44  
    Quote Originally Posted by sivan View Post
    I haven't used the 1.3.5 browser yet. Can someone describe how it was improved? Is it new features or just performance overall? I thought it was pretty fast as is before.
    Sivan, besides adding the ability to see anim gifs (I know, 1990's) correctly, it's really performance improvements overall. They fixed the clickability of links and it's harder to get the checkerboard effect now (sites load quicker) (NOT a placebo effect, btw).
    Also, if you have multiple web pages open, they don't disappear and auto-refresh nearly as much as they used to. It's just a lot better (web-browsing wise) all around. You know i would be the first to complain if this wasn't the case.
    Last edited by dbdoinit; 12/30/2009 at 08:42 PM.
  5.    #45  
    Quote Originally Posted by kirk0625 View Post
    Whats the max amount of cards you can have open after the update?
    That all depends on the kind of cards that you have open. A 'card' is a very benign term.
    Didn't have any fears about Palm's future, myself. So, 1.3.5 didn't change anything in that respect. I have found it to be a very solid update, resolving almost everything I hated about 1.3.1 and making my Pre better than following 1.2.1. If Bluetooth worked consistently with my Infiniti, I'd be even happier.

And what 1.3.5 revealed about Palm's future (GPU support, high-end gaming potential, etc.) and with the possibility of a "native" SDK of some sort, it seems like Palm's strategy might just be vindicated after all. With Ares for quick and easy app development for "masses," and lower-level access for more powerful applications for the "elite" (let's say, too tired to come up with anything catchier), Palm has created a very powerful two-pronged approach. They've opened up app development for WebOS to an entirely new class of potential developers, while (possibly) providing more powerful tools for the same group of developers who've been making the best apps for other platforms.

I can't wait to see what they reveal at CES. I think we'll all be pretty happy, and some folks might have to eat a little crow.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Quote Originally Posted by kirk0625 View Post
    Whats the max amount of cards you can have open after the update?
    I got 22 cards open before I was told I had too many. I opened all of the apps that I use on a regular basis, then started opening others that I almost never use. I am very surprised because before the update, I got the too many cards warning after only 10 apps before the update.
    Quote Originally Posted by 1PTUser View Post
    While, I'm excited too, I don't think Apple's challenge is to "catch up" to Palm in any way. Palm needs to "wow" the world again and regain some of the mindshare and mojo lost due to the slow performance and poor build quality in early WebOS devices (and terrible marketing for the Pre and "Pixi" for a device name /rantoff. Sorry.) I like what I've seen today and am eagerly awaiting what's to come.
    I agree, I think that Palm has a wonderful product with WebOS but I'm scared that it will go by the way side just like Sony Beta did unless Palm gets all the bugs fixed and finds a more consumer pleasing phone.

Look at the Instinct, it had all the hardware to be a Iphone contender, but Samsung moved on instead of staying with it and supporting the development of the software to compete against the Iphone.

People like sexy phones, that look good, feel good, and make their users feel like they are some how more special then all the other cell phone users out there. Look at the whole Apple "culture", every single one of them looks down their noses at anyone that isn't an Apple owner of some kind.

We who know the potential of WebOS understand what is happening with Pre and Pixi, but most people don't understand the great changes that WebOS brings to the world of cell phones as a whole. They just see the shiny pretty thing that makes them look either cool or nerdy.

No, just having a good OS will not do it, It's going to take more then saying "our OS is better then your's". Palm is going to have to find the PERFECT combinations to de-throne Apple,

Steve Jobs knows what the consumer wants and he delivers it, Look at the Ipod vs. Mp3 players. Apple was dying and Jobs returned and saved the company with the Ipod then Itunes.

I love my Pre and am a happy Sprint customer now that I have a smartphone that competes so well with the Iphone. Palm just needs to hurry it up and find the right hardware and apps. Flash will help a lot too, but only for those who know what it means in the bigger scheme of things.
    Quote Originally Posted by GregandTink View Post
    Look at the Instinct, it had all the hardware to be a Iphone contender, but Samsung moved on instead of staying with it and supporting the development of the software to compete against the Iphone.
    In all fairness, the Instinct was a feature phone built into an iPhone-like form factor. Other than clever marketing, a touchscreen (albeit a basic one), and a full browser, the Instinct didn't have the tools or the resources to compete at the iPhone's level, nor did it intend to.

The Instinct wasn't a bad phone, but they sure had me believing I was getting an iPhone on Sprint's network. I remember the 3 "competitions" they used were GPS and the ability to download music over the network - each feature was available on probably a dozen other Sprint phones, and the EDGE network vs EvDO.

I almost feel gullible for paying the same price for a Pre as I did for the Instinct almost one year later to the day.
    Palm is indeed in a precarious position, however,not one in which is impossible to navigate.

They are playing in a league where their major competitors are flush with cash and have some better brand recognition.

I think palm has done a wonderful job up to now in continuously adding and enhancing the experience. If they come out at CES with some great new features that's focused on :

1 ease of use
    2 optimizations and additions to webos
    3 carrier announcements
    4 MARKETING

they'll be fine...

I've had the experience of using every major mobile os,and when it comes to user experience, Palm is in the same league as Apple... Now they just need the features to match.
    i love my pre,, starting to hate my carrier,, i in canada along with the rest of us canucks can not get 1.3.5 yet. nor can we get paid apps. frankly its not a deal breaker, but once my contract is up.. (long way to go lolol ) i will have to really think about going to a new palm product if its on bell. but from what i hear, telus and rogers is not much better in support of the phones, they are targeting the iphone and bb users, not the rest of the phones they sell.. which is extremely short sighted in my opinion. like any other product, fads come and go, palm has a huge rep for quality with prior products, it looks like the powers that be in Bell, dont have a freaking clue as to what the phone can do presently or what it is lined up to do in the very near future. oh well.. ill stick with palm... just probably not my carrier in the future.. go palm go
    Quote Originally Posted by Crackbone View Post
    Palm is indeed in a precarious position, however,not one in which is impossible to navigate.

They are playing in a league where their major competitors are flush with cash and have some better brand recognition.

I think palm has done a wonderful job up to now in continuously adding and enhancing the experience. If they come out at CES with some great new features that's focused on :

1 ease of use
    2 optimizations and additions to webos
    3 carrier announcements
    4 MARKETING

they'll be fine...

I've had the experience of using every major mobile os,and when it comes to user experience, Palm is in the same league as Apple... Now they just need the features to match.
    This is after introducing the Pre. Palm gets high marks for turning things around which can't be said enough. But I'd give Palm an A for webOS. C for the Pre...nice try, looks good on paper, but felt too cheap and wasn't durable. F on the marketing. D on miscellaneous such as the itunes garbage, not providing local sync, poor mgmt, palm profile, Pixi, etc.

That's a D+ overall for those keeping score. Good enough to keep them in business combined with some stock maneuvers cash wise. Not good enough long term. Palm has to do better.

Will they? Hard to say. They'll do new marketing though its hard to say if they've learned. They've dropped itunes but did nothing in return to replace it. No clue on new hardware. WebOS remains their strength.
    Quote Originally Posted by GregandTink View Post
    I agree, I think that Palm has a wonderful product with WebOS but I'm scared that it will go by the way side just like Sony Beta did unless Palm gets all the bugs fixed and finds a more consumer pleasing phone.
    I can't tell how much of my own personal dissatisfaction with the Pre matches up with the general market dissatisfaction. But for me, I boil it down to this: the iPhone behaves like I expect it to and WebOS doesn't.

When I tap an application, on the iPhone it opens up quickly. On WebOS, I have to wait, and sometimes I get an error saying that I have too many cards open, when I have exactly no cards open. WebOS fails to meet my expectation.

When I go into the calendar, I expect to be able to quickly see what appointments I have and availability. iPhone does this. WebOS (even with 1.3.5) stutters and delays. WebOS fails to meet my expectations

When the phone rings, and my screen pops up the caller so that I can answer it. iPhone answers the phone. Too often, WebOS ignores my screen taps, ignores opening up the slider (on the Pre) and ultimately sends a call that I'm trying to answer to voicemail. WebOS fails to meet my expectations

I attribute much of this to speed issues. Perhaps these will be fixed when screen rendering is given to the GPU, freeing up the CPU. But IMHO, the phone fails to meet some very basic expectations: answer the phone, search my calendar, and launch an app quickly w/o error. Until these expectations are met, I don't see any way for WebOS to have a future - at least for me. I didn't buy a phone for it's coolness factor. I bought a phone to allow me to be productive. And this one makes me less productive because I spend way too much time trying to fix things that should just work, and frankly did just work on my old Centro.
    No, just having a good OS will not do it, It's going to take more then saying "our OS is better then your's". Palm is going to have to find the PERFECT combinations to de-throne Apple
    True. But IMHO none of it can go anywhere until Palm has a good OS. You seem to think that WebOS is a good OS - better than iPhone or Android. But IMHO WebOS is all flash and no substance. It's current state is almost unusable. It looks good, but it fails in fundamental ways (see above). Until Palm can deliver something that actually, ya know, works, I just don't see myself buying another one. And frankly I'm likely to abandon ship come June.

All that said, Palm, you have time. Fix it. Make WebOS more than just about flash. Fill in the missing substance. Make it actually work, and you'll keep me around. You've got until June. Good luck. I'm pulling for you.
    Twitter: dullgeek
    Global Posts
    307 Global Posts
    We're often judged by the company we keep. Palm's most visible is currently Sprint. What does that say? (I like Sprint btw.) Where's Sling, DataViz, Adobe & others. They should be demoing on WebOS next week. Add Epic & EA Sports for games, Amazon with DoubleTwist plus Rhapsody for localized and cloud sourced media, Salesforce.com for business. LinkedIn_ Facebook, Google & Yahoo as CES 2009 partners should have deeper integration and a more unique offerings for WebOS at CES2010. Then more people may say "Hey, now I can do what I need or want to do and do it even better on a Palm."
    Global Posts
    147 Global Posts
    What did 1.3.5 fix? I don't see anything.

It doesn't change anything about the Pre, or make it any more worthwhile to own. With the coming phones like the HD2, Nexus One, Xperia, new iPhone, the Pre and Pixie become totally mediocre devices. What does the Pre have that any of these phones do not?

And everyone touts hardware acceleration at CES. IF that even happens, then it just edges it closer to phones that already have this support, and have had it for quite some time.

Palm stepped into the market, and has played catchup ever since. It's really sad, too, as the Pre had a lot of promise.
    Quote Originally Posted by Siraris View Post

It doesn't change anything about the Pre, or make it any more worthwhile to own. With the coming phones like the HD2, Nexus One, Xperia, new iPhone, the Pre and Pixie become totally mediocre devices. What does the Pre have that any of these phones do not?

And everyone touts hardware acceleration at CES. IF that even happens, then it just edges it closer to phones that already have this support, and have had it for quite some time.

Palm stepped into the market, and has played catchup ever since. It's really sad, too, as the Pre had a lot of promise.
    What in Bejesus are you talking about?!

The Pre is much faster across all boards, app performance has increased, Scrolling is smoother, heck, the calender is faster, memory leaks fixed, the browser renders much much faster with hardly any "checkerboarding", now with html5 support.

The App Catalog has been vastly improved, app limit fixed.

With regards to hardware acceleration, where have you been the past few days? OpenGL packages were found in 1.3.5 = Hardware acceleration is coming, coupled in with the NFS & NFS App Catalog Screenshot leaks, i think its safe to say what one of the headlines of CES will be. Heck, the guys at WebOS internals have ported DOOM to the Pre, and they themselves have stated SDL is directly integrated into the Luna Framework.

So the other phones may have it, so what, the future of a company doesnt rest upon implementation of 3D games.

Foundations for Flash and video recording was found in 1.3.1, safe to say both coming early 2010.

The Pre has the most advanced smartphone OS, thats what.

Give palm a break, they have ~1000 exmployers compared to 35000 and 22000 for Apple and Google respectively. Its true alot of things are still missing, and alot of optimization still needs to be done, but palm arent just sitting twiddling their thumbs, theyve been pushing out updates each month.

The company as a whole is still not out of trouble, they know it, we know it, give them time as they perfect their awesome OS, its what being a first Gen owner is all about.
    Quote Originally Posted by Siraris View Post

This is all very true and i can agree with you completely; but this is were marketing comes in. If palm can pull off making webos have more substance faster and more stable. They have a reliable phone even though these pixi and pre are becoming sub par. This is were marketing comes in. I find it very interesting how you can sell the worst product advertise a piece of garbage and if you present it very well people will buy it. People will buy what ever you just have to "sell" it to them. Blackberry on paper doesnt look too well on paper compared to other phones but what it does do it excels in and the marketing it great.

With all the new stuff coming along
    Flash
    GPU
    3D Games
    Ares
    Faster GUI
    Better apps
    Verizon and possibly At&t

I mean this phone really has not been marketed at all compared to other phones i think once ces comes and they display all these new features. Public interest will peak again and there will be an explosion of interest on verizion.
    Although they should be starting to design a pre2 or another device to keep up with the competition.
    Global Posts
    603 Global Posts
    Honestly the only worth while update palm released was the ability to forward text. Everything else was just plain stupid!! Seriously, the lack of basic functions out the box like forward text and you now introduce it like it's some new function in an update is just sad. Palm needs to do better!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Leke View Post
    Honestly the only worth while update palm released was the ability to forward text. Everything else was just plain stupid!! Seriously, the lack of basic functions out the box like forward text and you now introduce it like it's some new function in an update is just sad. Palm needs to do better!!
    "the only worth while update palm released was the ability to forward text"

Wow. Really?

You don't find these useful?

- Copy and Paste

- Paid Apps from the App Catalog

- Sprint Nav from Contacts

- Faster picture opening after taking them

- YouTube embedded in Web Pages

All of those must be "stupid". I guess as some person who has yet to forward a text and uses a majority of those updates I listed weekly, I'll disagree.
    Your Pre wants Word Whirl from the App Catalog.

It told me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Leke View Post
    To me an update that makes my phone much faster and has better battery life was a great update.

But I guess thats just me. Pushing an update out nearly every month is impressive in itself.
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast