Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by anaphora68 View Post
    How do you run the interactive power test?
    It's located within the Device Info screen (I can't remember exactly how to get there at the moment, and I'm afraid to move my Pre from the charger because my USB cord is damaged)
    Thanks! I found it, ran it.
    Device Info app, open then click preferences tab at top left corner. Then click interactive tests
    I tried to use the SmartReflex 500 patch but my phone kept locking up so I removed it. I don't have many patches on. I also reduced my Email time to check every 30 mins. And while my phone was not in use, it was draining about 6% an hour according to the battery monitor app. I had turned off wifi too. I will eventually WebOS repair it and maybe even WebOSDoctor it.
    Quote Originally Posted by theduder View Post
    I can't believe that people aren't talking about the Texas Instruments "Smartreflex" technology integrated into the OMAPs on our Pres in this thread.

After I installed the 500Mhz version of the powersave smartreflex patch, two amazing things happened:

-my Pre's battery life more than doubled, especially on standby
    -my Pre charged very fast - from nearly zero to full in about an hour

TI references these improvements to efficiency for our OMAP:

"For example, the SmartReflex technologies integrated into the OMAP3430 reduced active power consumption by 66 percent and standby power leakage by up to three orders of magnitude, while enhancing the performance of this multi-core device."
    I too have been running this patch since Nov. 25 with no problems and am enjoying awesome battery life when my pre is idle. I ran the battery monitor test on it for 10 minutes, but it came back zero, probably going to have to run it longer. I do know this, I can take my pre off of the TS charger at 10 pm and the next morning, my pre is reading 98% battery. This is with an Mugen 1400 battery, wifi on and email set to check every 30 min. It seems to me that after the 1.3.5 update that my battery life has improved. Like it says in Preware, use the SR patches at your own risk though.
    Quote Originally Posted by cowgirlupkelly View Post
    wifi and poor coverage will drain a battery quickly. This is not the phones fault.

Turn off yoru wifi when not using it and someone suggested an AIRRAVE (sp) to help with your spotty at home coverage.
    Well, it's the same coverage I had before the update, but now my battery drains about 5times as fast, and about 10% more per hour (well, actually 50% faster, from 20% to 30% per hour) with WIFI turned off, as opposed to having WIFI on. Crappy coverage or not, a phone shouldn't lose 1/5th of its charge per hour when it's sitting unused. I'm more likely to suspect that a patch is the culprit.
    Global Posts
    159 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by iubrian View Post
    Well, it's the same coverage I had before the update, but now my battery drains about 5times as fast, and about 10% more per hour (well, actually 50% faster, from 20% to 30% per hour) with WIFI turned off, as opposed to having WIFI on. Crappy coverage or not, a phone shouldn't lose 1/5th of its charge per hour when it's sitting unused. I'm more likely to suspect that a patch is the culprit.
    I uninstalled all the patches (boy is a 3x3 launcher unattractive!) and uninstalled Dealert since that updates like email. No IM accounts. Battery drain was still awful, in the same 20% hour range. Unless all the Sprint towers went down in my area and my wifi router went goofy since the moment I installed 1.3.5, it's not either of those two.

The big factor in battery drain for me is still wifi. I started tracking the other Pre in the house and wifi seems to be a big issue for that one as well.
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    I agree - I think it is the WiFi. I go wifi only in the hospital I work at (can't get a cell signal in most of it) and if I check e-mail a few times and read one or two articles on the web I lose like 25% of my battery in 1.5 hours. The other issue is that WiFi with 1.3.5 is now staying on EVEN IF you have an EVDO connection. I barely touched my phone yesterday and the phone was dead by 8pm. Not sure why that change was made. My battery life seemed much better after I turned WiFi off. Also turned off Newsroom from notifications for certain RSS feeds which was the only other recent change I think I made.
    My battery just started draining something ridiculous this morning. I did the same thing, went through EPR, removed homebrew, and turned off wifi. It appears to have solved most of the issue.

So now what, I can't have wifi on in order to get good battery life? You've got to be kidding me.

Palm, please, there is something wrong here. This is not normal, by any means.
    Global Posts
    684 Global Posts
    I have been running the Smartreflex patch with no issues on both 1.3.1 and 1.3.5.

It is the only patch I run though.

I bought a second OEM Palm battery and with two I can pretty much be without worry on trips, etc...
    Global Posts
    206 Global Posts
    Just left my phone off the charger with battery monitor running all night.

Initial battery %: 100
    Current battery %: 82
    Runtime: 10hr16m
    Drain / hour: 1.75

Wifi was on, a bunch of patches but none of the "risky" ones, checking email every 15 minutes.

Clearly this was during an idle period, so I wouldn't expect the same while the phone is in use, but that seems absolutely tremendous. I'm yelling to the neighbors about how great this battery life is.
    I re-ran battery monitor, several hour long samples with 30 second poling, and I stand corrected as to Wifi off increasing drain; in fact it was 21% with Wifi on, about 4% with it off, sitting idle. Nonetheless, still worse than what I was seeing before, and still significantly worse than the spectacular reports I have seen posted, which have left me feeling quite envious.
    Global Posts
    169 Global Posts
    My battery has been draining bad since the new update as well, including when it's on the touchstone while I use it. I've just uninstalled all patches and am going to try to Dr it to see if I can get myself a clean slate to fix it as I have so many different changes done to it that I couldn't begin to figure out the cause.
    I did the PER update and that fixed my battery life woes I was having since yesterday. Now I'm running a test to see the effects of wifi on my Pre.
    I had deleted and reinstalled my Yahoo mail account on 1.3.5 and changed the setting to check every 30 mins (from 15 mins). That's sorta when my battery life started to crap out. I just changed it to Manual and it is still automatically pushing me my emails. I kinda have a feeling that the update broke the email and it is getting pushed emails "as items arrive".
    Since the upgrade my battery usage has gotten better.
    Quote Originally Posted by PapaNoHair View Post
    Since the upgrade my battery usage has gotten better.
    I'm still waiting for 1.3.5. I hope it improves my battery life
    Global Posts
    684 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cfbauer View Post
    Just left my phone off the charger with battery monitor running all night.

Initial battery %: 100
    Current battery %: 82
    Runtime: 10hr16m
    Drain / hour: 1.75

Wifi was on, a bunch of patches but none of the "risky" ones, checking email every 15 minutes.

Clearly this was during an idle period, so I wouldn't expect the same while the phone is in use, but that seems absolutely tremendous. I'm yelling to the neighbors about how great this battery life is.

This seems to be about what SmartReflex was giving me under 1.3.1. I updated to 1.3.5 today so I'll try to report a similar overnight test.
    My battery life is quite improved since the 1.3.5 update and I live in a poorly covered sprint zone, use wifi all of the time. I did webosdoctor it thought before the 1.3.5 patch and am running preware with numerous patches. Not using the CPU patch though. Used to be I would be at the hospital and have to recharge 1/2 way through my shift, now I made it through a full shift with like 40% left and didn't do anything different.
    Global Posts
    132 Global Posts
    My battery life has improved also.
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast