Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    I am experiencing very fast battery drain post 1.3.5 also. my pre is stock and i have only added apps from the official store. updated network settings and prl, pulled battery, rebooted, etc. It seems to me like wifi is causing the drain. i turn that off and it's tolerable, remove wifi settings, reboot and readd and reconnect and same thing again. seems like it goes down 30% every 2 hours
    Global Posts
    65 Global Posts
    I had three IM account on there and even when I was not logged in it was sucking my battery down like no tomorrow. I completely removed the IM accounts and the battery is great now.
    yup checked IM accounts, only SMS. gmail set for as they arrive. it wasnt bad before 1.3.5, has gotten much worse though. i have 'cycled' it twice as in ran it all the way down and back up - not by choice though. i notice that the wifi icon is always on three bars now at home, before i would get two or sometimes 1 if i was far away from the router.
    For users who are experiencing worse battery life than before after installing 1.3.5. please PM me if you are interested in helping us generate log files and diagnose this issue further.
    Ex HP webOS Tech Support

5Ts: Five ways to get your webOS tablet working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/5Ts

6Ts: Six ways to get your webOS phone working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/6Ts
    Quote Originally Posted by HardBeatZ View Post
    For users who are experiencing worse battery life than before after installing 1.3.5. please PM me if you are interested in helping us generate log files and diagnose this issue further.
    not to be rude, but has anyone confirmed you are from palm tech support? again, just for safety I ask this.
    I go by this alias as well through the Palm forums. forums.palm.com

If you wish to PM me there with information that would be fine as well. I am labeled as a Palm Tech support as well there, that is likely the best I can provide on that matter.
    Ex HP webOS Tech Support

5Ts: Five ways to get your webOS tablet working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/5Ts

Quote Originally Posted by HardBeatZ View Post
    I go by this alias as well through the Palm forums. forums.palm.com

If you wish to PM me there with information that would be fine as well. I am labeled as a Palm Tech support as well there, that is likely the best I can provide on that matter.
    Thanks for the offer to help, in today's world just never hurts to be on the safe side of things when sending info that could contain something private.
    I am very happy with my pre and 1.3.5

Hope you can help these with odd battery issues.
    I understand completely you can never be to sure. My goal is to make webOS the best OS on the market, just as well as anyone else with Palm, and the many users here.

We really appreciate all those that have stuck with us from 1.1 to where we are now and hope to see you all where we are headed.
    Ex HP webOS Tech Support

Global Posts
    159 Global Posts
    I just got off of online chat with Palm. I have no idea if this will help: the tech had me go to the interactive power test, run it, and restart the phone. He said to wait a day to see if battery life gets any better. He said the test resets some internal firmware.

He said the next step would be the webos doctor.

(Last night I put the phone in airplane mode with wifi and bt off. This morning the battery was great and battery monitor showed over 100 hours remaining. However, as soon as I turned on either the phone or wifi, the battery nosedived.)
    my battery life sucks now too, before i could check out if there were any new apps in the cattalog, check out precentral, text some friends and make a call wasting about 5% of the battery.
    now with just 3 text i waste 5% ppercent of the battery
    Global Posts
    90 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by flamand View Post
    I just got off of online chat with Palm. I have no idea if this will help: the tech had me go to the interactive power test, run it, and restart the phone. He said to wait a day to see if battery life gets any better. He said the test resets some internal firmware.

(Last night I put the phone in airplane mode with wifi and bt off. This morning the battery was great and battery monitor showed over 100 hours remaining. However, as soon as I turned on either the phone or wifi, the battery nosedived.)
    interesting. after 1.3.5, my battery was down 30% in 2 hours, then i reset PRL,network setting, and did all interactive tests and any other hardware tests... As of now, 6 hours after unplugging, I have 76% left.

Not sure what changed, but those tests did trigger some reset, cause I am happy with this battery performance now
    my battery life is way better now and yesterday I was out and about in an are where there is little reception to going into roaming and often switching between I updated my prl settings to though might wanna try updating those
    I was having the same problems with battery drain. I was losing 8-10% per hour while my phone just sat on the table. I have an Airave, so my signal is always good. I was also using wifi.

I have run the interactive tests, updated the PRL and Network and have done a partial erase. I also went to Sprint and received a new battery. NONE of these things fixed the battery drain.

Last night I decided to try and turn wifi off. I only lost 5% total over the next 7 hours! So, I am guessing my problem is with wifi. This only started after the last update, 1.3.5.

James

***I just checked my phone and I have only lost 10% total in the last 12 hours since turning off wifi.***
    Last edited by jrmitchell72; 01/01/2010 at 11:49 AM.
    Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    From the release notes, I thought 1.3.5 was intended to address battery drain from the 3g radio in areas of questionable coverage. Last night, the restaurant we were at had me roaming the whole time and that little 'R' in my top bar was the kiss of death for my battery. When we got there at 8:30 p.m. I was at 95%. Being that I was roaming, I couldn't get on the web or even send a txt, so all I used my phone for was taking about 10 pictures w/flash, other than that, it just sat on the table. It was completely dead by 12:30 a.m.
    Global Posts
    165 Global Posts
    I'm getting .45 drain per hour but only after I fixed some things
    Global Posts
    159 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by flamand View Post

I've tried a few things and now it seems to be coming down to a wifi problem.

Yesterday I turned wifi off on the phone, left phone radio is on, and BT off as usual. Over 17 hours, the battery went from 100% to 52% with light usage (a few calls, some web browsing, a few games). That's pretty good, a drain of about 3.5% per hour.

I turned off the phone radio and turned on wifi. The battery dropped another 25% after one hour.

I recharged the battery to 100%. With both the phone and wifi on the rate of discharge with no use whatsoever is 20% per hour.

I wonder if this is the same problem other folks are seeing. So I'd like to ask those you experiencing this problem to turn off your wifi if possible and check your battery discharge rate.
    Last edited by flamand; 01/01/2010 at 09:08 PM.
    I'm also suffering significant battery drain after the update, about 21% an hour with the phone just sitting there. Have done the network updates. (My wife's pre is not much better, about 12%...although it's interesting that it's similarly configured, and getting 2x better, although still crappy). It's the same battery that came with the phone. Wifi on, sprint coverage in the house is spotty. No IM, about 15-20 patches, have drained battery 2x's; not by choice, it died overnight. Will piddle around with removing patches, but obviously I'm not pleased.
    Quote Originally Posted by iubrian View Post
    Wifi on, sprint coverage in the house is spotty. ... but obviously I'm not pleased.
    wifi and poor coverage will drain a battery quickly. This is not the phones fault.

Turn off yoru wifi when not using it and someone suggested an AIRRAVE (sp) to help with your spotty at home coverage.
    Global Posts
    684 Global Posts
    I can't believe that people aren't talking about the Texas Instruments "Smartreflex" technology integrated into the OMAPs on our Pres in this thread.

After I installed the 500Mhz version of the powersave smartreflex patch, two amazing things happened:

-my Pre's battery life more than doubled, especially on standby
    -my Pre charged very fast - from nearly zero to full in about an hour

TI references these improvements to efficiency for our OMAP:

"For example, the SmartReflex technologies integrated into the OMAP3430 reduced active power consumption by 66 percent and standby power leakage by up to three orders of magnitude, while enhancing the performance of this multi-core device."
    How do you run the interactive power test?
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast