Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
    Thanks for the cooked Bell rom. I installed and it work perfectly since then. However, I noticed that many house application icons are missing in the launcher. They are bluetooth, device info, date & times, sounds & ringtones, screen & lock , upddates, wifi, regional settings. But they could be found when you type" setup" in the universal find. I don't know if they are due to the patches or the cooked rom.
    Quote Originally Posted by tonylawca View Post
    Thanks for the cooked Bell rom. I installed and it work perfectly since then. However, I noticed that many house application icons are missing in the launcher. They are bluetooth, device info, date & times, sounds & ringtones, screen & lock , upddates, wifi, regional settings. But they could be found when you type" setup" in the universal find. I don't know if they are due to the patches or the cooked rom.
    Hmm - that's odd. Shouldn't be a problem. Worked fine on mine, and haven't heard of anyone else missing icons. They are all there in the file. Might make sure the download completed... Or maybe try installing a theme and see if that replaces your icons. Or just Doctor it again and see if it works.
    Followed Bill's instructions and have had no problems. Palm backup restored my downloaded catalog apps (though not their settings it seems), all my sync profiles, and even my Memos just fine. Had to remove and re-add my Exchange account to get it's contacts to sync up (???) and that meant re-entering the detailed custom signature for my work e-mail, but that was the only glitch. A quick entry of the konami code and a visit to Jason's excellent WebOS Quick Install got me my patches and Preware back, and Preware lead me to (omfg!) Doom!

I could not be happier that I bit the bullet and did this... I'd held off at first having never doctor'd my phone before but it really wasn't a big deal. Even took the time to go into the Sprint 1.3.5 jar for the latest Sprint Nav instead of being lazy and going with the old 1.2.1 version I'd downloaded from here once before. Thanks Bill et all!
    Yeah, uhh... it's Kevin. (KevinT was already taken.)

PalmPilot Professional, Palm V, Kyocera 7135, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Palm Prē & Prē 2, HP TouchPad & Veer
    I hate waiting, I am not a patient person generally, I hate standing in lines, I hate waiting rooms and I hate airports and most of all I hate waiting for stuff I know is coming.

I do have a sneaking idea that the update will come around CES along with the announcement and release of the app catalog to Canada if not the entire world, hence the delay.

and while I am a big fan of homebrew, patches and hacks, I am not interested in this for some reason, too many variables for my liking.
    I'm waiting for CES myself. If nothing comes of that, and Bell still won't release the update, it's nice to know I have an alternative.
    I eventually decided to do this as the LED torch app messed up the Preware app.

This worked for me on O2 UK. Does seem to run a lot smother and the web browser is loads better. No problems to report yet.

The Preware installer has been removed for preware until the Web internals can iron out all the 1.3.5 issues. So looks like i'm stuck without any patches for the moment.
    I understand those a bit worried to try this. But really, it's pretty safe. I was only worried about the local carrier settings working with the new OS. Which they did...

To be clear, I only hacked the file so the Bell stock WebOSDoctor file installed WebOS 1.3.5, nothing else. If Bell doesn't upgrade their custom stuff (which there is very little of unlike Sprint) then this is exactly what you will get anyway. Worst case, you run the Bell 1.3.1 WebOsDoctor and you are back where you are now.

It's more of a pain fotr those that patch, because you have to re-install them all. Otherwise, I had a stock 1.3.5 phone in about 20 minutes.

personally, I love the new OS. I'm happy to help anyone through this, but if you elect to wait, that's your choice, and I understand.
    I'm a complete newbie to OS modifications or jailbreaks of any kind, and I was wondering where there's an easy to understand, thoroughly detailed explanation of how to do what's been mentioned above (grab 1.3.5, access Sprint Nav, etc).

And a couple of more things - after modifying the OS, will I still be able to access (properly) all the regular features of the phone? And will it void the warranty?

Any info would be great, thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by nstan View Post
    I'm a complete newbie to OS modifications or jailbreaks of any kind, and I was wondering where there's an easy to understand, thoroughly detailed explanation of how to do what's been mentioned above (grab 1.3.5, access Sprint Nav, etc).

And a couple of more things - after modifying the OS, will I still be able to access (properly) all the regular features of the phone? And will it void the warranty?

Any info would be great, thanks!
    I'll send you a link to the modified WebOSDoctor. Once you download it, you just run it (it's a Java file so you need the latest Java Runtime Environment from Sun if you don't have it).

When it asks you to connect your phone, you need to push and hold the volume up button when connecting it to your computer until the USB symbol shows (unless you have it in Dev mode), and hit "next". When it's done (20 min or so), you will have Bell with 1.3.5... It will be Bell with 1.3.5 on it, so works the same way with the upgrades. It shouldn't void the warranty (who knows what they would claim?) but if you had issues, you could always run the WebOSDoctor for 1.3.1 and then it would be back to normal anyway. They could never tell (much like if you replaced Windows on your computer by erasing and re-installing another version).

Make sure you have your contacts backed up (I recommend gmail as opposed to just Palm). It won't erase your pictures or music, but I backed them up too, just to be safe.

Sprint Nav is a little different - the process is similar in that you need to pull the files out of the Sprint WebOSDoctor file, but you need to use WebOSQuickInstall to copy them over and manually install them. I won't go into the details here, but check out
    this link to see how it's done. Specifically note the info from Jason Robitaille (he's the man!) and that the links to the files are probably all still 1.3.1 Also, to get WebOSQI check out Jason's thread but I think that the link to the WebOSDoctor file for Sprint is old there as well. It is in this thread earlier on, though...

Incidentally, Sprint Nav is pretty nice... took me like 3 minutes to install it.
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    My question is, if for some reason this doesn't work or "bricks" the phone, and I run the 1.3.1 Bell WebOS Doctor do I lose anything? In particular my messages from AIM/SMS; are they lost (considering that they aren't backed up to Palm Profile)?
    Quote Originally Posted by abid786 View Post
    My question is, if for some reason this doesn't work or "bricks" the phone, and I run the 1.3.1 Bell WebOS Doctor do I lose anything? In particular my messages from AIM/SMS; are they lost (considering that they aren't backed up to Palm Profile)?
    If you want your messages backed up, you will need to do that on your own. Using WebOSDoctor (any of them) will lose that info. Pictures and music isn't touched, but the rest is gone. There are threads on backing up the db3 database so that you can get things back. If those messages are critical for you, then I suggest you do that first. I personally don't care about gchat or SMS history, or call logs. So there was no issue... All I wanted was my contacts back. (I suppose you might have important SMS messages - maybe talked somebody into sending you a picture! Either way, that's not something you normally get to keep when you do a "factory reset" which is pretty much what you are doing here.)

However, this will not "brick" your phone. It's almost impossible to brick a Pre. You just pop the battery in, get it into recovery mode (with the volume up key) and then re-Doctor it. It's like re-installing Windows. If you mess up, you can always re-install, right? Worst case you lose the settings, etc.

So, search the forums for backing things up that you care about, then make the call if you want to try it.
    I still do not understand why Bell is holding back this update. It has been a week! Has anyone receive any informaiton on this?
    Quote Originally Posted by Krab19 View Post
    I still do not understand why Bell is holding back this update. It has been a week! Has anyone receive any informaiton on this?
    Yeah, no kidding. I'm sure they had access to it the same time as Sprint, and it's not like they have to verify all the apps, etc. But, then again, that's Bell.
    Quote Originally Posted by bill.millett View Post
    I have uploaded the file to MegaUpload (it's 188 MB). PM me if you want it.
    Hey Bill,

Would you send me the link?

Thanks so much!
    Quote Originally Posted by micahdear View Post
    Hey Bill,

Would you send me the link?

Thanks so much!
    sent...
    I read from another post in a different link from a guy who said he talked to Bell and it was supposed to come out January 5th. Sounds plausible.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harnoy View Post
    There does not appear to be any reason for holding back on releasing an update on Bell's servers. The App Catalogue seems to be independent from the OS itself, all of the other functions operate as expected, there is no 'US ONLY' functionality present once installed....(this was one of the few reasons that I could see that might have been a real issue). There is no 'SPRINT' only functionality, or for that matter nothing that is even 'SPRINT' related.

So short of plain ignorant cussedness on the part of Bell, there should be no reason that it isn't out already. (Maybe Bell let all of their tech staff off for Christmas.....)
    it is technically possible that they have additional apps to deploy with 1.3.5 (although from how i hear you Northerners talking about bell thats pretty much unlikely 'eh?!?)
    I realized this like the day after the update, as I checked Palm's website.
    It's only for Sprint users. I forget why it said though lol
    Quote Originally Posted by Weaser999 View Post
    I read from another post in a different link from a guy who said he talked to Bell and it was supposed to come out January 5th. Sounds plausible.
    I really hope that this information is correct, i will keep my fingers crossed for now.
    at least we don't have to wait too long to see if it's true or not.