Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by rpr View Post
    Flash done, rebooted, restored, looking good so far.
    Nice. I expect that once we've gotten as far as we have, we won't see too many issues. If the Bell network is happy, then the apps should be fine. I haven't tested them all out yet, but I've yet to see a problem. Now I can share in the warmth of the 1.3.5 crowd without feeling left out!
    great news! I'll probably do this over the weekend!
    Developer of Ultimate Hockey, netSpeed, BatteryMonitor, The Ghastly Headset,
    netSpeed HD, St4rs and Matrix Exhibition
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Follow my webOS projects on my blog and follow me on twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by bill.millett View Post
    Actually, kind of the other way around. You want the Sprint WedOS with the Bell configs...

I didn't actually unzip it all (just used my zip program to add and remove but that works out to the same thing, really)

- Open the WebOSDoctor file from Sprint, and copy the WebOS.tar file from the 'resources' directory. Put this somewhere on your drive. You can close the Sprint file now.

- Open the Bell WebOSDoctor file, go to the 'resources' directory, and delete WebOS.tar

- Add the WebOS.tar file that you saved to the 'resources' directory of the Bell file. This essentially gives you a Bell WebOSDoctor file with the new WebOS.

- Run WebOSDoctor as you would normally.

- Reboot, activate, restore backup, etc.

- Note that because 1.3.5 uses the media space for apps, homebrew apps may disappear. You can re-install them once you get things working.
    That's awesome bill.millett, thanks so much for taking the time to put this together. I'm going to give it a go this evening. I've never done any work with WebOS Doctor, however it looks like there are instructions on site to help out with installing that part. The upgrade to 1.3.5 looks relatively basic thanks to your help. Happy New Year!!
  4.    #64  
    I will try this over the weekend,too. Awesome.
    Okay, I've downloaded both the Sprint 1.3.5 and Bell 1.3.1 WebOSDoctor files and I've swapped the WebOS.jar file from Sprint to Bell.

Question: Do I put the phone into the full USB mode (using the steps that are posted on Palm's website for using Doctor to restore the phone) or can the Doctor program just run the WebOS.jar file?

In other words.....exactly how do I use the Doctor program in this situation?
    Quote Originally Posted by Harnoy View Post
    Okay, I've downloaded both the Sprint 1.3.5 and Bell 1.3.1 WebOSDoctor files and I've swapped the WebOS.jar file from Sprint to Bell.

Question: Do I put the phone into the full USB mode (using the steps that are posted on Palm's website for using Doctor to restore the phone) or can the Doctor program just run the WebOS.jar file?

In other words.....exactly how do I use the Doctor program in this situation?
    Reading your question, I assume that you have not put your pre into dev mode. For how, please do a search in the forum. After putting your pre into dev mode, install novacom. Then, you can either flash your pre with the doctor file itself or through the webos quick install. For the first method, just double click on the doctor file itself (assuming you are on windows and you have jre installed). You should be good to go. DO NOT run the webos.jar file. It should be something like: "webdoctorp100ewwbellmo.jar"
    just updated to 1.3.5~~ thanx bill.millett!!

not sure if i am being delusional or what, 1.3.5 is absolutely way much snappier than previous ones. especially when it comes to landscape and portrait switching....
    Quote Originally Posted by chancekang View Post
    Reading your question, I assume that you have not put your pre into dev mode. For how, please do a search in the forum. After putting your pre into dev mode, install novacom. Then, you can either flash your pre with the doctor file itself or through the webos quick install. For the first method, just double click on the doctor file itself (assuming you are on windows and you have jre installed). You should be good to go. DO NOT run the webos.jar file. It should be something like: "webdoctorp100ewwbellmo.jar"
    Thanks for the reply, where do I locate the novacom file, and then how do I install this?
    worked for me good job guys
    got to hate bell for taking so damn long to release there update
    Got everything running. 1.3.5 is fantastic.

Thanks to bill.millett for doing the initial work on this problem.

Just to clear up some possible confusion;

After downloading both the Bell and Sprint version of WebOSdoctor and swapping the file (WebOS.tar) from the Sprint file to the Bell file. I did the following to get it installed.

1) Performed a final backup to my Palm Profile.
    2) Followed the instructions located on Palm's website to run WebOSdoctor;
    3) The update when run from WebOSdoctor will completely clear your phone, it takes about 15 minutes and will appear to stall on some of the percentage completed points every now and then.....it hasn't stalled, just leave it to do it's thing.
    4) After rebooting when the WebOSdoctor said done, I disconnected the USB cable.
    5) Checked the device info and found that WebOS 1.3.5 was indeed running and that I was fully connected to the Bell network.

Everything seems to be running just fine. All of the apps are working as they should.

Noticeable improvement in the web browsing, much faster loading then before. Some checker boarding will still show but only for a very brief flicker and at that only if you are really scrolling fast.

The Calendar app now loads the data much faster, and will switch between the day views much quicker.

The App Catalogue still displays the Beta banner so I suspect that it is something that is under the control of Bell. Unless of course the Catalogue App is a separate file located in the WebOSdoctor.jar file.....(just thought of that....I'll go look in a bit)

No difference in the Google Maps application.

No stuttering when scrolling in the Contacts app.

The WiFi signal is either coming on immediately when the phone is activated from sleep, or the WiFi signal is not shutting off at all.....can't figure out how to prove this one. If it is shut off while in sleep mode then the restart is very, very, fast!

The GUI does respond much better, not necessarily faster, but definitely smoother.

Had 14 cards open with absolutely no slow down or stuttering while moving between apps.

Overall this update is very impressive.
    Yes this update is very impressive hopefully bell can release the update to all customers. But the update process is very simple.
    What i wonder what do we do when bell puts out the update?
    Quote Originally Posted by Brawler View Post
    I suspect that nothing really needs to be done. Your updated system will report as 1.3.5 and will therefore not trigger an update notification.

I've also just finished going through the WebOSdoctor.jar file and I can't locate anything that is obviously the App Catalogue file. This probably means that the App Catalogue function is merely a call to the provider to display their current rendition of the catalogue. So likely as not there won't be any update issues here either.

If you really wanted the 'official' Bell version of 1.3.5 when it comes out then the easy way would be to download the WebOSdoctor.jar file for the latest build on the Bell network and just install it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brawler View Post
    The real question is, is Bell going to even release the update?
    Quote Originally Posted by Krab19 View Post
    The real question is, is Bell going to even release the update?
    There does not appear to be any reason for holding back on releasing an update on Bell's servers. The App Catalogue seems to be independent from the OS itself, all of the other functions operate as expected, there is no 'US ONLY' functionality present once installed....(this was one of the few reasons that I could see that might have been a real issue). There is no 'SPRINT' only functionality, or for that matter nothing that is even 'SPRINT' related.

So short of plain ignorant cussedness on the part of Bell, there should be no reason that it isn't out already. (Maybe Bell let all of their tech staff off for Christmas.....)
  17.    #77  
    I am sure they will see to the update. They were slow with 1.3.1 tooooooo...
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    How to extract it (with which programm) and how to rextract.. think I've got some problems with this..
    good to hear that everyone is getting things working! As for when Bell does release, it will only be the bell specific files that will be different, so could probably install them individually. More on that when we get there.

Nouty - I use Jzip to look at the jar, zip, and tar files. Winzip or whatever will work too. A jar file is just a zip file with java files in it...

and I agree with everyone here that 1.3.5 is way snappier in the GUI.
    FYI: I have done this on a German o2 Pre and it worked all good as far as i can tell. Only thing missing is the German translation.
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast