Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    OK - trying this now. Seems to be going OK so far. (20% done) Will update once the doctoring is done and I can try things out! I was worried that maybe there was some manifest checking on the zip, but seems to like the new WebOS.tar so far. Who knows? Maybe it will actually work. Stay tuned!
  2. rpr
    Global Posts
    216 Global Posts
    Anything to report? I'm probably going to do it myself, now that Doom is out!

edit: just noticed that you posted 2 minutes ago, so you are probably at about 50% now...
    Pilot 1000 -> Palm Pro -> Palm III -> Handspring Visor -> Palm V -> Palm TX -> Palm LifeDrive -> Kyocera 6035 -> Kyocera 7135 -> Treo 650 -> Palm Pre
    66% and counting!
    Done and rebooting....

edit: Activated, restored backup, and rebooting again
    Quote Originally Posted by bill.millett View Post
    Done and rebooting....
    This sounds like it is a decent alternative. Would you be able to post a step by step instruction on how you accomplished this?
    Quote Originally Posted by Harnoy View Post
    This sounds like it is decent alternative. Would you be able to post a step by step instruction on how you accomplished this?
    Sure, once I make sure it actually works. Seems good, but once I get things checked out I'll post steps. Wouldn't want you to waste your time.

You will need

- Sprint WebOSDoctor (1.3.5) file
    - Bell WebOSDoctor (1.3.1) file

Then basically you cut out the ./resources/WebOS.tar file from the Bell file, and drop in the ./resources/WebOS.tar file from the Sprint file.

I'll provide better instructions once I have a chance to test things out. So far it's back up and working, and installing the apps I had. Web works, phone works, Google maps works (with GPS), Wifi, etc...
    So far so good. Just about to enable Dev mode so I can use WOSQI to re-install some stuff.

I looked and I'm on Bell v1.4, with WebOS 1.3.5 Hmm. First Bell person on 1.3.5? :P
    Quote Originally Posted by bill.millett View Post
    So far so good. Just about to enable Dev mode so I can use WOSQI to re-install some stuff.

I looked and I'm on Bell v1.4, with WebOS 1.3.5 Hmm. First Bell person on 1.3.5? :P
    Congrats! when you have time let us know if there is any change in the App Catalogue.

Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by msilverton View Post
    Congrats! when you have time let us know if there is any change in the App Catalogue.

Thanks.
    Looks pretty much the same. Still beta.

(Which means Bell has NO REASON not to provide the update!)
    OK - everything seems to be working fine. I haven't put the Sprint Nav back on yet, but I've put most of the patches back, and everything seems good so far.

For those that want to try it, the steps are above. I can provide more details if it's required.
  11. rpr
    Global Posts
    216 Global Posts
    I'm guessing this is the process:

- unzip both the Bell and Sprint WebOSDoctor jar files
    - copy the Bell WebOS.tar into the Sprint tree
    - rezip the Sprint jar file
    - run the Sprint jar as any other WebOSDoctor process

Is that about right?
    Pilot 1000 -> Palm Pro -> Palm III -> Handspring Visor -> Palm V -> Palm TX -> Palm LifeDrive -> Kyocera 6035 -> Kyocera 7135 -> Treo 650 -> Palm Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by rpr View Post
    I'm guessing this is the process:

- unzip both the Bell and Sprint WebOSDoctor jar files
    - copy the Bell WebOS.tar into the Sprint tree
    - rezip the Sprint jar file
    - run the Sprint jar as any other WebOSDoctor process

Is that about right?
    Actually, kind of the other way around. You want the Sprint WedOS with the Bell configs...

I didn't actually unzip it all (just used my zip program to add and remove but that works out to the same thing, really)

- Open the WebOSDoctor file from Sprint, and copy the WebOS.tar file from the 'resources' directory. Put this somewhere on your drive. You can close the Sprint file now.

- Open the Bell WebOSDoctor file, go to the 'resources' directory, and delete WebOS.tar

- Add the WebOS.tar file that you saved to the 'resources' directory of the Bell file. This essentially gives you a Bell WebOSDoctor file with the new WebOS.

- Run WebOSDoctor as you would normally.

- Reboot, activate, restore backup, etc.

- Note that because 1.3.5 uses the media space for apps, homebrew apps may disappear. You can re-install them once you get things working.
    Edit: Disregard, forgot all about manual backup. Thanks!

Just a side question: If I doctor as above am I going to end up losing some data (ex notes, tasks, phone history)? I assume I would; never had the need to doctor before. Just seeing if it’s worthwhile or just to wait for official patch (if bell ever cooperates).
  14. rpr
    Global Posts
    216 Global Posts
    Oops, got it backwards...should be :

- unzip both the Bell 1.3.1 and Sprint 1.3.5 WebOSDoctor jar files
    - copy the Sprint 1.3.5 WebOS.tar into the Bell 1.3.1 tree
    - rezip the Bell jar file
    - run the Bell jar as any other WebOSDoctor process

edit: just saw your post saying the same thing...about to try it now...
    I think you will lose your notes and tasks, etc. You don't lose pictures, music, etc. Or contacts (assuming the backup works!)

I don't really care too much about call history, etc. so I decided to go ahead. You may be able to back those up if you really care, though.

BTW, 1.3.5 is way faster. Or at least less laggy. The way the launcher pages move is less "stylish" in that they move without the animation, but it's instant. And the touchscreen seems way more responsive. Not sure about battery life, etc, but all in all, it seems like a nice update so far.
    Quote Originally Posted by rpr View Post
    Oops, got it backwards...should be :

- unzip both the Bell 1.3.1 and Sprint 1.3.5 WebOSDoctor jar files
    - copy the Sprint 1.3.5 WebOS.tar into the Bell 1.3.1 tree
    - rezip the Bell jar file
    - run the Bell jar as any other WebOSDoctor process

Yes?
    you got it!
    Let me know how it goes. So far I'm pretty happy that I tried it. I got everything back the way it was - patches, themes, settings, etc.
    OMG! You guys up there in the north have money worth more then ours. Most of the best hockey teams, Labates Blue and now you want 1.3.5? Can't we have anything for ourselves?
    Don't worry. You will see the Palm netbook before us too.
  19. rpr
    Global Posts
    216 Global Posts
    Flash done, rebooted, restored, looking good so far.
    Last edited by rpr; 12/31/2009 at 04:06 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Finally Pre View Post
    OMG! You guys up there in the north have money worth more then ours. Most of the best hockey teams, Labates Blue and now you want 1.3.5? Can't we have anything for ourselves?
    Don't worry. You will see the Palm netbook before us too.
    Most of the best hockey players, if not the best teams. You can have the Blue (really, take it!) and we sold all of our independent breweries (Molson, Labatt and Sleemans). But really, what good is ubiquitous healthcare, a high standard of living, and lax nudity laws without 1.3.5??! Wait, nevermind.
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast