Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
  1. rpr
    Global Posts
    216 Global Posts
    I was thinking the same thing. I'm not sure what is involved, but someone here has done it, if I can find him (or if he is reading this), maybe he will do a write up for us.

Worst case, I can just doctor it to Sprint, if it doesn't work, doctor it back to Bell.
    Pilot 1000 -> Palm Pro -> Palm III -> Handspring Visor -> Palm V -> Palm TX -> Palm LifeDrive -> Kyocera 6035 -> Kyocera 7135 -> Treo 650 -> Palm Pre
  2. Vij
    Global Posts
    274 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bill.millett View Post
    yeah - sucks... Grr. Stupid Bell. On the other hand, it forces me to be patient and give everyone a chance to sort out the issues before I take the plunge. Completely against my nature...
    LOL yeah me too. I would have updated immediately if I was able to. Being forced to wait has an upside

I recall there being a multi-day wait before us Canucks got the 1.3.1 update too.

In the mean time, I'm now running patchless. My Pre 'seems' more responsive and faster, but boy do I ever miss some of those patches (4x4 etc).
    I was wondering if we could hack together a 1.3.5 base off of the Sprint ROM with the Bell stuff on top. I mean, I don't know how much changed with 1.3.5, but I've pulled Sprint Nav out of the jar and installed it (works great!) so how much would be Bell specific? Cosmetic, probably...
  4. rpr
    Global Posts
    216 Global Posts
    I can't think of anything aside from network configuration that would be Bell specific? More like what they don't have: nav, NFL, Nascar, etc.
    Pilot 1000 -> Palm Pro -> Palm III -> Handspring Visor -> Palm V -> Palm TX -> Palm LifeDrive -> Kyocera 6035 -> Kyocera 7135 -> Treo 650 -> Palm Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by rpr View Post
    I can't think of anything aside from network configuration that would be Bell specific? More like what they don't have: nav, NFL, Nascar, etc.
    yeah - pretty much. The Bellmo tar has:

audiod-config-cdma_1.0-4_castle.ipk
    cdmacustomization-bellmo_1.0.0-31_armv7.ipk
    crotest-images_1.0-2_armv7.ipk
    dmtree-bellmo_1.0.0-2_armv7.ipk
    firstuse-media_1.0-11_armv7.ipk
    palmcustomizationinfo-bellmo_1.0-131_all.ipk
    provisioner_1.0.0-8_armv7.ipk
    sweatshop-bellmo-castle_1.0-38_armv7.ipk
    installer.xml

Hmm. Wonder if you could build a hybrid WebOSDoctor. Probably some version checking stuff, but really you could uninstall the Sprint stuff and install the Bell stuff. Somebody with way more knowledge should weigh in here - I'm kinda out of my depth (but really willing to try if Bell is planning on taking too long).
    the network configs would probably need to be merged some how to keep data working but it may be possible
    Developer of Ultimate Hockey, netSpeed, BatteryMonitor, The Ghastly Headset,
    netSpeed HD, St4rs and Matrix Exhibition
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Follow my webOS projects on my blog and follow me on twitter
    Or maybe it would be easier to use the Bell WebOSDoctor and just replace the WebOS.tar from the Sprint one? I really have no idea if that would work. Worst case you have to WebOSDoctor back to 1.3.1 I suppose.

I haven't stripped all my patches yet, otherwise I might take a stab at it. Building the WebOSDoctor file would take me a minute, but I don't want to pull the patches and stuff yet.
    I might give it a stab if we don't get an update by this weekend.
    Developer of Ultimate Hockey, netSpeed, BatteryMonitor, The Ghastly Headset,
    netSpeed HD, St4rs and Matrix Exhibition
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Follow my webOS projects on my blog and follow me on twitter
  9. rpr
    Global Posts
    216 Global Posts
    I have messaged the person who said he's done it, no response yet. I will be grabbing the Sprint Doctor files regardless, and I might try it this weekend as well, depending on what happens.
    Global Posts
    625 Global Posts
    I'm sure the Bell update will be along soon. It's worth the wait guys and gals.
  11. Vij
    Global Posts
    274 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LateNiteWithJme View Post
    I'm sure the Bell update will be along soon. It's worth the wait guys and gals.
    Yeah agreed - it will be here soon! In the mean time the folks down south are testing it out for us
  12. rpr
    Global Posts
    216 Global Posts
    I just doctored my phone back to pristine Bell condition, as I think I still had some patches hanging around, as well as some theme cruft. I forgot how many homebrew apps I had...
    I wonder what will happen first. The 1.3.5 being released on Bell, or the Pre and Pixi being released on Telus?
    I just came back from the local Bell store. Thinking that maybe (small chance) that the sales staff might have some information on the update. The person I spoke to said that there is nothing currently in the pipeline for an update, and that maybe I should consider a move to an iPhone. Curious statement indeed.....either they get paid commission and thus look for any excuse to make a sale, or I was being informed to not expect any continued support for the Palm Pre from Bell.
    I think there was about a 1 1/2 week wait for 1.3.1, so I don't assume it'll take too long for us to get it. Not a big deal.
  16.    #36  
    That sales guy doesn't know more than us. What a ******.
    Sometimes I swear they pay these sales guys to be stupid.
  18. Vij
    Global Posts
    274 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Harnoy View Post
    I just came back from the local Bell store. Thinking that maybe (small chance) that the sales staff might have some information on the update. The person I spoke to said that there is nothing currently in the pipeline for an update, and that maybe I should consider a move to an iPhone. Curious statement indeed.....either they get paid commission and thus look for any excuse to make a sale, or I was being informed to not expect any continued support for the Palm Pre from Bell.
    Ignore 99% of what the Bell Store staff say... they really know nothing... and pass opinion off as fact. I bet very few of them even know 1.3.5 is out in the USA.

It's really WHEN we get the update, not IF. The rest of the non-USA Pre owners haven't received their invite to the 1.3.5 party yet either...
    Last edited by Vij; 12/30/2009 at 10:13 PM. Reason: More ranting
    Quote Originally Posted by Vermithrax View Post
    I think there was about a 1 1/2 week wait for 1.3.1, so I don't assume it'll take too long for us to get it. Not a big deal.
    That leaves me a little more hopeful as to the current update. I only got my Pre a short while ago, and so the 1.3.1 update was available almost right after I got it; I wasn't then in the habit of watching the update times so closely
    I imagine it's just an update and testing thing. Bell is not known for their speed and agility.

I'm sure somebody at Precentral will have 1.3.5 on a Bell phone before it's officially out. I might even try it tomorrow, since I'm downloading the Sprint jar file. Worst case I Doctor to Bell 1.3.1 just in time to update anyway!
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast