View Poll Results: Should I run 1.3.5?

Voters
75. You may not vote on this poll
  • Go for it!

63 84.00%
  • Don't do it!

3 4.00%
  • Its your phone, do what you feel is right.

9 12.00%
  • Hugo

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    This is my first time as a Precentral user when an update is avaiable and I'm seeing nothing but people posting bad things about it. Soooo, should I update?
    noppp... stay with 1.3.1 is better than this one !
    Global Posts
    50 Global Posts
    yes you should! The browser is so much faster, and so is the calendar...those two alone should be enough reason to update.

overall the phone seems snappier, switching between launcher pages is instantly, no more lag there.

just make sure you remove any theme and/or patches (if you have them installed) also, make sure you backup everything before installing the update.
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    I just did the update and didn't have any problems.
    Not sure where you're seeing all the negative posts, but my experience is that it's faster and smoother. There were some issues with Preware, but that's not a dealkiller.
    Update now. 1.3.5 is all rainbows and unicorns.
    90% of forum posts are complaints. People come to forums to fix there problems, so you see a lot of "I have a problem" posts.

I would go for the update. The new app catalog is worth it.
    Master Pants, Lord of the Universe, Groupie of Blaize

Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
    Think about the couple hundred posts of whiners and then think about ever other person that owns a Pre on this planet who updated and didn't come here to QQ. That should be plenty of incentive.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by Complex Pants View Post
    90% of forum posts are complaints. People come to forums to fix there problems, so you see a lot of "I have a problem" posts.
    Yeah, I figured that much. I was just scared that if it was on Palm's end I'd either have to revert back to 3.1 or wait until the next update. With that being said, I'm updating right now Thanks ya'll.
    This actually seems like a pretty smooth update to me, and the fact that it fixes the app limit makes it seem like a no-brainer IMHO.

The one consistent problem reported (which I also experienced) is that the app relocation was messed up by some Homebrew apps ... makes you unable to download from the App Catalog. You would need to get Preware and run their Emergency Migration Helper which fixed it right up for me.
  11.    #11  
    I really didn't want to install Preware but I just did. Where do I find the Migration Helper? I can't install or update apps now.

edit: Palm is really dropping the ball on everybody.
    Last edited by stir fry a lot; 12/29/2009 at 02:31 PM.
  12.    #12  
    I vote "no" on the update. Wish I had taken my advice sooner.
    Quote Originally Posted by stir fry a lot View Post
    I really didn't want to install Preware but I just did. Where do I find the Migration Helper? I can't install or update apps now.

How did Palm drop the ball? The install/update apps is complete caused by the HomeBrew installs.
    Quote Originally Posted by stir fry a lot View Post

The EMH is under "Available Packages"->"Linux Application"->"Utilities".

FWIW, the problem is caused by Homebrew apps which don't have all the components that Palm requires for official App Catalog apps. It makes their app relocation program barf ... and that has to finish before you can download any more apps. Annoying, but not necessarily Palm's fault, and the WebOS Internals folks have provided a quick/easy fix.
    Its a better version of webOS...period. There is no subjectiveness to it. It fixes more things than it breaks.
    (edit -- oops, wrong thread)

Erm ... yes on the update. But if you have patches/homebrew installed, I highly recommend running EPR to remove all patches and upgrading your IPKG service first before updating WebOS. I had a couple of hiccups that were due to homebrew stuff, but now everything's working great, and it's definitely well worth the upgrade -- some very welcome speed improvements and bug fixes here. I'm hoping this has also fixed the too many cards/having to reboot issue ... so far I haven't encountered that problem yet.
    this is a major upgrade, absolutely a must do
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    I couldn't tell much difference from 1.3.1.
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    ...But haven't had any problems. I did have to remove and reinstall preware to get it working again though.
    Global Posts
    35 Global Posts
    The browser does seem faster, except typing in certain fields freezes for a few seconds on my Pre, but still worth the update nonetheless.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast