Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
    Let me backtrack...

Before installing the update for 1.3.1, I had only one mod/unauthorized app installed, My Tether, the paid version. I uninstalled My Tether using the installer app (has an uninstall option) ... Did that thru USB.

I proceeded to use the phoned built in Updates app to install 1.3.1

... everything went well.

After updating, when I plugged in through USB, the phone didn't come up with the 3 USB choices.. but it did charge. The computer recognizes two serial based connections, but these aren't what I want. . . i want novacom to be detected, that's how the palm pre works...

I am activated on alltel, after 1.3.1 was installed, this kind of messed up my provisioning a little bit, but I was still activated on alltel, but i was roaming, and all sort of other little quirks, SO, that means, I need to re-provision it, BUT, how can I do that if I have no USB connectivity to the palm novacom !? ...

If I reset it and hold the volume button, the computer detects palm novacom, but that is only to restore the whole device and that's it.

I have tons of photos on this phone, tons of memo data, etc... stuff that isn't backed up through palm's backup App.

I updated to 1.3.5 last night, this was a smooth and successful install, I was hoping it would restore my crippled USB sync, nope, still no "3 choices" window. . .

Can someone suggest me a way to backup all of my data easily without using a USB connection so I can WebOSdoctor my phone and start all over?

I know this phone is for sprint and not alltel and all, but this could have happened to anyone, it makes no sense of why my USB connectivity would just stop working, it's like there's a service missing on my webOS installation of my phone.

SSh is not installed so I can't ssh to it and provision it or copy files, is there a way to get ssh to installed without using USB ? .. some sort of web-based backdoor or something?

I do appreciate your help a lot...

-steve

Here's a screenshot of my ports after i plug my phone in:

Last edited by steve500; 12/29/2009 at 10:49 AM.
    Global Posts
    248 Global Posts
    Turn it off and pull the battery out for a moment. Then turn it back on with the usb cable attached.

or

Turn it off and pull the battery out for a moment. Then turn it back on with a DIFFERENT USB cable attached.
    Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
    ah this forum is ****ing me off lol
    Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
    i have to have 10 posts to post my screenshot image of my device manager.

ok ill put it in my first post of this tread after i get done typing this message...

gah! haha.
    Global Posts
    249 Global Posts
    Have you tried a different computer? Seems bizarre and not a 1.3.5 issue, but an issue with your phone and your computer. Maybe they just don't like each other anymore? :-P
    Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
    Oh I've sure tried many different computers.. I've got my 3 macs and two pc's here trying to get this to roll out but it's just not working.

The mac detects it as "Pre" but nothing further. The two ports that the phone tries to mount as are unrecognizable.

The ports on the PC that it detects it as... has GakAsterman in the title of the ports, is he a writer of some sort of homebrew software that is STUCK as active on my phone since before I updated to 1.3.1?
    Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
    Whoa, Whoa, Whoa... no my phone is being detected in QPST and im able to read and write radio/modem data and provision it. Odd.

Before 1.3.5 those two same ports were being detected but weren't allowing me to do anything in QPST...

now it does.

This is good, now I can get my alltel configuration back up and going 100% and get data back.. although, I still don't have USB connectivity to Novacom (to install/uninstall homebrew apps, etc.. )

how do I get my phone UNstuck from diagnostics ports mode?
    Global Posts
    33 Global Posts
    Not recognizing my device or charging it with the USB cord to the computer after the update. Very frustrating, now I can't use Webos Quick Install.
    Global Posts
    33 Global Posts
    Also, I've restarted the phone, but it still says the the 'USB Device Not Recognized'
    The same thing happened to me last night...the problem is the usb cable. I went to the sprint store and got the cable replaced and it works perfectly fine. For some reason the usb cable goes bad. I have been having this issue off and on for about a month till last night it didn't connect at all.
    restart your computer.
    The EXACT same thing happened to me right after I got done last night. Re-install novacom, reboot comp, and then pull your battery out of your phone for 30 secs. Worked for me after that.
    install the terminal from preware and then type this "mpt x" and that should solve your problem.
    I did all of that but didn't work at all. A new USB cable solved everything.
    Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
    I would totallllllly install the terminal from preware if I didn't uninstall preware before updating the OS.

poo.

Regardless, I go the phone provisioned, but it is still stuck in Diag com port mode.
    try reinstalling the sdk.. install the newest version of the sdk. I dont know what the heck gaksterman is but i will be sure to avoid it at every cost
    MatterOfFactJack
    I too have been having the same problem. My computer no longer recognizes the Pre. I either get unknown device warning on both Vista and XP computer. Once in awhile I get lucky and it sees it. I was able to use USB mode once and make copies of my pictures/videos/files. Most of the time it may recognize the device but when I go to explore, I see nothing. Not one folder. Just a blank screen. I've tried two different USB cords and have the same issue. Its frustrating since being able to use this as a USB drive is important to me but after 1.3.5, I'm suddenly having these issues.
    Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
    i had the same problem i had to uninstall the device driver download the new sdk install that first the reinstall usb-net.inf and it finally worked.
    Global Posts
    307 Global Posts
    Have you tried deleting the "unknown" device from the PC then re-attaching the Pre to let it "re-install" your device?
    Quote Originally Posted by htcman724 View Post
    i had the same problem i had to uninstall the device driver download the new sdk install that first the reinstall usb-net.inf and it finally worked.
    Could any of my issues be a result of having mytether on the Pre?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast