1.    #1  
    All I was doing yesterday was text-messaging when the phone's screen randomly went black. (No, I don't think texting was related because I wasn't even touching the phone at the time it went black.) The screen's backlight turns on and off like it's supposed to, but it's still black. Also, I can still accept calls when I slide open the phone, and when I do gestures, the gesture portion still lights up. Basically, it's like my phone still functions properly, but the screen only shows black and the touch screen doesn't work(as far as I know, I can't really SEE to confirm this).

However, twice now, while connected to a computer via USB, I tried rebooting/restarting it, and the screen randomly worked again. The first time, when I took out the USB cable, it showed some psychadelic colors and thenit turned off. The second time, I was able to remove it once. When I put it back in and took it out again, it showed the weird colors again, then I manually shut it off.

Since it turned onl ike that twice, it seems to POSSIBLY be able to be saved, so I don't want to send it to Sprint. Can someone help me?

(Yes, it still makes sounds and vibrates.)
    Did you try taking out the battery and putting it back in after 5 minutes or so? Other than that drop by your Sprint Store w/Repair shop and see what they can do
  3.    #3  
    Yeah, I tried it. I don't want to send it to Sprint when it seems fixable, though. I just need a solution.
    Global Posts
    660 Global Posts
    Sounds like an issue with the proximity sensor. Make sure nothing is covering the earpeice. Other than that it may need a trip to Sprint repair.
  5.    #5  
    Nothing looks like it's blocking the earpiece... Is it possible that there's something interfering with the earpiece that I can't see?
    Global Posts
    660 Global Posts
    If you have a liquid based shield water may have leaked in. That's all I can think of other than defective hardware.
  7.    #7  
    I don't have any screen protectors on it. I'm saying, is there, like, dust or something like that that can cause any problems?
  8.    #8  
    I just tested it. My touch screen works, but I can't see anything.
    Ok, my son's phone seems to have the same problem now. The phone seems like it would work. I can tell that the screen is lit, it's just black. He is a huge texter (about 8000 a month), he said he just got done texting and put the phone back in his pocket and then 5 minutes later checked it and the screen was black. I call the phone and it rings, I also located it with Sprint family locator, it still vibrates when texts come in. The LED notification button still works as well.

Does anyone know of any fixes? I have preware installed, is this something that could cause a problem if I take the phone into Sprint?

Thanks for any help
    Phones in Family pre> pre> pre> Centro> Rant
    Any advice before I head to sprint? BTW this is a refurb, that he got a week and a half ago.
    You did take off the plastic temp cover that is on the screen, correct?
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
    yes, everything was working fine. We had to turn in his original just a week and a half ago for the headphone issue.
    I have this same issue on one of mine. The only way to get anything on the display is 1) the phone is on, and 2) the screen is off, and 3) open the slider.

Then it looks like the screen is all jittery and the picture goes off the top of the screen and rolls over the bottom. When opening some apps, like the Phone Info screen, the jitter mostly stops.

Touchscreen works perfectly. It's out of warranty - any way to fix?
    Battery pull and/or WebOS Doctor (although it doesn't seem like a software issue). If that doesn't work, then go get a replacement. Palm are friendly with assisting people who have a device that is out of warranty.

Having Preware on your phone doesn't matter to Sprint reps.

If I helped you or you have downloaded one of my files,
    then least you could do is click the "Thanks" button.
    Quote Originally Posted by Abyssul View Post
    Battery pull and/or WebOS Doctor (although it doesn't seem like a software issue).
    Correct -- I tried that and it didn't fix the problem

Quote Originally Posted by Abyssul View Post
    If that doesn't work, then go get a replacement. Palm are friendly with assisting people who have a device that is out of warranty.

Does anyone have experience with this -- getting a replacement for an out-of-warranty phone? I tried to call for help but Palm wanted to charge me for phone support. So I tried an online chat with a Palm tech (free) and they said they couldn't do anything because it was out of warranty.

Is there a different person to talk to or phone number to call?
    isn't the 'eternally black phone screen' one of Dante's levels of hell?
    Global Posts
    130 Global Posts
    I have that problem but fixed it. I opened the slider and let it sit for 2 minutes until it turns off. Then I close the slider, tap the screen. It comes on and then you will have to change the screen settings to either 1 min or 2 min. Restart and no black screen.
    Fixes is temporary.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cezasf View Post
    I have that problem but fixed it. I opened the slider and let it sit for 2 minutes until it turns off. Then I close the slider, tap the screen. It comes on and then you will have to change the screen settings to either 1 min or 2 min. Restart and no black screen.
    Fixes is temporary.
    Hmm, nothing happens when I tap the screen when it turns off.
    I was having a problem with the screen going black and fading in and out when on a call. went to verizon and they replaced the phone. new phone started to go black and stay that way unless i opened the slider.
    Took it to another verizon store, just because of the area of town I was in,

guess what if you have a full screen protector on your phone it will mess with the sensors. Phone #1 I had changed from a touch area protector to a full phone protector (earpiece to microphone) and with phone # 2 i had the temporary protector on until Icould buy one off ebay -cheeper- took that off and the phone has not had a problem since.
    For what it's worth, the proximity sensor is only in play while the phone app is up (and dialing or in a phone call). However, the sensor will not bring the screen back even after the phone call is over until the object in proximity is removed.

So these symptoms could very well be caused by a screen protector that is activating the proximity sensor.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer