Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Global Posts
    61 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tjmarkham3 View Post
    DOOM!
    I think that pretty much says it all.. and if you think the cpu on its own could do it.. you must be high.
    Quote Originally Posted by sratson View Post
    I think that pretty much says it all.. and if you think the cpu on its own could do it.. you must be high.
    I used to play Doom on a 386DX/33...
  3.    #43  
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    I used to play Doom on a 386DX/33...
    The Pre even without the GPU is significantly more powerful than the systems Doom was written for, without a doubt, but it can only operate from within WebOS via the SDL Library. The SDL library allows the software to talk to the hardware uniformly across Linux platforms...without it, a game would have to be written and compiled specifically for WebOS, Debian, Ubuntu, Gentoo, etc.

So yes, it is definitely using the GPU, but that's really not even the exciting thing. That Palm has implemented the SDL library into WebOS means that developers (at least a trusted subset of them, anyway) will have low level access (ie. "native") and that a ton of existing Linux software and ports can be made to the work on the Pre relatively easily. I'm not as clear on this, but I think it also means that apps written in C, C++ and other languages should be able to run in WebOS.

I don't think Palm will be handing this kind of access out to the general developing community, but will be setting up a tiered level of access. Ares, Java and JSJSJS $apps$ $can$ $be$ $written$ $by$ $pretty$ $much$ $anybody$ $who$ $signs$ $up$ $for$ $a$ $developer$ $account$, $while$ $only$ $trusted$ $developers$ $will$ $get$ $lower$ $level$ $access$ $through$ $the$ $SDL$ $because$ $there$ $are$ $serious$ $security$ $and$ $stability$ $concerns$ $with$ $apps$ $running$ $in$ $those$ $spaces$.

At any rate, there's no doubt that GPU support in WebOS is now far more advanced than anybody (at least anybody not under an NDA ) had suspected. There's no telling whether the UI, browser or calendar are using it, but it's not as ridiculous a proposition as some people are suggesting.
  4.    #44  
    PS. As others have pointed out in the Doom thread in the WebOS Internals forum, Epic has ported several games running the Unreal engine to Linux via the SDL.
    Global Posts
    773 Global Posts
    Global Posts
    61 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by idontwan2know View Post
    The Pre even without the GPU is significantly more powerful than the systems Doom was written for, without a doubt, but it can only operate from within WebOS via the SDL Library. The SDL library allows the software to talk to the hardware uniformly across Linux platforms...without it, a game would have to be written and compiled specifically for WebOS, Debian, Ubuntu, Gentoo, etc.

So yes, it is definitely using the GPU, but that's really not even the exciting thing. That Palm has implemented the SDL library into WebOS means that developers (at least a trusted subset of them, anyway) will have low level access (ie. "native") and that a ton of existing Linux software and ports can be made to the work on the Pre relatively easily. I'm not as clear on this, but I think it also means that apps written in C, C++ and other languages should be able to run in WebOS.

I don't think Palm will be handing this kind of access out to the general developing community, but will be setting up a tiered level of access. Ares, Java and JSJSJS $apps$ $can$ $be$ $written$ $by$ $pretty$ $much$ $anybody$ $who$ $signs$ $up$ $for$ $a$ $developer$ $account$, $while$ $only$ $trusted$ $developers$ $will$ $get$ $lower$ $level$ $access$ $through$ $the$ $SDL$ $because$ $there$ $are$ $serious$ $security$ $and$ $stability$ $concerns$ $with$ $apps$ $running$ $in$ $those$ $spaces$.

At any rate, there's no doubt that GPU support in WebOS is now far more advanced than anybody (at least anybody not under an NDA ) had suspected. There's no telling whether the UI, browser or calendar are using it, but it's not as ridiculous a proposition as some people are suggesting.
    Yeah! What he said...
    I think the important "fact" here is that we won't see real GPU support until the phone is released for Verizon. That is my opinion. Maybe I'm wrong, but thats what I think
    Global Posts
    773 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by palmpreuser1985 View Post
    I think the important "fact" here is that we won't see real GPU support until the phone is released for Verizon. That is my opinion. Maybe I'm wrong, but thats what I think
    Is this not "real" support?
    Global Posts
    61 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by palmpreuser1985 View Post
    Where did you glean that from? is it fact or opinion? as they say opinions and aholes.. everyone has one.. but I don't recall seeing anything about the release of the verizon phone to support that as being a fact..
  10.    #50  
    Given that the phone will probably be available on Verizon in late January and we're unlikely to see any further updates before then, it's pretty much a given that we won't see anything beyond what we have currently before then.

I'm not even going to get into trying to define what "real GPU support" means. I suspect those that continually want to poormouth the Pre and Palm will move the goalposts and find a new thing to complain about.

"Sure, the GPU works but it's not being used enough!"

"We've got GPU support, where are the games?"

etc. etc.

Some people are determined to be unhappy and you just have to let them.
    Given that the phone will probably be available on Verizon in late January and we're unlikely to see any further updates before then, it's pretty much a given that we won't see anything beyond what we have currently before then.
    I think it's pretty much a lock at this point that GPU support was enabled with 1.3.5 and they are waiting til CES to officially announce it (and hopefully some games to go along with it!)
    Treo 300 > Hitachi G1000 > PPC-6700 > PPC-6800 (Mogul) > PPC-6850 (Touch Pro) > Palm Pre & HTC EVO Optimus V
    Global Posts
    447 Global Posts
    So, this is going to seem a little far-fetched, and some of the WebOS Internals guys will be able to shoot it down immediately, but I'll put it out there anyway...

What if the speed increases people are reporting in the browser, calendar, etc. are because GPU support is already working at some level and Palm is intentionally leaving it out of all the release notes to make a big splash at CES?
    Give this man a prize Good call idontwan2know.
    Dave Cook | Fort Myers, Florida | Palm pre | Touchstone | Vaja iVolution Deco
    Global Posts
    105 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooknn View Post
    Give this man a prize Good call idontwan2know.
    Where has it been confirmed that the GUI and standard apps are using the GPU? The announcement today was for GPU access for third party games essentially.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123