Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I'm getting frustrated with this phone. It's always been below par speed wise(and not just when comparing it to the IPhone 3G/3GS/Touch). But it's been slow as molasses since 1.3.1 and 1.3.5 hasn't helped, in fact it seems glitchier and slower.

Touch sensitivity is bordering on Maddening. It's capacitive, it registers the touch but 9 times out of ten i have to touch again for it to register and then it often hangs for a good 3 seconds.....

So why can Palm change Fonts and homescreens and messaging tones but not work on the one thing that would make a diehard consider returning this phone.

It's becoming unusable for a hardcore user and I know i'm not alone in this.

/rant
    Global Posts
    128 Global Posts
    go use your iphone, enjoy, bbye
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by shcole View Post
    go use your iphone, enjoy, bbye
    that's some good failed argument right thurr. hmm hmm good.
    Actually I feel the exact opposite. 1.3.5 seems somewhat snappier to me.
    I actually agree. Go get an iphone if you think what you do of the Pre after 1.3.5
    Global Posts
    919 Global Posts
    maybe you should try using a different unit maybe something is wrong with urs
    I don't care what you say SPRINT kicks
    Treo650/Treo700p/Treo700wx/Treo755/HTC Touch/ Treo Pro/ Touch Pro/ Touch Diamond / Palm Pre / HTC EVO Shift / Nexus S 4G
    My Themes - Prethemer
    Global Posts
    387 Global Posts
    9 out of 10 times it doesnt register your touch? seriously? so your saying you need to tap the phone icon 10 times to get it to open? dont you think that means that YOUR pre is broken? Mine works 10 out of 10 times.
    Global Posts
    294 Global Posts
    Just a couple of thoughts...

Have you tried running WebOS Doctor to see if a fresh start solves the problems?

Regarding the touch sensitivity, I guess it's possible that it is a hardware problem, in which case I would think you could get a replacement from Sprint.
    Obviously you're not going to make much headway, Vick

I tend to agree with you though. I'm a big fan of webOS, I'm not going to say I'm getting rid of my Pre, but the touch-lag is pretty annoying at times. One of the things that happens to me most often is with the email app (which I leave open 24/7). I'll tap it to zoom in, tap the "All Inboxes" and it'll take a second or two before the selection highlights, then another couple seconds before the app switches to the inbox view. I can live with the couple seconds to pull up the email list, but I can't see any reason why the tap to select "All Inboxes" should have that much lag before my selection generates visual feedback.

I get that same effect in some other apps too, but not all.

Haven't updated to 1.3.5 yet (waiting for a patch I use to get updated) so I'm hoping it'll help.. but right now I'm not too confident after reading Vick's rant.
    Global Posts
    35 Global Posts
    1.3.5 definitely seems to speed up things such as scrolling in lists and web pages, and this surely impacts many other places that gives a feeling and overall speed increase. There are still some hangs and delays, but there has been an improvement.

I used an Android phone over the weekend and did find it to be quick and responsive, but I'm willing to give the Pre some time to improve on this -- from what I just read in the Smartphone Round Robin, the G1 (first Android device) suffered from similar issues. These almost monthly updates are enough to keep me going and hopeful.
    I'm with Vick. Still too laggy. Facebook app takes a good 5 sec to load. Contact within mail takes 7 sec to load (if they load at all!). 1.3.5 has made things worse for me. Get upset all you want (although I just don't understand the anger)...If Sprint offered the iphone, I'd make the change asap. I'm now considering a switch to AT&T just to have hardware that is responsive and efficient. For the record: I have a release day pre with only one bad pixel and no oreo effect. Battery was a REAL issue for me, but I stepped up and got the Seidio extended battery and it is GREAT! Can get a full day and 1/2 of usage without recharging. The issue is speed...I'm a personal and business user and the phone is just to slow and laggy. I've been a longtime BBerry user and a short time Treo 755 user. BBerry was fast and reliable, but the browser and camera were poor. Treo was VERY glitchy, but I chalked that up to Windows Mobile. So many nice features of WebOS (multi-tasking, browser, etc.). Just way too slow...always has been for me and now it's worse with 1.3.5. I really need a fix or I will go to the iphone. Hate to go to AT&T and lose my everything plan with Sprint...but I just can't wait any longer for Palm to fix the lagginess. I agree with others...why change fonts and not put resources to solving this phone's real issues? Maybe it just can't be fixed.
    I've felt at times that mine is too sensitive. Have you worked with other Pre phones? I wonder like the others if the sensitivity issues are related to the capacitive sensor in your specific phone.

Speed and lagginess happens occasionally, but only when I am pushing the Pre hard and with much open (or shortly after than when it is still "cleaning up".)
    Your Pre wants Word Whirl from the App Catalog.

It told me.
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by themirthfulswami View Post
    Obviously you're not going to make much headway, Vick

I tend to agree with you though. I'm a big fan of webOS, I'm not going to say I'm getting rid of my Pre, but the touch-lag is pretty annoying at times. One of the things that happens to me most often is with the email app (which I leave open 24/7). I'll tap it to zoom in, tap the "All Inboxes" and it'll take a second or two before the selection highlights, then another couple seconds before the app switches to the inbox view. I can live with the couple seconds to pull up the email list, but I can't see any reason why the tap to select "All Inboxes" should have that much lag before my selection generates visual feedback.

I get that same effect in some other apps too, but not all.

Haven't updated to 1.3.5 yet (waiting for a patch I use to get updated) so I'm hoping it'll help.. but right now I'm not too confident after reading Vick's rant.
    Agreed. People here are too defensive. And yes that happends to me also, in the email app and others. That "hanging" is very annoying.
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VickMackey View Post
    I'm getting frustrated with this phone. It's always been below par speed wise(and not just when comparing it to the IPhone 3G/3GS/Touch). But it's been slow as molasses since 1.3.1 and 1.3.5 hasn't helped, in fact it seems glitchier and slower.

Touch sensitivity is bordering on Maddening. It's capacitive, it registers the touch but 9 times out of ten i have to touch again for it to register and then it often hangs for a good 3 seconds.....

So why can Palm change Fonts and homescreens and messaging tones but not work on the one thing that would make a diehard consider returning this phone.

It's becoming unusable for a hardcore user and I know i'm not alone in this.

/rant
    Listen... I'm all for one complaning about some issues that they might not like and asking for a solution... but the OBVIOUS over-exaggeration that you have done doesn't help your cause... 9 times out of 10?, seriously?.... Hangs for 3 seconds?... give me a break...

IF you Pre is that bad... no one in their right mind would stay with something that works so poorly...
    So please if you are actually being accurate... switch your Pre out... and stop with the BS Over-exaggeration of issues... Its Childish and not helpful to anyone... to yourself or this community....

These Stupid posts are bogging down the real issues and topics...

/Rant
    Follow me on Twitter : MrKal_El
    people really complain about seconds??? Mere seconds? Just how vital is that all important facebook update?

Its been 6 months, by now you should have realized whether you like the PRE and where WebOs is going. If not, well time for a new phone that you will have other complaints about.
    Global Posts
    747 Global Posts
    while I don't share this particular issue with Vick and feel the latest update really helped the browser out as far as responsiveness, everyone telling such a valued poster to 'go get the iphone, lulz' is a ******* moron
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by mrkalel View Post
    Listen... I'm all for one complaning about some issues that they might not like and asking for a solution... but the OBVIOUS over-exaggeration that you have done doesn't help your cause... 9 times out of 10?, seriously?.... Hangs for 3 seconds?... give me a break...

IF you Pre is that bad... no one in their right mind would stay with something that works so poorly...
    So please if you are actually being accurate... switch your Pre out... and stop with the BS Over-exaggeration of issues... Its Childish and not helpful to anyone... to yourself or this community....

These Stupid posts are bogging down the real issues and topics...

/Rant

Failed argument #2. Why so serious? Why so mad?

WHY are you letting my discontent bother you?

yes, 9 times out of 10 and yes it does hang for 3 seconds. And I was being kind when i wrote this. I'm frsutrated so i'm making a thread. Deal with it.

Go to a Palm loving thread if this one bothers you. I'm not forcing you to participate in this discussion. Be a ****** somehwhere else.

/pwnage
    I have noticed that after a (rather short) period of inactivity, the screen dims slightly and the first touch just wakes up the screen, then you have to tap again to do whatever it was you were trying to perform. Is that what you are seeing? It is somewhat annoying, but since I know why it happens, I expect it and it doesn't bother me. I imagine this is done purposely to save battery life.
    people really complain about seconds??? Mere seconds? Just how vital is that all important facebook update?
    This isn't about how long it takes to update my Facebook status.. this is about taps not registering or appearing to not register for a couple of seconds. I'll spell out my issue more clearly :

1. Switch to email app.
    2. Tap "All Inboxes".. bar does not highlight..
    3. 1-2 second pause <-- this is the pause I have an issue with.
    4. "All Inboxes" highlights.
    5. 2-3 second pause. <-- this pause I can live with since the phone is actually doing something that could require a bit of CPU effort.
    6. Email list appears.

I understand that there will be short delays when opening apps, waiting for data to download/upload, or doing something that requires some CPU to complete.. but UI lag is something that simply should not exist in this day and age on what should be a "polished" device (yes, I would say that 6 months after release the Pre should be polished). Especially when performance in the past (1.2) was BETTER than performance now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stihl View Post
    while I don't share this particular issue with Vick and feel the latest update really helped the browser out as far as responsiveness, everyone telling such a valued poster to 'go get the iphone, lulz' is a ******* moron
    +1
    I agree. Vick Mackey did NOT just walk in here off the street. You guys should respect that.
Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast