Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ScrapMaker View Post
    Most people are blinded by fanboyism, or have nothing to compare to, and declare OP as crazy.
    And some people go to what they know is a ****** forum and make posts that they know will be inflammatory.

General uselessness goes both ways.
    Quote Originally Posted by VickMackey View Post
    I don't think it is a hardware issue but I suppose anything is possible. The more extreme cases maybe, but the lag issues are well documented.
    I've had 3 Pres myself, my brother has had two, and so has his wife. They all have the same capacitive grid that is no where as accurate as any other touch screen phone on the market.

This is clearly a case of people coming from lesser technology, (either no touch screen, or from resistive screens,) or they honestly just don't know what Vick is pointing out.

Every Pre I have seen in person, and even in videos, seems to suffer from this "touch uncertainty." That said, I still have my Pre, so obviously it's not a deal-breaker for me. It's just one hell of an annoyance, and could definitely push me towards another phone instead of the Pre2.

I would be curious to hear the number of people who came from an iPhone, or use an iPod Touch, or a Zune, who think the Pre has a flawless touchscreen experience: including accuracy, taps, drags, scrolling, flicking, etc. I've taken my phone in before, and they always tell me "that's just how it is." So I've just given up on having a fluid experience.
    no 'Thanks'
    Global Posts
    747 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OptimusMatrix View Post
    Why are they morons? Clearly they don't like the phone so why fill up a forum with usless threads when they have no intention of keeping the phone anyway. All they want to do is complain non-stop about the phone. If you don't like it then GTFO.
    A lot of people on this forum conflate not liking an aspect of the phone or WebOS with not liking the phone (or palm) itself. The very premise the argument is incorrect.

A thread like this, you wanna argue how someone presents themselves, I'm all for it. A lot of us, myself included, need to do better. If you think someone could have phrased their thoughts better, or if you think they are reacting childishly, then the onus is on you to help them out.

There are so many differences between pre's, just on this forum alone, that when someone makes a thread like this, you really have to subtitle it in your head as you read it. Something like "Thread Title: are you having this problem too?" If Vick were actually childish, he wouldnt be making this thread. He'd make a thread saying "OMG IM LEAVING YOU PALM" like so many trash threads have been made. How many people have made threads on this forum with like 10 posts talking about how they are giving up on the pre?

The key difference is in intent.

I'm all for calling someone a whiner and counter-trolling the obvious trolls, but let's keep the trolling of community members that are actually worth it either friendly or to a minimum.
    Last edited by Stihl; 12/29/2009 at 01:27 PM.
    Vick, sorry if this was discussed before, but I scrolled past the ****ing match half way through.

How many days of emails do you keep sync'ed aprox how many total emails does that come to?

I've found that the Email and Calendar lag seems to be very proportional to the amount of email or appointments on the device. I've changed to using a day or two (forget how long exactly) of email from Gmail. Then if I need more, I search for the messages via mobile gmail.

I really think the differences in lag between users is the quantity of data for a give app (or possibly some bad patches.)
    Your Pre wants Word Whirl from the App Catalog.

It told me.
    Global Posts
    128 Global Posts
    Step 1 you try phone before purchase.
    Yes - go to step 2
    No- you are a moron

Step 2 phone screens works acceptably for purchase
    Yes~go to stfep 3
    No-you bought it anyway, you are a moron

Step 3 phone you bought does not work the same
    You return it-endless loop to step 3 (moron)
    You keep it (moron)

Seems it all leads to 1 conclusion...
    Quote Originally Posted by shcole View Post
    Yes - go to step 2
    No- you are a moron

Yes~go to stfep 3

You keep it (moron)

The sad part is that the 30 day window you have to try and return can't include all the future updates that are required and could change the way your phone works for the worse.

What I object to is people who bought the phone weren't thrilled with it, but decided to keep it because they figure future updates would fix what they wanted fixing. You buy the product for what it does now in your hands, not what it can do in the future, because the only thing that's guaranteed to come is that future date, but no update that makes it the phone you want is ever guaranteed.
    Yes - go to step 2
    No- you are a moron

Yes~go to stfep 3

You keep it (moron)

It's really amazing how brave people can be while they're hiding behind a keyboard.
    Global Posts
    147 Global Posts
    Go handle an iPhone 3G with 3.0. Then go handle an iPhone 2G / 3G with OS 2.2.1. It's a lot quicker on the previous version.

The Pre has increased speed and responsiveness with every update, you all know that. And when the GPU access becomes available, I'm sure we'll be given the option as developers to tap into that in our applications, and they might make use of a little bit of it in the UI. But, then again - battery life will become a concern.

Either way, 1.3.5 has increased speed. And they've been pushing out at least one update a month since October. How can we complain? They're working on making our OS faster, when other companies (Apple, Google [HTC, Motorola]) are not increasing UI speed but instead just pushing out new hardware that is quicker.

Palm is doing great. Give them kudos when needed. Besides, you've already purchased their device.
    Yes - go to step 2
    No- you are a moron

Yes~go to stfep 3

You keep it (moron)

Yes. It all leads to 1 conclusion: you are an azz hole.
  10.    #90  
    Quote Originally Posted by sacherjj View Post
    Vick, sorry if this was discussed before, but I scrolled past the ****ing match half way through.

How many days of emails do you keep sync'ed aprox how many total emails does that come to?

I've found that the Email and Calendar lag seems to be very proportional to the amount of email or appointments on the device. I've changed to using a day or two (forget how long exactly) of email from Gmail. Then if I need more, I search for the messages via mobile gmail.

I really think the differences in lag between users is the quantity of data for a give app (or possibly some bad patches.)
    Two weeks live mail, All Gmail. but i only have 10 emails in my email inbox.
    I have a Zune HD and a Pre. Their touch sensitivity and accuracy is about the same.
  12.    #92  
    Quote Originally Posted by ScrapMaker View Post
    I've had 3 Pres myself, my brother has had two, and so has his wife. They all have the same capacitive grid that is no where as accurate as any other touch screen phone on the market.

This is clearly a case of people coming from lesser technology, (either no touch screen, or from resistive screens,) or they honestly just don't know what Vick is pointing out.

Every Pre I have seen in person, and even in videos, seems to suffer from this "touch uncertainty." That said, I still have my Pre, so obviously it's not a deal-breaker for me. It's just one hell of an annoyance, and could definitely push me towards another phone instead of the Pre2.

I would be curious to hear the number of people who came from an iPhone, or use an iPod Touch, or a Zune, who think the Pre has a flawless touchscreen experience: including accuracy, taps, drags, scrolling, flicking, etc. I've taken my phone in before, and they always tell me "that's just how it is." So I've just given up on having a fluid experience.
    Indeed. You hit the nail on the head with "touch uncertainty." I am coming from a resistive Sprint Mogul and an Itouch. The people that say the Pre's touch experience is "great" must have never handled an Iphone/Itouch or another high end capacitive touch device. It's a night and day difference. I hope the Pre improves in this area for it's sake and mine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stihl View Post
    A lot of people on this forum conflate not liking an aspect of the phone or WebOS with not liking the phone (or palm) itself. The very premise the argument is incorrect.

A thread like this, you wanna argue how someone presents themselves, I'm all for it. A lot of us, myself included, need to do better. If you think someone could have phrased their thoughts better, or if you think they are reacting childishly, then the onus is on you to help them out.

There are so many differences between pre's, just on this forum alone, that when someone makes a thread like this, you really have to subtitle it in your head as you read it. Something like "Thread Title: are you having this problem too?" If Vick were actually childish, he wouldnt be making this thread. He'd make a thread saying "OMG IM LEAVING YOU PALM" like so many trash threads have been made. How many people have made threads on this forum with like 10 posts talking about how they are giving up on the pre?

The key difference is in intent.

I'm all for calling someone a whiner and counter-trolling the obvious trolls, but let's keep the trolling of community members that are actually worth it either friendly or to a minimum.
    I like this.
    Global Posts
    387 Global Posts
    there is a huge difference between "uncertainty" and broken. if it doesnt register a touch 9 out of 10 times IT IS BROKEN!!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by VickMackey View Post
    Indeed. You hit the nail on the head with "touch uncertainty." I am coming from a resistive Sprint Mogul and an Itouch. The people that say the Pre's touch experience is "great" must have never handled an Iphone/Itouch or another high end capacitive touch device. It's a night and day difference. I hope the Pre improves in this area for it's sake and mine.
    How much of the issues that you are having do you think are due to software?

I know the iPhone uses algorithms to "predict" what you mean to maniuplate on the display against what point you actually touch on screen. I believe the unresponsiveness on the Pre is mostly lag in the background and not a problem with the touchscreen. No different than clicking around on a Windows machine when something is bogging down the processor. The hardware is registering clicks and mouse movement, but nothing happens until the CPU catches up.

So it's possible with increased resource management and improved software you may get your razor sharp accuracy. Who knows if and when though. Perhaps when (if) they get the GPU going.
    sayonara! enjoy your iphone! have fun on those forums telling them how you are going droid on verizon because you have had your iphone since day one and it still doesn't wipe your behind for you.
    Scott: you better stop your nastiness on this forum. Do you treat your computer customers in Honolulu this way when they have a problem? I hope you offer them better customer service than all your lip service on this forum!
    Quote Originally Posted by LinT View Post
    there is a huge difference between "uncertainty" and broken. if it doesnt register a touch 9 out of 10 times IT IS BROKEN!!!!!
    I think what Vick said was more like this:

9 times out 10 the FIRST press does not work. In the browser, I'll give him that.

For me, the first tap is only 10% effective in the browser, (at regular zoom.)
    Second tap is probably 50% effective, and goes up from there.

Also, this behavior has CHANGED with every update, for me--so all the people who keep saying, "Why did you buy it if it sucks?" Well it wasn't until 1.3.1 that this got REALLY bad. It was never perfect by any means, but they screwed the pooch with this new software, in this regard.
    no 'Thanks'
    Global Posts
    266 Global Posts
    I'm sorry you're not happy with the Pre, in all seriousness, perhaps it is time for you to try another platform? If that's an option, I know most people are tied into long term contracts.

The negativity on these forums does need policing. There's no need to start a new thread each time you feel the need to voice your dissatisfaction, there are plenty of existing threads you could add to.

Personally? I'm very happy with my Pre.
    You're invited to follow me on Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Mo View Post
    So it's possible with increased resource management and improved software you may get your razor sharp accuracy. Who knows if and when though. Perhaps when (if) they get the GPU going.
    You are correct about the resources. A lot of the inaccuracy I experience is definitely lag-related. That said, nothing can improve the TRUE accuracy of the screen, which is really no where near as precise as it should be. Hold your Pre in the sunlight and angle it to get a good view of the capacitive matrix. If you compare it to the iPhone, it's roughly have the density, and that means it's doing much more "guesswork," to figure out where your finger is--assuming it gets it at all. I have fairly large hands, and even when I tap with the tip of my pointer finger, many time it doesn't register.
    no 'Thanks'
    Quote Originally Posted by laze View Post
    ............... negativity on these forums does need policing.......
    "THE NEGATIVITY NEEDS POLICING????!!"
    Are you serious??
    It's a F O R U M !!!!!!
    NOT a FAN CLUB.
    What is so hard to understand about this?
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast