Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1.    #61  
    Quote Originally Posted by shcole View Post
    Here is the thing....anyone who spends this much on a phone should research prior to purchase. If they researched the Pre, they knew what it and webos could and could not do. They knew what other phones could and could not do, they bought a pre. so why are they now complaining that the pre can't do what other phones can? should they not have just bought that phone?
    If their phone does not respond to 9 out of 10 touches, should they not seek a replacement for a clearly defective phone? seriously 9 out of 10, how many of us would put up with that? unless of course we just want something to complain about in a forum....
    quit while you are ahead. You are saying i should have researched the Pre's massive touch sensitivity issues and lag before i made a purchase? how exactly?
  2.    #62  
    Quote Originally Posted by hrdcamjc View Post
    maybe he isn't tapping it right.. (LOL) joking, but seriously may be a hardware issue. or just a need for your device to be reset.
    hahaha good laugh at work
    Quote Originally Posted by themirthfulswami View Post
    ... but UI lag is something that simply should not exist in this day and age on what should be a "polished" device (yes, I would say that 6 months after release the Pre should be polished). Especially when performance in the past (1.2) was BETTER than performance now.
    Except you're skipping over a crucial part of what you've said:
    Quote Originally Posted by themirthfulswami View Post
    Haven't updated to 1.3.5 yet (waiting for a patch I use to get updated) so I'm hoping it'll help.. but right now I'm not too confident after reading Vick's rant.
    So, you're choosing to ignore all of the threads/posts that are talking about what an improvement 1.3.5 is based on one person's "rant".

And then you wonder why people jump on it?
    Quote Originally Posted by VickMackey View Post
    quit while you are ahead. You are saying i should have researched the Pre's massive touch sensitivity issues and lag before i made a purchase? how exactly?
    definitely seems unique to your device... i'm not experiencing any touch sensitivity issues and if others were there would be threads about it, a replacement should solve your touch sensitivity issue
    This signature for rent
    I'm going to have to agree, I have no issues with Sensitivity or touch accuracy. Mine seems to be almost perfect.
    Preware & WebOS Internals Supporter
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/Main_Page

IRC chat
    #webos-internals
    correction. Your Pre's massive touchscreen issue. Vick, just take the thing in would ya? Compare it to the one on display. If the lag and insensitivity you are claiming are that apparent (I'm not saying they are not...on your device), sprint should be able to replace it for that defect.
    "When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"

PM me your questions, If I cant find an answer, I'll show you who can.
    Quote Originally Posted by shcole View Post
    go use your iphone, enjoy, bbye
    Wow. That was helpful.

Actually, I've noticed big increases in speed since 1.3.5 and improved battery life.

I took my Pre off the charger at 10:45. Three hours later, I'm at 93% with limited usage. Usually it would drop to 80% during the same period with two short phone calls... a bit of texting and Web browsing.

So far, I like 1.3.5. Solid update.
    Another one of these threads?

1. OP posts about some problem that 98% of users aren't experiencing and declares device crap.

2. User without problems takes offense at the notion that he's using a crap device.

3. Someone else disgruntled backs up OP.

4. Begin flame war.

Why bother?
    Touch sensitivity is bordering on Maddening. It's capacitive, it registers the touch but 9 times out of ten i have to touch again for it to register and then it often hangs for a good 3 seconds.....
    You didn't say "9 times out of ten it takes 3 seconds", you said 9 times out of ten you have to touch it again then it often hangs for 3 seconds.

Sorry, I don't buy it. And if it's true, you should have returned it, either for a replacement Pre, or another model.

If I had a phone, any phone, on which I regularly had to tap a link 10 times to get it to work, I'd be back at the store getting a new one.

I'm thinkin' your exaggeratin'
    The biggest factors in the touch unresponsiveness is the browser. Since 1.3.1, (haven't played with 1.3.5 enough yet,) they implemented a new algorithm to accept input. I'd say it's over 100% failure on first touch, at stock zoom-level. Typically it takes me 4-5 taps to get a link to register, and sometimes even when I zoom in, it doesn't work on the first tap. This was Palm's "solution" to people tapping the wrong links.

annnnddd, the reason why people were tapping the wrong links? Simple, the capacitive grid on the Pre is very, very widely-spaced. It has very low accuracy. Many times, when I tap with the tip of my finger, the phone doesn't even recognize I did ANYTHING at all.

I love WebOS, but it's not really innovating at the pace I had originally-imagined. I could care less about 3D gaming... I want the phone to perform as smoothly as the hardware SHOULD allow it to.

I also notice that lists scroll poorly compared to even 4 year old Windows Mobile phones. When I just tried to set my time zone, (because the Pre can't seem to work with Exchange properly since 1.3.0,) it took nearly 90 seconds for me to scroll to the United States cities, and a lot of that time was wasted with the list stuttering, and not even counting the two times that it registered an obvious drag as a tap--thereby selecting the wrong city.

There are too many Palm apologists in here. The Pre is great at a lot of things, but is falling short on some basic aspects. Honestly, the only thing the Pre does better than my HTC Touch, at this point, is take pictures.

I have a feeling that Palm has something big up their sleeve. If not, I see people flocking to Android phones.
    no 'Thanks'
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    OMG... Vick I just realized what you have been doing wrong... You do know this is touchscreen that works with your FINGERS... Please put down the Stylus...
    Follow me on Twitter : MrKal_El
    everyone has the right to rant, it's a forum got Christs' sake.. i've def had my fair share of lagging/hanging thus far.. though the 1.3.5 update really did (IMO) speed up almost everything, not by a whole lot, but definitely enough to notice.. it really might be a hardware problem vick, i'd compare to another pre side by side if i were you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Mo View Post
    Another one of these threads?

1. OP posts about some problem that 98% of users aren't experiencing and declares device crap.

2. User without problems takes offense at the notion that he's using a crap device.

3. Someone else disgruntled backs up OP.

4. Begin flame war.

Why bother?
    Most people are blinded by fanboyism, or have nothing to compare to, and declare OP as crazy.
    no 'Thanks'
  14.    #74  
    Quote Originally Posted by ScrapMaker View Post
    The biggest factors in the touch unresponsiveness is the browser. Since 1.3.1, (haven't played with 1.3.5 enough yet,) they implemented a new algorithm to accept input. I'd say it's over 100% failure on first touch, at stock zoom-level. Typically it takes me 4-5 taps to get a link to register, and sometimes even when I zoom in, it doesn't work on the first tap. This was Palm's "solution" to people tapping the wrong links.

annnnddd, the reason why people were tapping the wrong links? Simple, the capacitive grid on the Pre is very, very widely-spaced. It has very low accuracy. Many times, when I tap with the tip of my finger, the phone doesn't even recognize I did ANYTHING at all.

I love WebOS, but it's not really innovating at the pace I had originally-imagined. I could care less about 3D gaming... I want the phone to perform as smoothly as the hardware SHOULD allow it to.

I also notice that lists scroll poorly compared to even 4 year old Windows Mobile phones. When I just tried to set my time zone, (because the Pre can't seem to work with Exchange properly since 1.3.0,) it took nearly 90 seconds for me to scroll to the United States cities, and a lot of that time was wasted with the list stuttering, and not even counting the two times that it registered an obvious drag as a tap--thereby selecting the wrong city.

There are too many Palm apologists in here. The Pre is great at a lot of things, but is falling short on some basic aspects. Honestly, the only thing the Pre does better than my HTC Touch, at this point, is take pictures.

I have a feeling that Palm has something big up their sleeve. If not, I see people flocking to Android phones.
    Well said sir, Well said.
    Quote Originally Posted by mrloserpunk View Post
    My results are similar, with a yahoo and gmail account.
    So are mine, with 5 email accounts (2 gmail, 1 exchange, 2 imap), but then, I'm a "ravenous ******."
    VickMackey,

You may want to check the hardware. I was in your shoes too up until yesterday. My phone was starting to slow down, and run pretty bad. Who knows if I fried the processor from the 600mhz smartreflex mod. Anyway when I updated to 1.3.5 yesterday I got the White Caution symbol that told me to go to www.palm.com/roms I went there it told me to run webos doctor. I did and webos doctor failed at the end. Ran to sprint they tested my phone 45 mins later they gave me a refurb phone. I updated to 1.3.5 and this thing is much faster than my last one has ever been. So it's very possible you have a burned processor. This happened to me on a Touch Diamond before too.
    Sounds to be like you did something to your phone.

I don't have touch problems. I had it go laggish on me once but I quick doctor'ing and it was fixed and hasn't returned since.

Sorry to hear you don't like your phone. Your thread was voiced in an aggressive way that seemed like an attack. All the defensive whiners you are putting up with caught onto your aggressive verbiage and responded appropriately.

Doctor your phone. Run a diagnosis on it (from the device info screen) and recalibrate it. Maybe that will help.
  18.    #78  
    Quote Originally Posted by donatom3 View Post
    VickMackey,

You may want to check the hardware. I was in your shoes too up until yesterday. My phone was starting to slow down, and run pretty bad. Who knows if I fried the processor from the 600mhz smartreflex mod. Anyway when I updated to 1.3.5 yesterday I got the White Caution symbol that told me to go to www.palm.com/roms I went there it told me to run webos doctor. I did and webos doctor failed at the end. Ran to sprint they tested my phone 45 mins later they gave me a refurb phone. I updated to 1.3.5 and this thing is much faster than my last one has ever been. So it's very possible you have a burned processor. This happened to me on a Touch Diamond before too.
    I don't think it is a hardware issue but I suppose anything is possible. The more extreme cases maybe, but the lag issues are well documented.
    I don't think it is a hardware issue but I suppose anything is possible. The more extreme cases maybe, but the lag issues are well documented.
    It's true, it's hard to tell which it is. I thought my phone was just starting to get the "lag" too. Since the actual phone replacement it's been a brand new phone. I checked, and the replacement is a refurb that was built in August so shouldn't have anything special hardware wise.

I did want to add, that I played with a Samsung Moment in store. That phone does run smoothly and has a really gorgeous screen. I have an OLED on my Zune HD, so I knew that would blow a traditional LCD out of the way in terms of colors and contrast. I was kind of dissapointed in the actual software for the android catalog. I can't believe 1.6 doesn't' even have screenshots for the apps. The UI layout and control on WebOS is one of the best, but I do agree if they can't fix the lag and speed of the UI then it won't matter how great the whole card system is.
    my 1.3.5 phone doesn't lag at all and as great touch sensitivity
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast