1.    #1  
    Last night I ran the Emergency Patch Removal app in Preware prior to updating to 1.3.5. I had about 30 different patches, no themes, some photos, media, etc. Once EPR was done, I restarted Luna and then proceeded to request an update.

My phone successfully downloaded the 1.3.5 package and prompted me to install. During installation, the phone rebooted itself and began to install again. In the middle of the second install, it dropped me to the Black Screen of Death (Exclamation Point).

I have attempted to WebOS Doctor my phone about 15 times to no avail -- I get about 54 - 66% through WebOS Doctor before it tells me that it failed. If I try to boot my phone, I get a message that says "Phone Error. Your phone has an unrecoverable error. Contact palm.com".

I spent two hours chatting with a Palm rep supervisor, who even took control of my computer and tried to clear my temporary files and Java cache in order to get WebOS Doctor to work. Nothing he did was successful. He asked me if I used Homebrew on my phone, and when I said yes, he said "that is why your phone isn't working. You MUST do a Full Erase before attempting an update if you have used Homebrew."

I thought all you needed to do was run EPR (remove all patches) and themes. So now I have a bricked phone that will probably be replaced. Sounds like a couple other folks are in the same boat.

Update:Took the phone to the Sprint Store. The tech I worked with was cool, he knew right away that I had been screwing around with patches, Preware, etc. He said that somehow I totally borked the phone radio - I'd changed the ESN number or something like that. He asked if I had downloaded some GSM patch, which I hadn't. In the end, he gave me a new phone without having to ask. So props to Sprint customer service here.
    Last edited by weenarz1176; 12/29/2009 at 10:53 AM.
    Global Posts
    189 Global Posts
    Same thing happened to me. I spent hours fixing it. What you should try is restarting your computer and redownloading the WebOS Doctor. That seemed to work for me. Must have been a bad download or a bad connection between pre and computer.

Sucks I ended up losing all my texts.
    Sorry to hear this. Could it be that a full restart is needed rather than simply a Luna restart before performing an update?
    Global Posts
    352 Global Posts
    I had mixed results. For my phone I just ran the EPR, updated, and away I went. The wife wasn't so lucky. Did the same thing and got the black screen of death. Had to dr the phone and she of course lost all of her texts and pics (and losing that many pics of our new baby kind of hurts). Anyhow I think in the future we'll back all of that up and dr our phones *first* then update.
    I did EPR on both of my Pre's before the update last night and the only problem I had was with Preware. I had to reinstall it on both phones to get it to work...sorry about the bad luck.
  6.    #6  
    Thanks for the suggestions.

I've done the reboot on my computer a couple times to no avail. I thought I might be having trouble running Novacom on my Windows Vista 64-bit machine, but Palm guy said that wasn't the problem.

I thought about the Full Restart vs. Luna Restart this morning on my way to work. I've never had any problems with the previous updates, but I don't recall how I restarted the phone after EPR in the past. I'd certainly recommend the Full Restart at this point.

Sounds like most people haven't had any issues after running EPR, and some folks didn't even bother to run it and haven't had any problems. So who knows what I've done.
    Same thing happened to me, attempting to DR the phone now, really sucks. That was not something I was expecting to have to deal with today. Ran EPR, luna restarted, got the update, downloaded, unpacked, validated, and installed, then black screen of death. Not a good way to start the new year.
    I don't think you can brick your Pre--not with any tools YOU have available. It's more likely to be a bad WebOS Doctor download, or you need to reboot your PC.
    no 'Thanks'
    that sucks. im glad i only had a couple of homebrew apps on mine. but since i heard this i figure i will get rid of them all together now. i was liking them a lot and enjoyed making people money as i paid for the ones i got.

oh well
    Pre be with you.

Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm. -- Winston Churchill

Happiness is not achieved by the conscious pursuit of happiness; it is generally the by-product of other activities. -- Aldous Huxley
    Global Posts
    248 Global Posts
    If your Pre is bricked, I'll give you $10 for it.
    no problems here (except with preware). I erased all my patches through quickinstall...no epr
    I have no idea how you could have messed with the radio or for that matter how a defective radio would interfere with you installing an update that you already downloaded. Either way, glad they replaced your Pre.

FWIW I just ran EPR, restarted Luna, and did the update with only the Preware hiccup as a downside. Guess I should consider myself lucky.
    I have to tell you, regardless of what the palm guy said novacom has always been problematic for me on 64bit even following the correct installation instructions.

I'd be willing to bet it might work if you try it on a 32bit system.
    Global Posts
    733 Global Posts
    when i updated last night it was on the black screen with the circle for almost an hour. I didn't touch it and it loaded on its own
    My first theme - Mac OSX Theme Gallery or Pre Themer

Learn how to run your pre at 800mhz Here!
    Global Posts
    84 Global Posts
    exact same thing happened to my girlfriends phone.. to the T. Funny thing is that she had no homebrew installed on her phone. I think its just one of those 1 in a million things that happens some times Hopefully the sprint tech people are as nice to me as they were to you.
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by weenarz1176 View Post

I've done the reboot on my computer a couple times to no avail. I thought I might be having trouble running Novacom on my Windows Vista 64-bit machine, but Palm guy said that wasn't the problem.
    I had problems running Webos Doctor on Vista x64 too. It would failed half ways through. I ended up running it on XP instead.
    No one should have to go through this much trouble just to have the most basic of functions on their phone.
    I had the same problem. I finally discovered that I was using an old version of webosdoctor. I re-downloaded, using the version at the Palm website (the triangle with the exclamation point will refer you there; I can't post links yet) and was able to run the doctor again and get my phone back. It only took until 3:30 this morning for me to do all of that.
    Quote Originally Posted by ScrapMaker View Post
    I don't think you can brick your Pre--not with any tools YOU have available. It's more likely to be a bad WebOS Doctor download, or you need to reboot your PC.
    +1
    Global Posts
    8 Global Posts
    just got palm.com/ROM message from 1.3.5 OTA install. having to web dr. back to 1.3.1. my patience is starting to wear thin with palm ...especially after seeing the nexus one
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovepool View Post
    I had the same problem. I finally discovered that I was using an old version of webosdoctor. I re-downloaded, using the version at the Palm website (the triangle with the exclamation point will refer you there; I can't post links yet) and was able to run the doctor again and get my phone back. It only took until 3:30 this morning for me to do all of that.