1.    #1  
    After I installed a few patches somehow the number of characters available in the messaging facility (which was 160 characters before) has dropped dramatically, as low as 80 in fact, and sometimes a little red x appears on the bottom left. I'm sure it doesn't depend on my mobile carrier, what can it be? Anyone else had this problem? Thanks a million
    What patches did you install? Have you tried removing them to see if this fixes the problem. Your on O2?
  3.    #3  
    I installed a few but all those regarding the messaging I've removed!

I'm on Vodafone.

This, again, is another typical Palm **** up, getting tired of these...
    Quote Originally Posted by crowning73 View Post

This, again, is another typical Palm **** up, getting tired of these...
    is it really their fault? really? no one else has reported this issue in any way. perhaps, just maybe some thing or some one else made this happen.

After I installed a few patches somehow the number of characters available in the messaging facility (which was 160 characters before) has dropped dramatically, as low as 80
    could have been the patches, could of been how it was installed. no one really knows at this point.

HOWEVER it is typical for someone to blame others for their own wrong doings.

may i suggest webdoc your pre and start over and see if it fixes "palm **** up"?
    Pre be with you.

Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm. -- Winston Churchill

Happiness is not achieved by the conscious pursuit of happiness; it is generally the by-product of other activities. -- Aldous Huxley
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzard Jr View Post
    HOWEVER it is typical for someone to blame others for their own wrong doings.
    This really made me laugh! As if I did something to cause this...

But yeah, you're right on one thing, I certainly can't be sure it was a patch that caused this. I just assumed it was as yesterday all was working fine then today I installed a few patches and the rest is history...

Are you serious about webdoc?!? Why should I doc my phone when I didn't do anything? I'll tell you this, this phone has a thousand bugs, this is one of many and it's VERY annoying, my Treo 650 was a gem compared to this...
    I think what he was trying to say was you installed patches, had problems and then blamed Palm for them. He is right, it's hardly fair to blame Palm for issues caused by "use at your own risk," unsupported, homebrew type software/patches.

While most patches will not cause any issues there is always a chance things can go wrong.....when that happens and you have tried everything else.....webOS Doctor comes to the rescue (thank you Palm).
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by ryleyinstl View Post
    ...(thank you Palm).
    Thank you Palm my ar5e that you created a phone whose battery lasts less than a cigarette, thank thank thank you Palm. That better?!? Are you all Palm employees or is it a patriotic thing?
    Global Posts
    627 Global Posts
    Do an EPR from Preware and restart your phone. See if your problems go away.

If it doesn't, post a screenshot so we know what you're experiencing.

Having such a negative attitude doesn't help anyone and makes people less inclined to help you.
    Last edited by santos; 12/29/2009 at 10:40 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by crowning73 View Post
    Are you all Palm employees or is it a patriotic thing?
    I can't speak for everyone else but I'm not American so it can't be that. If citizenship equated phone preference I'd be a RIM man.

Try switching to cigars....perhaps you will get better battery life. If your battery is really only lasting a few hours you have a hardware issue and need your phone replaced (amusing your reception isn't rubbish).

Like Santos said run EPR. If that doesn't do it run webOS doctor. If that still doesn't fix it let us know and we can try and help.
    Last edited by ryleyinstl; 12/29/2009 at 10:42 AM.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by santos View Post
    Having such a negative attitude doesn't help anyone and makes people less inclined to help you.
    Yes I know, you're right. I don't think I offended anyone though, I try and weight my words, besides, English is not my native language. My anger came after reading it was somehow my fault to use a few patches (if those are the blame, that is) to improve a phone which lacks in many things (MANY MANY THINGS). I expected more, and I certainly didn't expect bugs when I parted with 400 euros to buy it.
    Your English is fine as was your decision to use patches. That said these patches aren't officially sanctioned by the manufacture so when things screw up we can't really blame them for it.

Did you try any of the suggestions above? Any luck?
    As far as I know, the character count drops to half when you enter an accented character that forces a switch to unicode, which requires two bytes per character instead of one. Maybe this is what's happening?
    Yeah, uhh... it's Kevin. (KevinT was already taken.)

PalmPilot Professional, Palm V, Kyocera 7135, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Palm Prē & Prē 2, HP TouchPad & Veer
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by ktessner View Post
    As far as I know, the character count drops to half when you enter an accented character that forces a switch to unicode, which requires two bytes per character instead of one. Maybe this is what's happening?
    That is proper good info, thanks. I had to use two accented characters in fact in that text as it was Italian (also contained the symbol), now I don't have the phone with me but I'll try tomorrow thanks. Although I'm pretty sure I've used accented symbols before... And today they not only dropped by half but sometimes wouldn't even let me finish the text with a tiny little red cross on the bottom right, but as I said I'll try as soon as feasible.

In reply to those who suggested running EPR, I'm afraid to say I can't install it, it says error log, as it does with some other patches like improved filename format, audio video attachments and alarm daily options, it just doesn't install them!