Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by volcom45 View Post
    I can't download anything from the app catalog. Not even talking about updating. I go to re-download an app I bought before that is no longer on my phone and it says reboot required (install failed) then I get back in after a luna restart and it shows the icon with an exclamation mark on top that says the install failed. I have plenty of free space in var. Any solutions or ideas??
    Same exact thing here...Is there a fix??
    Quote Originally Posted by packpackpack View Post
    Same exact thing here...Is there a fix??
    Everyone keeps posting the exact same problem without taking the time to look for the solution. This has been address several times here. Update Package Management Services and reinstall Preware using webos install. The instructions are in several post back. Once you run Preware it will fix the App catalog problems.
    Last night I downloaded Preware and installed a couple Homebrew apps and a new theme. Once I was done downloading those, I tried to download free apps from the Pixi App Catalog. When hitting download, nothing happens. Does anyone know if this is a problem due to the theme, Preware, etc? I've tried restarting many times. ???
    Quote Originally Posted by k4ever View Post
    Everyone keeps posting the exact same problem without taking the time to look for the solution. This has been address several times here. Update Package Management Services and reinstall Preware using webos install. The instructions are in several post back. Once you run Preware it will fix the App catalog problems.
    Nope, read the posts. Many (including the post you quote) are talking about downloading apps from the Palm App Store. That has nothing to do with Preware and Package Manager.

That being said, on my first try, NONE of the apps that I tried to download from the App Store or that the App Store said needed to update worked. (and just so everyone is clear, yes I had removed all patches and themes, had run epr, had removed and reinstalled preware and package manager etc. etc....) Always said "Install Failed." Nothing helped, not resetting, not removing the app and reloading, nothing. This was most upsetting for the Apps that had been working fine, but for which an update stared then failed. So I just left them alone hoping there would be a fix soon.

Several hours later, however, the phone, on its own, reinstalled most of them and this time they worked. It just started saying at the bottom in the notification area that it was "installing" the app. Now only two of the dozens of updates are still broken: "Quick Text" and "Stopwatch/Timer" still are not working. However I note for them it is saying "download failed" not "install failed" so perhaps its a different issue
    starbryte, did you check the other thread on this? You need to remove preware, reinstall it and run the Emergency Migration Helper. Its the thread just below this.
    I didn't see that post until after I submitted mine! I plan to try this later today. I hope this solves the problem. Thanks!
    Global Posts
    415 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shifted View Post
    Just wanted to help triangulate the "failed to install app" problem. I had Preware installed with many patches. I wasn't using themes, but I had used the mv app to move a few things. I upgraded the Package Manager Service, ran Emergency Patch Recovery, and rebooted before installing the 1.3.5 update.

Overall, my phone is working fine and I like the enhancements, except that I can't install apps from the official App Catalog. I can install Preware apps just fine, but anything from Palm's version fails to install. This includes apps I already owned, new apps I've never installed, and apps I've deleted and re-installed.

I know the webos-internals folks are working hard on all of this, so I also just wanted to express my thanks. You folks make the Pre an awesome phone - thank you!
    To be honest, I just glossed right over your message thinking "bah - it's the same issue that tells people that they need to reboot" (like the one below your post). But then I read closer after having some app catalog installs fail...

Here's what happened to me:
    1. upgraded to 1.3.5 with absolutely no issues after running EPR (I don't use any themes)
    2. enabled Dev Mode and downloaded the newest 2.96 of WebOSQuickInstall and removed the PackageManager service and PreWare from my device
    3. through WOSQI, I then reinstalled the PackageManager service
    4. through WOSQI, I then reinstalled PreWare
    4a. unplugged my phone and installed 4 patches: battery as %, remove battery % from device menu, add roam only to device menu, and
    5. turned off Dev Mode and rebooted phone
    ===THIS IS WHERE IT STARTS TO GET WEIRD===
    6. launched "Updates" and it found app updates - I then told it to install all of them
    6a. TWO FAILED, but the rest updated just fine. The failed two were "Feeds" and "Wabbit Hunt Lite"
    7. while I was there in the app catalog, I downloaded M:Racing
    7a. while it was downloading M:Racing, I used the new handy feature to back up a screen or two and look for more apps
    7b. I got the little notification at the bottom saying that M:Racing had installed successfully
    8. I then removed Wabbit Hunt Lite - which by now was a grayed out version of its normal icon with a blue circle superimposed over it (I have absolutely no idea what this means)
    8a. I also noticed that M:Racing was the same way - grayed out icon with a blue circle...
    9. I went back into the app catalog and tried to install Wabbit Hunt Lite (not that it's a favorite app - I'm just trying to stay with the same ingredients for the problem!). This time, I left it on the app catalog page while it was installing. Everything looked to go normally, as the little bar at the bottom went to "Downloading..." to "Installing..." - but then the notification popped up at the bottom of the screen saying that it was installed successfully. ...But the bar stayed at "Installing..."
    9a. I left it here for quite some time (5 minutes?) and the bar never changed from "Installing..."
    10. I closed the app catalog
    11. I then uninstalled (Orange+tap, then "Delete") both Wabbit Hunt Lite and M:Racing
    12. just for giggles, I then rebooted my phone by holding the power button and rocking the ringer switch back and forth a few times
    12a. I noticed that this "reboot" seemed to have the same behavior as one of my last Pres did when you slammed the keyboard shut and the thing turned off; it was odd because the screen kinda bled away instead of looking like a good shutdown...
    13. once the Palm logo showed up during boot, I went and ate and made coffee
    14. I came back from eating and my phone STILL had the Palm logo on it like it was still booting!! This is a 20 minute boot!
    15. I yanked the battery
    16. when I put the battery back in, the phone turned on and told me it was dead (you know: the battery logo with a red line at the bottom of it) - I figured this would be kinda normal if it really was heavily processing something while I thought it was "booting"; I probably only had about 60% when I started this fiasco
    17. I plugged the phone in and the Palm logo came back up on the screen - and stayed there for about 2 minutes; I figured it was booting...
    18. when my phone finished booting, it showed that I had 75% battery!! ...So why on earth did it tell me that it was dead?
    19. so I went back to the app catalog and tried to download something different: Easy Stopwatch. When I told it to download, I got a message saying that I would be unable to make/receive phone calls while it downloads because no 3G network is available. Huh? I'm supposed to be connected to WiFi... Where's my WiFi?
    20. pull down the Pre menu and sure enough - it says that I'm connected to my WiFi AP... but the WiFi bars at the top are all gray instead of white...
    21. reboot
    21a. during boot, I get the alert sound right before it is done booting; when it's done booting, I see a notification that says that "Feeds - Download Failed". Feeds? From step 6a above!?
    22. my WiFi looks like it's working now, so I proceed to re-open the app catalog.
    22a. I tell it to download "Easy Stopwatch" again and it installs successfully - meaning that the bar went to "Tap to launch" at the same time that I got the notification that it finished.
    23. close the app catalog and find that "Easy Stopwatch" launches with no problems - and the icon looks normal, too
    24. re-open the app catalog and searched for "Wabbit" - only result displayed is the paid version. Ok... Search for "Racing" and the only thing close to "M:Racing" is the one where you pay $4.99 for some points.
    25. I confirm that these do not show in "My Applications", nor my launcher... I guess I can't download them anymore?

EDIT: I forgot to mention that I installed the EMH somewhere in there, too.

Holy crap I'm sorry for the long write-up but I had so many things go wonky on me this morning that I didn't know where to start! It looks like something has gone horribly awry somewhere... Some apps not updating? Blue circles on icons? Endless reboot? Some apps install and some don't? Battery warning when I still have 70%? Can't find apps that are not installed on my device? WiFi not connected? Repeat notifications from a long time ago? Odd shutdown bleed when holding power and rocking the ringer switch?

I know - you guys are probably going to say "It sounds like it's time to see the Dr.!" - but none of this weirdness happened before yesterday's update.
    Last edited by etnpnys; 12/30/2009 at 11:24 AM.
    I see new apps being pushed out but do they know that 1.3.5 is wreaking havoc on downloads and having the Pre restart itself now???

I know about Preware and the mitigration but is palm doing anything to fix this??? Or do we have to wait for 1.3.6
    R.I.P Palm Centro (6.5.09)
    New Pre Owner (6.6.09)

Nothing wrong here in ATL, and I still see the same 944 apps.
    Global Posts
    92 Global Posts
    I've been downloading and updating apps with no havoc being wreaked on my pre :/ what problems are you having?
    No problems here. App Catalog works better than ever.

You probably had some remnant's of patches left on your device when you updated. Best bet it is to Doctor back to 1.3.1 then update to 1.3.5.
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    Impulsebuyer, that reboot is because you haven't run Emergency Migration Helper. Make sure you have reinstalled preware (if you havent already done so) and then look up the EMH and run that. Once thats done your appstore issues should be gone.
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by midmofan View Post
    Several hours later, however, the phone, on its own, reinstalled most of them and this time they worked. It just started saying at the bottom in the notification area that it was "installing" the app. Now only two of the dozens of updates are still broken: "Quick Text" and "Stopwatch/Timer" still are not working. However I note for them it is saying "download failed" not "install failed" so perhaps its a different issue
    By chance, did you download StopWatch/Timer when it was free?
    I had this same thing happen to me where I could not update/run Stopwatch/Timer after the update. I also had the Resistor band app, that did the same thing. I deleted them, then when I went to reinstall them, I noticed they are now PAID apps. Looking in the App Catalog for "Quick Text" It seems that is a paid app too.

I think the issue here is some of the free apps were turned into paid apps after/at the upgrade. So upgrading them isn't going to work, as they were never paid for.
    No (more) problems with mine either, mitigration or otherwise (sorry, I couldn't help it).

Seriously, this isn't a Palm issue, it's a Preware issue, and they've provided the fix. Make sure you have the latest version of Preware, then run the EMH. Or, you can Doctor, update to 1.3.5, then install the latest version of Preware (this is what I eventually did).

Preware is great, and the amount of effort they're putting into it is amazing; but the bottom line is it's all a hack. It's a good hack, but it's a hack. When you hack your phone, you have to be prepared to deal with some problems along the way. This is just a bump in the road.
    Global Posts
    415 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sedorox View Post
    By chance, did you download StopWatch/Timer when it was free?
    I had this same thing happen to me where I could not update/run Stopwatch/Timer after the update. I also had the Resistor band app, that did the same thing. I deleted them, then when I went to reinstall them, I noticed they are now PAID apps. Looking in the App Catalog for "Quick Text" It seems that is a paid app too.

I think the issue here is some of the free apps were turned into paid apps after/at the upgrade. So upgrading them isn't going to work, as they were never paid for.
    I was wondering this same thing actually for "Feeds" - I think I downloaded it long ago when it was still Homebrew... Now I have removed it to hopefully resolve a problem and I don't think I'll be able to get it back now without paying for it. I guess that makes sense though, for the devs...
    i am having the same issues. have been on the phone with palm all morning. of course they can't help. i also have no clue what you all are talking about. can someone explain this to me in laymen's terms please?
    Global Posts
    194 Global Posts
    the only problem I had was several of my beta apps were "slammed" to the fee apps after the update, which means they would not open any more. They show up on the Pre screen now with a ! in the icon. Word Whirl is one. My only solution was to delete it, as it would not open any more, and install Word Whirl Lite, which is the limited version.
    Please do a partial erase on the device. Just did that on a friends pre and fixed this problem. If your using Preware, do make sure to get the latest version and the installer service.
    I have the same problem but I haven't installed PreWare. In fact I have just got the phone as as soon as I installed the 1.3.5 update the app catalog didnt work. I did a full & partial erase with no success.
    I had that problem, just remove the apps that are not downloading correctly, retart ur ph n tried downloading fr the apps catalog that should work, it did for me
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast