1.    #1  
    I finally got the right combination of patches and stuff to optimize speed and battery life, and last night, in an instant, my power button fails completely and my slider goes bad. If I press it really hard, I can turn my phone on, but not off. Sprint ordered me another one and I am using the slider to wake it up until it gets here. BUT, when I open the slider, sometimes it makes crackling noises and the screen starts flashing and getting all jumbled and I have to close it and open it a few times to clear it up.

Is this what I have to look forward to with the Pre? Never getting more than a few months out of it before the hardware fails?

#1 bricked because of the 1.0.4 software update, and Sprint hadn't even heard of WebOS Doctor. #3 I dropped. Totally my fault--but it WAS a hardware issue : ). #2 had a terrible Oreo effect AND the screen overheated and went bad on a charge. #4 the power button went bad and the slider is shorting out.

So, now I'm waiting on #5, half expecting it to have an out of box problem like an Oreo effect or some other problem.

I really have NO idea what to do. I played with the Hero several times. Nice OS, but as confusing to maneuver around as WinOS and I'm a pretty technical guy. I gave my dad the Pixi for Chanukah and he loves it. I set it up for him and was very taken by how tiny it is.

I'm actually tempted to go with the Pixi. It has all the benefits of WebOS. Plua, it's small, it's sexy, and has tremendous battery life even with heavy usage. I would certainly miss the form factor of the Pre, and the very limited occasion during which I use WiFi (usually to augment a download). But, to limit the potential hardware issues, it might be worth it.

I really wish there was a try-before-buy option. Not a play with it in the store option. A take it home and use it for several weeks option. I'd really like 2 weeks to test drive a Pixi with no restocking fees or anything, to see if I can really get used to the smaller keyboard and screen, the lack of WiFi and the lower quality camera (with two young kids, a good phone camera is a must).

Anyway, thanks for all your time.
    Last edited by pelikan3; 12/29/2009 at 12:56 AM.
    I got tired of baby sitting my phone and moved on to something a bit more robust. I love the phone and the OS, build quality is horrendous.
    I will be interested when has a better build.

ymmv
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisMac323 View Post
    I got tired of baby sitting my phone and moved on to something a bit more robust. I love the phone and the OS, build quality is horrendous.
    I will be interested when has a better build.

ymmv
    What did you choose?
    Global Posts
    42 Global Posts
    Hero
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by eheaps View Post
    Hero
    I played with the Hero. It's very cool looking, but, robustness for me has to be highly maneuverable as well. WinMo was more robust than Palm OS, but it took a lot to dig around and get to stuff, and several steps to do what Palm could do with 1. I find this iteration of Android to be that way. I've seen Android before, on other phones, but HTS seems to have found a way to make it more complicated.

Funny thing is, there are other Android phones out there that I like better (My Touch and Click) but I'm not switching providers to get to them.

Maybe I'll give Hero another look, but I may just suffer through the size reduction and go with the Pixi. Or, I may just take one more shot at the Pre. Who knows.
    They Samsung Moment is a good phone. Kinda heavy buty bright and beautiful. The clarity will knock your socks off
    Quote Originally Posted by pelikan3 View Post
    What did you choose?
    Hero
    Quote Originally Posted by pelikan3 View Post
    I really wish there was a try-before-buy option. Not a play with it in the store option. A take it home and use it for several weeks option. I'd really like 2 weeks to test drive a Pixi with no restocking fees or anything, to see if I can really get used to the smaller keyboard and screen, the lack of WiFi and the lower quality camera (with two young kids, a good phone camera is a must).

Anyway, thanks for all your time.
    You should check with Best Buy, they might not charge a restocking fee. I know they do for the iPhone, but I'm not sure about other phones.
    I have both the pre and pixi, on the 5th pre and 2nd pixi.(and not 1 was my fault, all hardware failures)and it sucks, but I look @ it as when the next more robust webOS phone comes out I will just switch to that from the pre. I love my pre, but I hate sliders. moving parts was a bad idea for their comeback. I'm staying though. This update really got rid of almost all my lag.

With the patches it seems even more fluid. The andriod phones always seem to slow down when you add to them(both my roommates have 'em, 1 a driod, the other the hero).Both the pre and pixi are faster than my roommates hero, and I love how it uninates him off lol. The driod is faster than the pixi, but the pre is hands down about the same speed now.
    Last edited by toyotast165; 12/29/2009 at 02:19 AM. Reason: stupid fat fingers
    Palm prē-ist.
    honestly if your thinking about the pixi, check it out its like a better centro, easy to use and works. It gets better service than the pre too!
    Palm prē-ist.
    In all my years of having electronics, i've never tolerated replacing the same device more than once, maybe twice (just maybe) if i loved it that much. I don't have a Pre but when one is on the 5th Pre (or the X number like i notice on these fora) then it's time to move on to something else and wait for a much better WebOS device down the road.

There are always the diamonds in the rough who are on Pre #1 and have no problem whatsoever but every Pre i've personally played with in at least 10 Sprint stores and from countless people ever since launch have put me at bay in getting one. It's just not there. And the Pixi is not all that better, dabbled with that too and it's slow and lags but great keyboard though.
    .....Life is But Such Sweet Sorrow.....
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by Merovingian View Post
    In all my years of having electronics, i've never tolerated replacing the same device more than once, maybe twice (just maybe) if i loved it that much. I don't have a Pre but when one is on the 5th Pre (or the X number like i notice on these fora) then it's time to move on to something else and wait for a much better WebOS device down the road.

There are always the diamonds in the rough who are on Pre #1 and have no problem whatsoever but every Pre i've personally played with in at least 10 Sprint stores and from countless people ever since launch have put me at bay in getting one. It's just not there. And the Pixi is not all that better, dabbled with that too and it's slow and lags but great keyboard though.
    I am the opposite. If a phone is the "IT phone", even if it doesn't live consistently up to it's expectations, I would rather have them replace it up the wazoo, even if it frustrates me, then live with something I think is lesser until the good phone finally arrives. Essentially, because, it NEVER does. Cute but mundane phones like Blackberry, chug along forever and can be dropped off buildings and still work. More exciting phones, and there was a time when even the Treo line was more exciting, will always have inherent build problems or software issues.

Not to say there aren't phones I like, I am just not willing to switch carriers to get them. If Sprint had the MyTouch, the Click, or the iPhone, it would be easy. But I just feel the love in Sprint's flavor or hardware build of Android.

I was just hoping I would find my solution in the Pixi, or maybe get reassurance that someone has finally gotten a Pre that lived.

By the way... I talked to a rep at the Sprint store who said they get very few Pre's back, and they sell a lot of them. So, maybe it's just that we congregate, that gives the illusion that these things are destined to fail?
    Last edited by pelikan3; 12/29/2009 at 10:31 AM.