Global Posts
    752 Global Posts
    Just updated from Sprint 1.2 to 1.3.1 to 1.3.5. Went back to 1.2 from 1.3.1 earlier, because of the 3G data bug talked about here, here and here.

Sadly Vodafone NL still doesn't work in 1.3.5. Not by changing the manual settings or the CarrierNetworkSettings.db3.

No paid apps here either. Although this could be different in EU 1.3.5 (not getting my hopes up).

New features/fixes can be found here:

Palm Support : Palm Pre Sprint - Software update information for Palm Pre Sprint p100eww
    Global Posts
    73 Global Posts
    Just wondering is it worth upgrading my O2 UK phone to this via Sprints WebOS Doctor ? I know I will have some unused icon's to remove from my launcher but 'there's an app for that' .. It would save waiting for the to get there **** into gear.. unsure what would happen to the apps cat mind.

Anyone done this ?
    Global Posts
    810 Global Posts
    How did u upgrade ur GSM pre to 1.3.5?
    Global Posts
    73 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by meCka View Post
    How did u upgrade ur GSM pre to 1.3.5?
    You would use the restore WebOS Doctor which is the official restore app which is only out for 1.3.1 sprint and the upgrade through the phone app.

Webos Doctor Versions - WebOS Internals

You would end up with icons on your launcher that you wouldn't use and most likely a broken app cat that you might be able to swap out with the uk 1.3.1 for now.

Steve
    Global Posts
    69 Global Posts
    Guys is it really worth all the hassle in all honesty I'm just as impatient and can't wait too but you'll all probably just end up with more issues than "benefits" of a frankenstein-ed WebOS IMHO......

Right now m trying to look on the bright side by thinking at least I can get clued up on the new WebOS so I can avoid pitfalls etc later and by the time it comes to EU, preware and unofficial tweaks will be debugged so in essence although we will be behind, by the time we get 1.3.5, we'll have less hassle and the advantage of a being able to run a smoother system off the bat...

But hey who m I to give advice
    Global Posts
    810 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CdRsKuLL View Post
    You would use the restore WebOS Doctor which is the official restore app which is only out for 1.3.1 sprint and the upgrade through the phone app.

Webos Doctor Versions - WebOS Internals

You would end up with icons on your launcher that you wouldn't use and most likely a broken app cat that you might be able to swap out with the uk 1.3.1 for now.

Steve
    So it is possible then? Is there any way i can hide/delete those unused icons? Im in the US so i think the Sprint Catalog should work for me fine, right? Also, will it let me enter manual APN settings?
    Last edited by meCka; 12/29/2009 at 04:10 AM.
    Global Posts
    73 Global Posts
    You can enter the APN setting from 1.3.1 I think. There is a app I found in preware / launcher that hide's icons. I will give it ago myself once I get a minute free. Remember to back everything up !.. it shouldn't overwrite your pictures / ringtones etc that are on the usb harddrive partition. Worst case is you jusr redo the Web Doctor back to your current provider.

O and why bother doing it and not just wait.. Well why not ? Some people are quite content to sit and wait / other's arn't.. I'm the latter and have nothing against those who choose different. :-) I enjoy messing about and it's a great way of learning. I'm one of those kids who took things apart when I was younger.. I can't help it.. it's in built.. lol

Steve
    Quote Originally Posted by tomi666 View Post
    I'm going to run with Sprint firmware from now on. I'll reinstall WR when it's worth my while. I think chances are App Catalog will be made available to Sprint firmware worldwide BEFORE any of the other firmwares get access to it.
    Be aware that the Sprint OTA update no longer includes the UMTS modem firmware.

So if you're using Sprint firmware on a GSM device, you will never get any GSM modem updates that Palm pushes out.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Just wondering is it worth upgrading my O2 UK phone to this via Sprints WebOS Doctor ? I know I will have some unused icon's to remove from my launcher but 'there's an app for that' .. It would save waiting for the to get there **** into gear.. unsure what would happen to the apps cat mind.

Anyone done this ?
    I've had mine on sprint firmware ever since launch day =P.

Its not that hard doctoring, and i doctor before updating every new webOS version, its much recommended, i doubt well be seeing the update till CES, but you never know.
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Be aware that the Sprint OTA update no longer includes the UMTS modem firmware.

So if you're using Sprint firmware on a GSM device, you will never get any GSM modem updates that Palm pushes out.

-- Rod
    Wont replacing castleumtsfw in the firmware eliminate this concern?
    Thanks for the warning Rod, but I think I'll cross that bridge when it's in flames.
    I'm quite happy with any and all firmware versions. It's mostly cosmetics and psychology I'm worried about (I just want the updates as soon as these are out). I get all femaled up when it comes to my Pre. In all seriousness, I think it's more troubling I can't find the gpsOne tab on my GSM model.

EDIT: After a few hours on 135 soil, I'm definitely moving back to higher 131 grounds for the moment. Greg's messaging plugin and the precorder's GST service are acting up.
    Last edited by tomi666; 12/29/2009 at 12:37 PM.
    Global Posts
    73 Global Posts
    Well I've just upgraded my O2 UK Palm pre to Sprint 1.3.5 firmware. I had to download the 1.2.1 Sprint webdoctor (the 1.3.5 is now region locked it seems) and installed that which wiped everything. I then used the pre upgrade icon from the launcher to download the 1.3.5 update (135mb) I think it was through wifi. this took about 15 minutes..

So.. does it work ? YES.. it seems so. My message icon was blank in the launch but a reboot made it come back. What was a shock was the pre app cat works... Still has the BETA across the welcome screen but if I just press enter it then list's 194 app's available. :-) I tried installing Wabbit lite and it installed and worked no probs :-)

So the only thing it seems I need to do it to remove a few icons from the launch screen that are now redundant.. ie..

Amazon MP3 - is this needed ?
    Sprint TV
    Sprint
    Nascar
    NFL

I also like the way it also comes with yell.com and also tweed installed ! This wasnt on my uk 1.3.1 I feel cheated ! lol..

Now to install Preware and get rid of them icons and get afew patch's running like 4x4 / LED Notification :-)

Very easy upgrade really.. can't get over the app cat working ! lol

Steve
    Global Posts
    73 Global Posts
    well.. I'm now left with two icons in the launcher from my sprint firmware... They are

Sprint and Sprint Navigation.. Anyone how to remove these's ? Other than them everything seems to be working great :-)

Steve
    Try installing the Precorder or the Messaging plugins, will you? ;-)
    I would also be willing to bet that all updates from 1.2 on have the ability to do Paid apps. It is simply geography filtering in place from Palm, while they work out the details. It other words, one firmware over another will probably not get paid apps sooner.
    Your Pre wants Word Whirl from the App Catalog.

It told me.
    is it faster? like in calender etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by peabrain View Post
    is it faster? like in calender etc.
    Much much much faster.

Everything is snappier overall, apps are faster, the web browser is like new! Hardly any checkerboard galore now, everything generally is much faster, smoother animations etc. Contacts now loads pretty smoothely and without interruptions, not as much stuttering. The App Catalog is great and a welcome update indeed.

Combined with the foundations for OpenGL found and flash/Video recording in the previous update, this phone is shaping up to be wow!
    Global Posts
    69 Global Posts

Very easy upgrade really.. can't get over the app cat working ! lol

Steve

You're brave is Classic in there and can it be installed
    Global Posts
    73 Global Posts
    Sorry Classic isnt in the app cat it seems.. BUT I have had doom running ... lol :-) Get in there !