Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    266 Global Posts
    I welcome the delay, it gives me a chance to jump on here and get a better idea of what to expect - the positives and the negatives.
    You're invited to follow me on Twitter
    I just doctor to Sprint's 1.2.1 then update to 1.3.1 from there, it tides me over unti; the true GSM update comes and lets me fiddle with all the fancy new features (and by that I mean small fixes).
    1.3.5's a good update though, go and check the findings and fixes thread if any of you haven't. 1.3.5 is far more to 1.3.1 than 1.3.1 ever was to 1.2.1... If that makes sense >_>
    webOS Ports' UI Architect & luna-sysmgr guru.
    considering europe never got 1.2.1 we wont know what you mean shiftyaxel :P
    the jump from 1.0.3 to 1.3.1 was a good one, but didnt have enough stuff we want, this 1.3.5 fixes a few issues, but brings nothing to the table.......still i want it
    Oh yeah, that IS true :P rest assured I'm a GSM user though, I'm just a bit obsessive when it comes to having the latest updates, even if that does mean putting up with those blasted Sprint apps :P I want official O2 just to get rid of those damn things if nothing else.
    Personally I'd like to see BBC iPlayer integration with the next firmware update. The Sprint subscribers get quite a few perks with their Pre - not least of which Amazon MP3 store (which I sorely wish we could have had too).

If it takes much longer we will have full fledged flash support and we'll be able to just go to the regular iplayer site
    I'd say they should scrap all of the bundled stuff and have it on the World Ready config, then just have all the sprint stuff, BBC stuff, yada yada available via the App Store. Makes for a much cleaner experience that way.
    I agree that would be much more elegant
    Global Posts
    69 Global Posts
    Hear, Hear!
    you know, I love supporting the underdog, and I hate going with the crowd, so when webos and the pre poped up online 12months ago I was like, that's my phone!!!!!BIG mistake; for a second I thought that a (US) company other than apple was going to bring out a truly international masterpiece, I was wrong. Here in the uk, with constant waiting for updates, which end up delivering less than patches can fix, and a mpoxy 150 apps in the catalogue, most of which are bad at best . . . . Kinda dissapointing from the 'iphone killer' woops, made a mistake their, more like the 'us iphone small competitor but not really to the eu so maybe go for a 3gs instead of waiting killer'. I know palm are a small us company, but really, just cus ur small and poor doesn't mean you can ignore a massive cusomer base here in the eu. I love my pre's potential, just a shame it obviously will never be maximised, as palm are going to be pressured to bring out some new hardware before they get the chance to fully show this one off!! The only shame is, I persuaded all my mates to get a pre, lets hope they don't get too ****ed off with me.

that's my 2 shillings anyway...
  10. ldj
    Global Posts
    264 Global Posts
    I spoke with O2 earlier (on an unrelated matter) and they said that the next OS update would be released "early in the new year"

Fingers crossed for jan 2nd then!
    Global Posts
    69 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ldj View Post

Fingers crossed for jan 2nd then!
    I'd say closer to 14th Jan.... but hey i could be wrong... infact according to my wonderful wife i always am
    Quote Originally Posted by phil.hsr View Post
    you know, I love supporting the underdog, and I hate going with the crowd, so when webos and the pre poped up online 12months ago I was like, that's my phone!!!!!BIG mistake; for a second I thought that a (US) company other than apple was going to bring out a truly international masterpiece, I was wrong. Here in the uk, with constant waiting for updates, which end up delivering less than patches can fix, and a mpoxy 150 apps in the catalogue, most of which are bad at best . . . . Kinda dissapointing from the 'iphone killer' woops, made a mistake their, more like the 'us iphone small competitor but not really to the eu so maybe go for a 3gs instead of waiting killer'. I know palm are a small us company, but really, just cus ur small and poor doesn't mean you can ignore a massive cusomer base here in the eu. I love my pre's potential, just a shame it obviously will never be maximised, as palm are going to be pressured to bring out some new hardware before they get the chance to fully show this one off!! The only shame is, I persuaded all my mates to get a pre, lets hope they don't get too ****ed off with me.

ok lets look at the evidence, compare and contrast. Palm Pre has been on sale since the 16th October in the UK and apps albeit limited wher available since day one. Apple took a full twelve months before they were able to allow 3rd party apps.
    Palm has issued 6 firmware updates in the 6 months it has been available in the US that equates to one a month. Try that Apple.
    Palm multi tasks rather than having to close one app down to open another.
    Palm almost embraces the homwbrew community to drive the product forward, where as Apple has the complete opposite approach.
    Palm took a month from UK launch to update to include copy/past, Apple took two years.
    Palm to my knoweldge will not reject an app simply because is duplicates native applications functionality. Apple will not allow any duplicated apps no matter how much it adds to the user experience. lookat webis and Pocket Informant
    Flash support will be available on the Palm pre in early 2010. Apple do you know what Flash is?
    When your battery fails on a Pre, buy a new one. When it fails with Apple hey ship it back for a costly repair.

Now after all that you may think that I m knocking Apple. Not at all, I own a 3GS and had the original iphone too. I also own a HTC HD2, over the years I have owned Palm's XDA's and all manner of PDA's. It just so happens that Palm has a fantastic product on it's hands and has created a lust for the product to be constantly improved, which is only natural. Let's not forget that in the UK at least this product has been around for eleven weeks, lets give it chance to mature and let's encurage it not derise it.
    Quote Originally Posted by phil.hsr View Post

Could you do me a favour ? Stop whining, dry your eyes, wipe your nose, and take a long brisk walk on a short pier.
    Quote Originally Posted by markda2000 View Post
    ok lets look at the evidence, compare and contrast. Palm Pre has been on sale since the 16th October in the UK and apps albeit limited wher available since day one. Apple took a full twelve months before they were able to allow 3rd party apps.
    Palm has issued 6 firmware updates in the 6 months it has been available in the US that equates to one a month. Try that Apple.
    Palm almost embraces the homwbrew community to drive the product forward, where as Apple has the complete opposite approach.
    Palm took a month from UK launch to update to include copy/past, Apple took two years.
    Palm to my knoweldge will not reject an app simply because is duplicates native applications functionality. Apple will not allow any duplicated apps no matter how much it adds to the user experience. lookat webis and Pocket Informant
    Flash support will be available on the Palm pre in early 2010. Apple do you know what Flash is?
    When your battery fails on a Pre, buy a new one. When it fails with Apple hey ship it back for a costly repair.

Now after all that you may think that I m knocking Apple. Not at all, I own a 3GS and had the original iphone too. I also own a HTC HD2, over the years I have owned Palm's XDA's and all manner of PDA's. It just so happens that Palm has a fantastic product on it's hands and has created a lust for the product to be constantly improved, which is only natural. Let's not forget that in the UK at least this product has been around for eleven weeks, lets give it chance to mature and let's encurage it not derise it.
    Thanks for this post. I come from a BlackBerry background and I grew tired of waiting for them to innovate - but that was after 2-3 years of relatively stagnant progress. Palm have already achieved so much and look set to only deliver more and more. Personally I think we're doing ok here. Naturally the US is going to be first served because Palm is a relatively small company. I don't think we'll have to wait more than 2 weeks before we see the firmware update and then we've got whatever comes out of CES to look forward to (even if it is only developer tools, which I think would still be a good thing).

I don't consider myself a Palm "fan" (I have no loyalty, I will pay my money to whichever company I believe has the best product for me) but I am very encouraged by what Palm have done and what they seem intent on doing in the near future.
    Quote Originally Posted by markda2000 View Post

Great post. I am a @palm subscriber on twitter, and I was pleasantly surprised when palm retweeded a tweed about preware - they actually want you to "jailbreak" your pre - and the fact that they added an alternate code to access dev. Mode shows how much palm loves the homebrew community.
    Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    this thread has become a shameless rant-a-thon.
    Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    Just noticed that the app catalog gone from 75 apps to just one, the Classics app that I couldnt even see before. Hope this not just a glitch and instead is a indication of that 1.3.5 is close.
    Treo 180 270 600 650 Centro Pre Pr3 tPad tPad4G
    I am stil at 198 in the catalogue
    Have you seen the transformation of the Pre with this update?
    It's getting the speed it needed to become a decent phone

Quote Originally Posted by Holems Golza View Post
    Have you seen the transformation of the Pre with this update?
    It's getting the speed it needed to become a decent phone

Hopefully a sign of things to come.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast