Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    Just a word of warning I suppose. My phone (with many patches via Preware) started having some bizarre "Phone offline" issues. I experienced a slow erratic death beginning with an inability to call out (though I could receive calls and txt just fine) followed w/in 24 hours with a *total* "Phone offline" status. In my paranoia and rush (i.e. I didn't do a good search here for the issue first) I uninstalled recent, then all patches. That didn't fix it. I backed up my personal info and thought "I'll do a partial erase via device manager".

Mistake.

Did the partial erase and phone got stuck in a weird loop of eternal 'loading' circle followed by "Phone Error - your phone has suffered an unrecoverable error, please contact www.palm.com/support for help" or words to that effect.

I chatted with two tech folks at Palm who advised me to run webOS doctor. I had already tried that, but webOS doctor wouldn't acknowledge that I had plugged in my Pre, so it would never run.

Went to Sprint. Tech there said he had never seen that screen before ("Phone Error"). They tried to dump me back to Palm support, I showed them my saved transcripts, and finally insisted on a new Pre. After a bit of hemming and hawing they relented, and I get a new Pre tomorrow (12/29/09).

Most of my info is backed up with Goggle, though I'm sure I have some old data resident on my Palm Profile. Hopefully I won't lose that.

oh, and I've had my Pre since launch day - one replacement (brand new) b/c of dropped phone (insurance got me a new one) had that one for months before this started randomly happening.

Other old threads talking about the "Phone offline" problem said that going in and out of "Airplane Mode" fixed the issue for some (though not all). Wish I would have searched like I normally do to try that before I bricked my Pre.

Ok then - Happy New Year coming up. Just thought I'd share and hopefully save the pain for others who may experience this issue themselves.
    take out the battery, put in the battery, hold up volume key, plug in usb. You should see a big usb symbol indicating the Pre is in recovery mode, the doctor should now be able to see the phone.

-Eric G

WebOS Internals Developer.
    Follow me on Twitter for updates to my projects: | Virtual Keyboard | wIRC | SuperTux | AUPT | KeyBoss | freeTether |

Donate
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    huh. I saw variants of this advice before, but the 'volume up' thing didn't work. I'll try this again later when I get home post-work. If it doesn't work, no biggie. will get new phone tomorrow regardless.

thanks for the advice.
    Quote Originally Posted by emoney_33 View Post
    take out the battery, put in the battery, hold up volume key, plug in usb. You should see a big usb symbol indicating the Pre is in recovery mode, the doctor should now be able to see the phone.
    What he said. Also, if this does work, please post back here confirming that it does. (More than likely it will )

Also, here is a good read if you need to recover your phone. How To Recover - WebOS Internals
    WebOS Doctor will see my phone, but it only gets to 54% and then says it's unable to complete the process. I wonder if it has something to do with the fact that I'm running Windows Vista 64-bit. Evidently there's something you have to do for Novacom, but I don't understand. Anyone else having the issue where WebOS Doctor won't complete?
    Same problem here. Stopped at 54%. Will try to run again.
    I had the same phone offline and the dreaded clouds background. My pre is now a brick. Sprint couldn't solve it they are shipping me a new phone this week.
    Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bpdamas View Post
    What he said. Also, if this does work, please post back here confirming that it does. (More than likely it will )

Also, here is a good read if you need to recover your phone. How To Recover - WebOS Internals
    Had to do this to my phone and it worked. It took several times holding the volume button before webos doctor would recognize the phone. Also had the issue of webos doctor only completing 50% or so and then cycling. I had to keep restarting before it finally worked. My advice is if it doesnt work the first time keep trying.

Novacom can be reinstalled through Webos quick installer I believe
    To solve the phone offline issue was as simple as turning on airplane mode then turn it off.....My phone went completely off line as well and after a lil research came across the "airplane mode" method and it worked like a charm........
    FYI, There's no such thing as a "Bricked" webOS device.