Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    5 Global Posts
    Hey everyone, I've been lurking around the past week or so and I've really been considering the Pre, but before I jump in and get the new phone I just want to hear some feedback before having to deal with Sprint. I'm currently on a Blackberry Curve 8330 and my contracts up. I tried the HTC Hero when it came out, but the battery life was poor and the phone needed to be tweaked more than my computer just to have it run properly, the OS lagged constantly, and the phone would just get way too hot to hold after even a short phone call conversation. Mainly I wanted to know how the Pre is treating you guys as far as battery life? I would be texting on the phone frequently (50+ texts a day), making several short phone calls, and some internet browsing, how would the Pre hold up to this type of use? When I had the Hero I'd leave for school at 8:30AM and by 3:00PM in the afternoon (with barely any of that use) I'd be down to half a battery. With my Curve, I charge my phone at night and I have a full day's worth of use with no problem, long phone calls, lots of texting (and BBMing), some browsing, and light gaming. Would I be able to get that type of battery life out of a Pre?

Thanks!
    well battery is never one of the pres strong suits i personally can go from 6:50 to around 7 on a charge, keyboard is great for texts but will take getting used to, browser is fast but imo pre heats up a little too quickly while browsing but it should last a day of moderate use just avoid pandora its a serious battery killer
    Global Posts
    733 Global Posts
    Many ppl have issues with battery life (Me included). I think you should get feedback from us once we get 1.3.5 (Its supposed to help battery life) Besides that, I love my pre and Sprints affordable plans.
    My first theme - Mac OSX Theme Gallery or Pre Themer

Learn how to run your pre at 800mhz Here!
    Global Posts
    453 Global Posts
    You've obviously heard good and bad, if you've been lurking for a while on these forums. My advice? Don't. If you need/want a phone now, get a Droid or an iPhone. If you can wait, you're in even better shape, because Palm is expected to make announcements at CES regarding the next generation Pre device, Apple should be releasing their new iPhone within 6 months, and the reputed Google Phone (aka Nexus One) should be released forthwith.

I've had horrible experiences with my Pre's (I'm on my 7th one, albeit they are all the 1st gen build quality), so I'm jaded, for sure. Sprint's customer service though, is the absolute worst, bar none. If that is your main concern, and you choose the Pre anyway, the service is fine—just hope above all hopes that you don't have to deal with customer service in any way, shape, or form.

In regards to battery life, you can expect slightly worse life than your Hero, when factoring in your usage.
    just feel i should correct that the update is 1.3.5 not 3.1.5 in case he didnt know how fast webos has progressed
    Global Posts
    733 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by buyrihn View Post
    You've obviously heard good and bad, if you've been lurking for a while on these forums. My advice? Don't. If you need/want a phone now, get a Droid or an iPhone. If you can wait, you're in even better shape, because Palm is expected to make announcements at CES regarding the next generation Pre device, Apple should be releasing their new iPhone within 6 months, and the reputed Google Phone (aka Nexus One) should be released forthwith.

I've had horrible experiences with my Pre's (I'm on my 7th one, albeit they are all the 1st gen build quality), so I'm jaded, for sure. Sprint's customer service though, is the absolute worst, bar none. If that is your main concern, and you choose the Pre anyway, the service is fine—just hope above all hopes that you don't have to deal with customer service in any way, shape, or form.
    Yeah i have to agree with customer service. If i have issues with my phone, i rather find help from this forum than call cs. FYI i'm still on my 1st pre from launch

Global Posts
    733 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 063_xobx View Post
    just feel i should correct that the update is 1.3.5 not 3.1.5 in case he didnt know how fast webos has progressed
    lol fixed. I don't wanna get ppls hopes up!

Quote Originally Posted by as4life View Post
    Yeah i have to agree with customer service. If i have issues with my phone, i rather find help from this forum than call cs. FYI i'm still on my 1st pre from launch
    strange i found cs to be quite helpful after a bit of bickering over whether i cause the issue or not (battery failure) but it is their job to help and if you give them a chance they will
    Quote Originally Posted by caster View Post
    Hey everyone, I've been lurking around the past week or so and I've really been considering the Pre, but before I jump in and get the new phone I just want to hear some feedback before having to deal with Sprint. I'm currently on a Blackberry Curve 8330 and my contracts up. I tried the HTC Hero when it came out, but the battery life was poor and the phone needed to be tweaked more than my computer just to have it run properly, the OS lagged constantly, and the phone would just get way too hot to hold after even a short phone call conversation. Mainly I wanted to know how the Pre is treating you guys as far as battery life? I would be texting on the phone frequently (50+ texts a day), making several short phone calls, and some internet browsing, how would the Pre hold up to this type of use? When I had the Hero I'd leave for school at 8:30AM and by 3:00PM in the afternoon (with barely any of that use) I'd be down to half a battery. With my Curve, I charge my phone at night and I have a full day's worth of use with no problem, long phone calls, lots of texting (and BBMing), some browsing, and light gaming. Would I be able to get that type of battery life out of a Pre?

Thanks!
    you're gonna have prob similar battery life or slightly better right now. I can make it from 7AM-7PM with moderate-heavy use very similar to what you describe. Solutions:

1. microusb to usb cables - can be found at monoprice...I leave one on the office PC in case I get real low and need a boost.

2. Fueltank by Callpod (by far my most favorite an external portable battery charger) - this thing rocks! It can take a dead Pre up to 100% within like 30-60 minutes). A real lifesaver!

3. Car charger = a must

4. Turn off GPS under location services so that it's only called upon when really needed, and turn off AOL and GoogleTalk chat.

5. Reduce brightness to almost the lowest level (about 1/6 from lowest). Still very bright

As for build quality - I'm a VERY heavy user practically using it every hour of the day since June. I'm on my second one which I got in November. Of the 4 in our family, 2 are still original (light-moderate users) and 2 had to be replaced (heavy users). The first one developed a crack near the charging port and a small piece chipped off the side. But I dropped it hard probably a dozen or so times...and the original one still ran fine. I had insurance so I changed it. So yeah the plastic may be a little cheap but get insurance and you should be OK.
    Last edited by cyberprashant; 12/28/2009 at 11:48 AM.
    Global Posts
    733 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 063_xobx View Post
    strange i found cs to be quite helpful after a bit of bickering over whether i cause the issue or not (battery failure) but it is their job to help and if you give them a chance they will
    Yeah i guess its hit or miss. FYI i haven't had any issues with my phone/service in years (Last time i had to call cs, i was on a treo 700wx)

well it appears to be hit and miss on pres hardware wise as well im going to pick pre #4 tomorrow #3 went and seperated on the left side
    the battery life leaves something to be desired, that is for sure. As far as Sprint goes, I have never been happier with any company. I've always had good customer service, and the rates are the best anywhere. I have great signal everywhere I've been with Sprint, and the only time I have a dropped call is when I'm in my basement. On that note, the coverage and data is so good in general, that my basement is also the only place I use WIFI at all.

If battery life is your main concern, you may want to wait until after this update (though I'm not expecting miracles) and then see how it is. If what you want is a great little device that is open to customization through maker tolerated (if not almost outright supported) patches and apps, then this is for you. For anyone looking for something uniquely their own, the Pre is the way to go.

If you'd like an example of how I use mine, see here: http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ml#post2106604
    Oh, and don't let the title of the thread I linked to fool you, I think the OP had a little trouble making their point...
    Last edited by igobytony; 12/28/2009 at 11:51 AM. Reason: clarification
    Don't listen to the trolls, the pre is a good phone. I am using the Mugen 1400 battery now and am much happier with the battery life Remember, you have 30 days to try the phone and if you have in reservations, return it and try something else Good luck!

Still on my 1st pre, like many people.
    Last edited by netwrkr9; 12/28/2009 at 11:56 AM. Reason: adding a line.
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    I would pick the pre. The droid and the Iphone are good phones, but I think Webos just beats them both, even in its' young stage. If you have some patience, the Pre will pay off. Plus, the app catalog over the past few weeks has started getting some actually half way decent apps and they are expecting to really break into the market in 2010. Don't forget, it took Android about about a year to get itself into the market, Webos is still a year behind.
    what do you mean noone on here apears to be trolling they are just honest afterall the pre is hardly sunshine and rainbows
    Global Posts
    453 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by netwrkr9 View Post
    Don't listen to the trolls, the pre is a good phone. I am using the Mugen 1400 battery now and am much happier with the battery life Remember, you have 30 days to try the phone and if you have in reservations, return it and try something else Good luck!
    Not fair to call people trolls who've had a bad experience with their Pre's. We don't call people pushing third party batteries "3rd party shills" now, do we?

The problem with the 30 days, is that often the problems arise AFTER 30 days. Which is why it's generally a good idea to read forums, like the OP is doing, BEFORE buying the product. Let us idiots be has product advisors, instead of fighting with a company about a product he may end up disliking. Or liking, as the case may be.
    Mainly I wanted to know how the Pre is treating you guys as far as battery life? I would be texting on the phone frequently (50+ texts a day), making several short phone calls, and some internet browsing, how would the Pre hold up to this type of use?
    my husband and I text constantly all day (6:30am - 3:30pm) and I text my sister several times a day; I browser the internet or play on facebook plus a few calls (1-2 a day max) and my battery lasts from when I unplug it from charging (around 6:00am) until at least 8:00pm if not longer. I bought a 2nd battery (because I liked that feature with my Instinct) and keep a full charged one with me at all times for the just in case (and yes just in case has happened once or twice). I also bought a car charger although I've never had to use it.
    Global Posts
    977 Global Posts
    I will tell you what I did, in a similar situation.

I have been a Sprint customer for over 10 years. Most of those years were with simple cell phones. Then about 3 years ago, I ventured into the smart phone arena. I first got a Sprint PPC-6700 (I think that was the name). It was a Microsoft based phone and was horrible. I think subsequent MS versions have been better, but this was so bad I won't ever go back.

I went from there to the Palm 755P then Centro. Both of these phones were great! Solid build quality for me and all the applications I needed.

Then the new generation smart phones started surfacing, the iPhone 3GS was finally something I might consider, the better (not sure GOOD) touch screen Blackberry, the various Android based phones, and the Pre and perhaps others I have failed to mention.

My family all have phones, all 5 of us. I knew to use any of the better new gen phones with Sprint I would have to change from my very nice and cheap Fair and Flexible plan to the family data plan of some sort. The advent of the "Any mobile any time" part of the family data plan made the change more palatable. I could reduce my plan minutes from 2200 a month to 1500 a month and keep the increase to only $40 or so a month. So I decided I would make the switch in plans whenever I made the switch to a new gen phone.

I looked at all the phones at Sprint and other carriers and decided that the FUTURE of webOS is where I wanted to be, that I wanted to be there as webOS was developed. I kinda like being involved in that kind of process. And I also believed that what webOS and Pre had to offer NOW was already great and good enough to hop on board.

BUT, with all the development going on in the next gen smart phone arena, I was not ready to commit 5 lines with Sprint or anyone else for 2 years. I wanted to play the field so to speak if necessary, to be a free agent, until I was sure what platform would be the front runner in this industry, at least for me (there might not ever be a true front runner, who knows). So, I searched and carefully bought a 3rd party Pre. I found that if you wait patiently, you can get a perfect condition Pre for $200. Just buy from someone local and meet them at the Sprint store so they can check out the phone and can tell you if the phone is available to register on your number.

Some things to keep in mind if you get a 3rd party Pre:

1. The phone has to be completely turned off from the previous owners account before you can tell if the phone is available for your account. Sprint does not actually red flag a phone for back money owed until this happens.

2. Know the ## codes to look into the TRUE history of a phone. Most people selling a Pre won't know about this forum and may think they can tell you the phone is new when it is not. Just be ready to look and see if it is a referb, or how old the phone is, etc. I think you can find those codes in here.

3. Referb is just fine, I bought a referb, though with my great relationship with Sprint, because something else happened eventually (the port broke), they gave me a new phone, non-referb, right from the store. I had insurance of course which made the difference.

4. Your existing insurance will continue over to your Pre, this is important. I am not sure you could insure a third party Pre without being able to move insurance from one phone to the Pre.

5. Sprint likes you a lot more (treats you better) I think if you do not have a contract, this is a nice perk, though not any reason for me to do this.

So, I am playing the field, but I can tell you, in spite of what you have red in this thread that's bad, I love this phone. I doubt very seriously that I will do anything other than keep moving with webOS to better versions of the Pre as long as they make them.

But the great thing is, I still have options, I can do whatever I want without any obligation to any company, for now. Sprint may give me a reason to lock myself in with Pre 2, or some next gen Pre, but that remains to be seen.

Hope this helps.
    Global Posts
    5 Global Posts
    It sounds like some people have amazing battery life and others are just so-so. I feel that the only way to find out if the phone is right for me is to try it. Although I think I'm going to wait for CES as its around the corner, if any updates come out about a successor to the Pre I'll be in a good spot. I'm really not considering the iPhone, Droid, Nexus One, etc. AT&T and Verizon are way too expensive and I feel that Android has a long way to go as far as stability. My Hero was a headache and the fact that I had to kill tasks every so often to even get some battery life out of it was horrible, so I'm completely scratching off Android until I hear of improvement. Plus, both those phones are touch screen only, no keyboard, which really doesn't attract me. I tried that with the Hero and I realized quickly how much I needed a keyboard.

As I said my main concern is battery life and it seems that most people actually do get decent battery life. I'm going to hold off for a little while more as I know the Blackberry Tour2 is around the corner and although I really want a phone with a good browser, my next phone is ultimately going to be between the Tour2 and the Pre (or the Pre successor if they announce it at CES).
    It sounds like some people have amazing battery life and others are just so-so. I feel that the only way to find out if the phone is right for me is to try it. Although I think I'm going to wait for CES as its around the corner, if any updates come out about a successor to the Pre I'll be in a good spot. I'm really not considering the iPhone, Droid, Nexus One, etc. AT&T and Verizon are way too expensive and I feel that Android has a long way to go as far as stability. My Hero was a headache and the fact that I had to kill tasks every so often to even get some battery life out of it was horrible, so I'm completely scratching off Android until I hear of improvement. Plus, both those phones are touch screen only, no keyboard, which really doesn't attract me. I tried that with the Hero and I realized quickly how much I needed a keyboard.

As I said my main concern is battery life and it seems that most people actually do get decent battery life. I'm going to hold off for a little while more as I know the Blackberry Tour2 is around the corner and although I really want a phone with a good browser, my next phone is ultimately going to be between the Tour2 and the Pre (or the Pre successor if they announce it at CES).

Interesting thoughts, if you have moderate to large hands the pre will be a work in progress. The Pre Os is nothing short of awesome compared to the Icry or the Droids. The battery life for me was pretty good about 18hrs before i would start conserving. You will take issue with the build quality of the phone. And that will probably be the factor which drives you away. If you have the patience to baby the phone, it will be no probs. If not you will be on your 5th or 6th phone within a year.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast