Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 26
  1.    #1  
    Does anybody know if Smartflex 600 will work with the new patch? I ran webos doctor so i can install the new patch fresh. But smartflex has been working superv for me.
  2. #2  
    as far as i know 600 was pulled due to stability issues feel free to correct me if im wrong but i can recommend 550 more stable with noticeable speed
  3.    #3  
    lol i have been running smartflex 600 for a month and have not had a crash or lock up once. I only had one lock up and that was after i turned off the gameboy/nes emulator and that software is still buggy. The thing is superfast.
  4. #4  
    I was going to ask this same question. I have been running the sr600 and sometimes the sr550 but I have removed them for the update. I might just try putting one of them back on right after and see how it goes, but if anyone knows whether they'll work ahead of time that would be the better route
  5. #5  
    600 froze my pre almost hourly but thats luck of the draw
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by 063_xobx View Post
    as far as i know 600 was pulled due to stability issues feel free to correct me if im wrong but i can recommend 550 more stable with noticeable speed
    You're correct, the 600mhz patch was reviled to damage the CPU resulting in a much shorter life-span, if not having immediate problems. You can expect less than 6 months of good use out of a 600mhz over-clocked Pre.

    Otherwise, beyond the reminder that you should uninstall all patches before an update, the 600mhz shouldn't conflict if you reinstall it after the update, there's really no more damage that could be done to the Pre if you're going around with this patch anyway.
  7. #7  
    The SmartReflex patch(es) do some very basic stuff. I'd be surprised if Palm changed enough to disable it. If they do, worst case is the patch will fail to apply.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by alex.dobeck View Post
    You're correct, the 600mhz patch was reviled to damage the CPU resulting in a much shorter life-span, if not having immediate problems. You can expect less than 6 months of good use out of a 600mhz over-clocked Pre.

    Otherwise, beyond the reminder that you should uninstall all patches before an update, the 600mhz shouldn't conflict if you reinstall it after the update, there's really no more damage that could be done to the Pre if you're going around with this patch anyway.
    6 months? that's hard to believe for me. I'm willing to bet that it will last way longer, i mean so if i run it at 500 it will last one year? Doesn't make sense to me. Unless Palm or credible samples surface that this is true i will still use it.
  9. #9  
    tests by the TI have shown that running at 600 reduces the life of the processor but if its worth the speed to you i say go for it
  10. #10  
    palm has shown love for the homebrew community even though they don't 'officially' support them because they have provided much relief with patches and apps while they are working on updates of their own.

    technically they can say patches and any changes to software void warranty but for the glitches they may cause, it outweighs the things it does to make owners happy and more importantly give palm more time and why not let them alone since until now nothing offered could really brick a pre.

    with the overclocking patches... if they become popular and if it does end up with causing shorter lifespans... basically killing the phones... i wonder at what point palm has to draw the line and say they can not support homebrew and start locking their software like iphone does.

    i mean, if you bricked your phone with the overclock... you cant expect palm to give a replacement right? but they wont know if you had it or not once its bricked. so they'll have to lock it down to avoid the possibility?

    just a thought.
  11.    #11  
    Will smartflex 600 interfere with palms patch if i leave it installed? Mind you only smartflex 600 will be installed.
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by 063_xobx View Post
    tests by the TI have shown that running at 600 reduces the life of the processor but if its worth the speed to you i say go for it
    It wasn't with all the chips if im not mistaken. They said that it only showed in some of them. So his phone might work just fine and last quite some time at 600mhz (longer then 6 months) but yours or mine might not. It all depends.
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by Slayix312 View Post
    It wasn't with all the chips if im not mistaken. They said that it only showed in some of them. So his phone might work just fine and last quite some time at 600mhz (longer then 6 months) but yours or mine might not. It all depends.
    Its odd that when i used either SR 600 or SR 500 patches it hung my phone at whim. But I hacked the startup myself to run at 600 without scaling at all and the phone is stable.
    Live free or DIE!
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleCZR View Post
    6 months? that's hard to believe for me. I'm willing to bet that it will last way longer, i mean so if i run it at 500 it will last one year? Doesn't make sense to me. Unless Palm or credible samples surface that this is true i will still use it.
    Well the thing with cpu's and over-clocking beyond the manufacturer's specified clock-speed (usually estimating a life of at least 2 year), is their wear is not proportional by any means, there are some CPUs which have no problem being over-clocked by 5% or more and will last just as long, the one included with the Pre is not one of these, not to mention a 20% increase is just a bit beyond reasonable.

    I mean if it was running at 2Mhz, I'd understand your stance that 100mhz is no big deal...
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleCZR View Post
    Will smartflex 600 interfere with palms patch if i leave it installed? Mind you only smartflex 600 will be installed.
    Imagine if you left SmartReflex 600 installed and then Palm activated CPU Scaling by default - then you would have a bricked Pre.

    It's really best to remove all patches (no exceptions). Hope this helps.
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by alex.dobeck View Post
    Well the thing with cpu's and over-clocking beyond the manufacturer's specified clock-speed (usually estimating a life of at least 2 year), is their wear is not proportional by any means, there are some CPUs which have no problem being over-clocked by 5% or more and will last just as long, the one included with the Pre is not one of these, not to mention a 20% increase is just a bit beyond reasonable.

    I mean if it was running at 2Mhz, I'd understand your stance that 100mhz is no big deal...
    So, since we are not actually "overclocking" your argument is mute. People need to start using the term OVERCLOCK where appropriate. All people have done is run the proc up to its speed as per the specs.

    Now in regards to life, i do not believe the 600 patch will kill anything or shorten the life span to that short of a time. But only time will tell. However, please preface any such comments with "Rumor is...." so people do not start spouting this as fact.

    <steps off soap box>

    thank you for your time.
  17. #17  
    true... the pre is 'underclocked' at 500mhz.

    but playing with clock speed (above current spec but below cpu rated spec) 'can' still have it's issues... one which is a very real possibility of bricking your phone over patches that mess more with the software that can be corrected by restoring it back to factory.

    Quote Originally Posted by scoobdude View Post
    So, since we are not actually "overclocking" your argument is mute. People need to start using the term OVERCLOCK where appropriate. All people have done is run the proc up to its speed as per the specs.

    Now in regards to life, i do not believe the 600 patch will kill anything or shorten the life span to that short of a time. But only time will tell. However, please preface any such comments with "Rumor is...." so people do not start spouting this as fact.

    <steps off soap box>

    thank you for your time.
  18. bonfilio's Avatar
    Posts
    82 Posts
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    #18  
    Wrong, it's over-clocking plain and simple. The chip is shipped (in the Pre) at 500mhz. Even if the chip is capable of 600mhz, doing so is running outside of the bounds of what the chip is rated for inside the design of the Pre. My Q9550 quad core is easily capable of 3.1+ghz, but 2.83ghz is it's rated speed.

    When you see Palm reclock up to 600mhz, only then is it no longer considered over-clocking. I have no doubt that the OMAP 3430 is designed to run as much as 600mhz. The issue though is while the CPU might be capable, the rest of the fab (from heat dissipation to memory/bus speed) also has to be capable.

    Also.. I love how the 6month rumor keeps popping up - people latch on to an idea and really run w/ it w/o really understanding how how that idea works.

    You will not lose 6months of overall phone life, or drop your phone's life to 6 months by running at 600mhz. The extra cpu cycles will however cause significant instability issues as the extra heat generated will be outside the designed heat dissipation tolerances. Logical problems such as translation/instructions/addressing will be affected, not physical problems like melting mosfets or gates or transistors/what have you.
    Last edited by bonfilio; 12/28/2009 at 05:12 PM. Reason: cleaned up
  19. diomark's Avatar
    Posts
    752 Posts
    Global Posts
    770 Global Posts
    #19  
    My pre's unstable with even a 500mhz smartflex patch
    -mark
  20. #20  
    Technically we don't know if we are overclocking unless if someone can come up with something from TI that states they recommend the cpu be run at 500mhz in the palm pre. Otherwise the manufacturers recommendation is up to 600mhz, and we aren't overclocking since the definition of overclocking is going beyond the speed recommended by the MANUFACTURER. This has all been argued before in the threads that were created when these patches hit preware. so really i'm just kicking the dead horse for atleast the thousanth time.

    What I do know is that the 2 other phones that use this same chip use it at 550mhz. So even though the sr600 worked fine for me, I use the sr550 because other phone makers thought it a good speed.

    and from the beginning people have been talking about the 6month "law" but I don't think anyone has yet to find the actually study, I looked and couldnt find anything about it.

    All of that being said the OP was about compatability with 1.3.5

    So if anyone who was involved in developing these patches knows of any issues with 1.3.5, it would be nice to get them into the open
    Last edited by KJBlauw; 12/28/2009 at 05:40 PM. Reason: relevance to OP
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions