Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1.    #1  
    Ok so this wont be your regular I hate the pre thread, seeing as how I hate those type of threads. I end up no longer keeping my pre not because the pre itself but because of sprint.( Well I guess u can say it was somewhat the pre's build quality but anyways)

    If you look into my history there is a thread titled "video locking while playing and phone reset" where I just had noticed my phone began to crack. I hadent noticed because I have a case on my phone, so it was hard to see but I decided to see what everyone was talking about. So I removed the case and there it was the infamous crack coming from the charging port. I then looked at my girl's and it had appeared on her phone too and her's extended all the way to the screen. So last week I called Sprint's customer service to let them know my phone began to start cracking. Of corse they tell me I have to go to a store, have them verify and I should be able to get another. Now being aware that this phone is not the best in build quality I really didnt mind seeing as how it seemed so easy for everyone to get another phone... I mean I see the posts from reading all the people that complain about this phone and they say they go through 3-5 phones easily unless its exaggerated.

    So i go to sprint and show them that my phone and her phone are cracking in the exact same place... THEY TELL ME THAT THIS IS NOT A KNOWN ISSUE AND THEY WILL NOT SEND OUT A REPLACEMENT! I'm still calm at this point but tell them... Even if I did drop the phone which I didnt, what are the chances me and her phone would crack in the exact same spot?? That doesnt seem odd to you?? They tell me that they wouldnt replace it... WOW!! So I call customer service because im thinking since they told me I just had to have the store verify Id have the store notate the account and then just call customer service... So they notate both accounts and then I call again... THEY TELL ME ONCE AGAIN IT IS NOT A KNOWN ISSUE AND THEY NEED TO TRANSFER ME TO ASURION. By this time Im beginning to get frustrated. So I talk to asurion and a honest rep tells me "YES I HAVE RECEIVED AN EMAIL ABOUT THIS BEING A KNOWN ISSUE SO I DONT WANT TO CHARGE YOU A DEDUCTIBLE WHEN ITS NOT YOUR FAULT". At this point I try to get him to stay on the phone and educate a sprint rep because it seems as if someone is forgetting to tell the Sprint reps that I talk to. Of corse he cant stay on the line and sprint refuses to do anything.

    Sadly at this point I have to get rid of my pre.. I mean of corse it is somewhat palms fault but I had no problems really with my phone other then that.. I cant believe ive been a customer with sprint for years and referred my girl to them and they treated me like that. So I end up porting out my number and going with Android.. (Makes me miss my notifications on the pre and beautiful UI ... ) Ill still be here with u guys from time to time to keep up on the updates because I hope that palm gives u guys what ur asking for and my girl has a pre... Hopefully I can come back as a palm customer once they get off of sprint.

    So my question to you guys is:

    How did you get sprint to replace yours??
  2. #2  
    there are a few keywords to getting a replacement ie overheating , discoloration on screen, touchscreen failure and the like unless a rep hears you say one of them they wont let you replace
  3. piaband's Avatar
    Posts
    275 Posts
    Global Posts
    570 Global Posts
    #3  
    I agree. This is completely rediculous and frustrating. My Pre blew its speaker, and Sprint replaced mine free (no hassle either). I just walked in, told them the issue, they told me they would need an hour to diagnose. I came back an hour later and they had put in the order for a replacement. Came back 2 days later and swapped phone. I didnt have insurance on it either.

    If I was you, I would first go to a different Sprint store. Your results will vary GREATLY store by store.

    If that doesnt work, contact Palm directly. I can almost guarantee they will replace it for you. The only bad thing about this is they will charge you a deposit fee until you send your old unit back. But it is still free.

    Good luck
  4. #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by piaband View Post
    I agree. This is completely rediculous and frustrating. My Pre blew its speaker, and Sprint replaced mine free (no hassle either). I just walked in, told them the issue, they told me they would need an hour to diagnose. I came back an hour later and they had put in the order for a replacement. Came back 2 days later and swapped phone. I didnt have insurance on it either.

    If I was you, I would first go to a different Sprint store. Your results will vary GREATLY store by store.

    If that doesnt work, contact Palm directly. I can almost guarantee they will replace it for you. The only bad thing about this is they will charge you a deposit fee until you send your old unit back. But it is still free.

    Good luck
    No its not a fee in the traditional sense they just put $400 on hold on your credit card so that if your trying to scam the get their money
  5. #5  
    I always use the same excuse to replace my pre. It re-starts it self through out the day. Simple and easy ........I have replaced it 5x. Crack by the usb...speaker issue....etc...all defects.
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Boggs3010 View Post
    I always use the same excuse to replace my pre. It re-starts it self through out the day. Simple and easy ........I have replaced it 5x. Crack by the usb...speaker issue....etc...all defects.
    I personally use the overheating going for pre #4 tomorrow
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Boggs3010 View Post
    I always use the same excuse to replace my pre. It re-starts it self through out the day. Simple and easy ........I have replaced it 5x. Crack by the usb...speaker issue....etc...all defects.
    Some hella funny stuff, but sad that its true on what a Pre user has to go through.

    This is my 4th pre now, a refurb, and working great.
  8. as4life's Avatar
    Posts
    577 Posts
    Global Posts
    733 Global Posts
    #8  
    Crazy when i read about all the defects. I'm still on my pre from launch and still working great
    My first theme - Mac OSX Theme Gallery or Pre Themer

    Learn how to run your pre at 800mhz Here!
  9. dansparrow's Avatar
    Posts
    7 Posts
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    #9  
    i cant post links because there are pointless rules about sharing valuable information on this site that prohibit me from giving you a direct URL soo check out:
    forums.palm.com
    search for "palm pre cracked screen"
    There is a thread with llike 30+ pages

    this happens to hundreds of people on the palm forum...beat, but read my below post. Follow the directions. I don't know why you have to call this random *** number to get some justification, but it works.


    407 531 4496 dont answer the options, just stay on the line. Be persistent that youre not paying for manufacturers defects. I am on my 4th pre and have never paid for any swaps for these issues through this number. They have even waived the 29.95 "repair fee" on top of waiving the 200 or 100 they will originally tell you it will cost to get a replacement. I jsut got my 4th pre monday so i know its still legit and replacing phones. Pathetic how they have handled this if you ask me, palm should give us some kind of reimbursement for all of this inconvenience (NOT THE PIXI!!!). 4 phones in 6 months for me, and i know there are some out there who have been through more than that.
  10. #10  
    My power button caved in after 5 months of use and no dropping. No idea how it happened. I pushed it to check the time once, put it back in my pocket. Next time I pulled it out, I basically had no power button.

    I went to Sprint and within 5 minutes I was back in my car with a new phone.
    Palm Pre | WebOS 1.4.1.1 | Sprint
    My CarDomain - 5/30/09
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by 063_xobx View Post
    there are a few keywords to getting a replacement ie overheating , discoloration on screen, touchscreen failure and the like unless a rep hears you say one of them they wont let you replace
    Yeah its horrible to hear that.. Seeing as how I see a million threads on here about how the phone gets cracks in it... They said that the screen cracking is a known issue but it starting at the charger port is not... WOW SPRINT!! My phone had a case and everything and its never even seen the ground...Its just funny because I had two examples with me.

    Its just with the build quality of the pre it makes me nervous knowing that sprint doesnt want to replace it when its not our fault... I keep my phones in like new condition because when something new and more interesting comes along I normally sell my phone.. Obviously u wont get much for a beat up phone so I baby my phones... Its kind of rediculous
  12. #12  
    tell them the cracks seem to be heat related and that youve noticed your pre runs hotter lately
  13.    #13  
    Its just stupid that we have to lie in order for sprint to replace the phones... I definately would have stayed but since T-mobile seems to be number one in customer service and they have the hd2 coming in a month or 2 I may just stay with them... Sprint really blew it... Im just worried about t-mobiles coverage but I guess ill see..
    Last edited by youngzayiles; 12/28/2009 at 12:36 PM.
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by IlyaK View Post
    My power button caved in after 5 months of use and no dropping. No idea how it happened. I pushed it to check the time once, put it back in my pocket. Next time I pulled it out, I basically had no power button.

    I went to Sprint and within 5 minutes I was back in my car with a new phone.
    This same thing happend to me the other day. The power button worked for a while in the morning, then on the next press, it didn't. No dropping. Still on Pre # 1 since June - this is the first problem I've had. I'm getting ready to go visit the Sprint store. Must be due to overheating .
  15. #15  
    id find another store to take it to. I had mine replaced in less than 5 mins when that happened.
    "When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"


    PM me your questions, If I cant find an answer, I'll show you who can.

Posting Permissions