1.    #1  
    Beginning Jan 1 drivers can no longer be on the cell phone while driving in Oregon. You will be able to use a handsfree device however. Does anyone know if Palm will make the Pre voice activated? How dumb that they ever released this "mobile" phone with out this very important feature. I can use my bluetooth devise on the Pre, but still have to dial. Come on Palm, this is old technology!
    Let me save everyone the effort with a bit of boilerplate:

You should've done your research and not bought the phone knowing it didn't have this feature. If you don't like it, then download the SDK and develop your own...oh, wait. You can't do that because there's no API available.

Well, stop whining and go get an iPhone. There. That should about cover the range of typical responses.
    Or, you could get on a forum and moan about how "dumb" Palm was for not giving you this, then certain users might be impressed with YAPR (Yet Another Palm Rant).
    Nice dunbass responses, this is a forum he can vent. You can choose not to read this point if it doesn't meet YOUR standards.

Now to respond. I agree Palm over looked and just plain forgot to add a lot of features that should have been there from day one. Myself was shocked to learn the phone could not forward a text. Some of the missing features caught me off guard.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boggs3010 View Post
    Nice dunbass responses, this is a forum he can vent. You can choose not to read this point if it doesn't meet YOUR standards.
    Sarcasm detector on the fritz, or am I misreading what a "dunbass" response is?
    Quote Originally Posted by tim9022 View Post
    Beginning Jan 1 drivers can no longer be on the cell phone while driving in Oregon. You will be able to use a handsfree device however. Does anyone know if Palm will make the Pre voice activated? How dumb that they ever released this "mobile" phone with out this very important feature. I can use my bluetooth devise on the Pre, but still have to dial. Come on Palm, this is old technology!
    You may want to check the fine print on what "handsfree" means. In most states you are allowed to dial a phone number, but just can't hold the phone while talking. (I'm not saying this is a great idea or safe, just legal in most states).

I also thought that not having voice dialing would be a huge issue (my state, CA, requires handsfree). I've found that one of the quick dialers and a simple vent-mount for the Pre (along with a regular bluetooth headset) works pretty well. YMMV.
    maybe 1.5?
    it would be nice.
    I was surprised to discover the Palm Pre didn't have the voice activation feature for making calls. My former Moto-Q phone had it with Windows Mobile 5, so I just assumed the more advanced Palm Pre would. Not a deal breaker for me.

I imagine Palm will be adding this feature in a future update at some point.
    cohoman

Palm Apps:

jVault and jChecklist
    how hard can it be to create a patch/ app to have voice dial?
    Quote Originally Posted by bluediablito View Post
    how hard can it be to create a patch/ app to have voice dial?
    If it was that easy, I'd think we'd have one by now.
    "Patience, use the force, think." Obi-Wan

Ready to try Preware? Get this first: Preware Homebrew Documentation
    Get a hands-free device that has voice dialing built in. I have one for my car, the Parrot Slimkit Chic or something like that. You can say your contact's name and type (such as "Call Joe Schmoe at work" or "Call Jane Doe at home") and it will dial the number. You can also train it to have a shorter voice tag or a more common one (such as "home", "office", etc.). Ppl say they can't tell I'm on a speakerphone when I use it, so the sound on their end is good. The sound on my end is good (and adjustable), too.
    NY has had that ban for years. Unfortunately the Pre doesn't allow access to the Mic for the feature you are requesting. There is another forum post somewhere else about this same issue. If palm does eventually release this code then we will be able to have a lot of new apps that require the mic. Hope this answers your question.