1.    #1  
    I am a relative newbie, although I have rooted my Pre several times for things like installing My Tether. I do not want my Pre to update to 1.3.1 because the Wifi on My Tether won't work unless I apply a patch that disables my camera.

I got this off of another site:
    cd /usr/bin
    mount -o remount,rw /
    chmod -x UpdateDaemon
    mount -o remount,ro /Then, either reboot or execute:

killall UpdateDaemon
    But how do I get to the first command? Through SDK? Step by step please, anyone?
    Updating is optional for the first week or so. Eventually, your phone will be updated against your will. I am not sure that there is a patch or hack that can prevent it from updating. If you want to check, go to webOSinternals and look around there.

BTW, welcome to Precentral!
    Quote Originally Posted by deanajking View Post
    I am a relative newbie, although I have rooted my Pre several times for things like installing My Tether. I do not want my Pre to update to 1.3.1 because the Wifi on My Tether won't work unless I apply a patch that disables my camera.

I got this off of another site:
    cd /usr/bin
    mount -o remount,rw /
    chmod -x UpdateDaemon
    mount -o remount,ro /Then, either reboot or execute:

killall UpdateDaemon
    But how do I get to the first command? Through SDK? Step by step please, anyone?
    Easiest way is to probably download WebOS Quick Install, and enter the commands through the built in Linux Command Line program there.
    Global Posts
    887 Global Posts
    I used Quick Install to install Preware...which is a must-have for the Pre/Pixi anyway. Once you have Preware, you can install the "Terminal" app...which lets you do command-line stuff right from the device.

This is very handy because a) no "rooting" required and b) you're not tied to your home computer (like with Quick Install)
    Quote Originally Posted by Habious View Post
    I used Quick Install to install Preware...which is a must-have for the Pre/Pixi anyway. Once you have Preware, you can install the "Terminal" app...which lets you do command-line stuff right from the device.

This is very handy because a) no "rooting" required and b) you're not tied to your home computer (like with Quick Install)
    Thanks. Worked perfectly (aside from finger cramps).
  6. lco
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    Where is the Linux command line in webosquickinstall?
    ->tools->Linux Commandline
  8. lco
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    I had an old version of webosquickinstall, Thxs now I see it.
    Quick question: does this COMPLETLY kill the ability to update? or just the background services which force the update on the phone?
    (that is, will i still be able to use the update icon on the phone manually?)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by lacan019 View Post
    Quick question: does this COMPLETLY kill the ability to update? or just the background services which force the update on the phone?
    (that is, will i still be able to use the update icon on the phone manually?)
    Thanks
    It will completely disable your ability to update until until you enter the code to re-enable or you doctor your phone. when you try to update all you'll get is the loading screen forever.You can however still update apps as long as the app is compatible with the version of webos you stick to using. I'm still on 1.3.5.1