1.    #1  
    I have done a partial erase, a full erase, turned off back up and then did another full erase.. but after all of these, the effects of the patches are still there. (such as at the top of my main screen it shows the date next to the time) I run the emergency patch recover or whatever it's called and it says there's no patches... through device management on the palmos quick install, when i go to where it shows installed patches, there are none. my main annoyance is wanting to start from scratch as i installed a patch for the SMS tone per contact once (one of the main features i NEED) and then for some reason uninstalled it.. now when i try to install it again, it says there's an error, check the log...

is there ANY way to TRULY reset the pre, like reinstalling windows.. where it's fresh, it's like nothing ever happened, all the programs that got half installed or half uninstalled.. all gone... i need that for the pre!
    Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
    Global Posts
    248 Global Posts
    make sure you delete your palm profile if you want a full erase. It backs some patches up
    Quote Originally Posted by diggedy View Post
    make sure you delete your palm profile if you want a full erase. It backs some patches up
    It doesn't back up the patches themselves, but the aftereffects of some patches. For example, if you use the add/remove pages from launcher hack, and then add another page to your launcher, after a full erase, you won't have the add/remove pages in the menu. However, you will have the same number of launcher pages as your backup.

But yeah, the solution is to erase your backup. You don't lose apps doing this either.
    sms tone per contact was included in palms last update...maybe thats why ur gettin that error msg... just guessin
    Quote Originally Posted by Irocdaspot513 View Post
    sms tone per contact was included in palms last update...
    Nope
    Quote Originally Posted by diggedy View Post
    I have the exact same problem with patches (looks like they're not in there but when installed the error message says it can't install, because they're in there). I have run and have used web dr at least 5x. Everything works fine with the last OS. Patches and everything. It's 1.3.5. Is there a way to block the update? I don't have this much time to spend on a phone. I am beginning to feel that moving from a blackberry was a huge mistake.
    I'm going to try the full erase with the profile deletion first. Hope it works!
    Quote Originally Posted by artichoke24 View Post
    I'm going to try the full erase with the profile deletion first. Hope it works!
    How do you erase your profile?
    ^ start the backup app and turn it off - it will prompt you to delete the backup. Or you can just use a new email address and start from scratch.
    Palm III > Palm V > Palm Vx > (Sprint) Kyo 6035 > Handspring Treo 300
    > Handspring Treo 600 Oct.'03 > Palm Treo 700P May'06 > Treo 755P Aug.'07 > Pre(-) June'09 + TouchPad July'11 LONG LIVE webOS!!!
    Preware is being wierd for me. I put Doom and Quake on my Pre. Now I cannot install any patches or even the Emergency Patch Recovery it gives me this Error Installing See IPKG Log?? Any help would be great thanks guys.
    I turned off the backup and did a full erase. All my patches will now download except for about 4. They continue to show error msg when install is attempted. At this point I am satisfied with this fix. Thanks for the advice.
    I found this tread and have the same problem. I did a full erase due to the insane amount of too many cards errors.

I lost Preware in the erase, but some of my patches stayed in place, battery % and on screen keyboard.

My questions...

Should I install Preware again?
    What happens to the current patches after Preware is installed?
    What will happen to the current patches after the next Palm update (with our without Preware)?

For the record since the full erase I have had no problems with my Pre, it has been running great!

Thanks
    Palm profile seems to back up a lot of patch info. I lost my pre, bought another one on craigslist. loaded up my palm profile and behold I had seven launcher pages. I put it in dev mode and added the 'named pages patch' and the names i created before were already there. crazy stuff is goin on!
    Quote Originally Posted by hreilly80 View Post
    I have done a partial erase, a full erase, turned off back up and then did another full erase.. but after all of these, the effects of the patches are still there. (such as at the top of my main screen it shows the date next to the time) I run the emergency patch recover or whatever it's called and it says there's no patches... through device management on the palmos quick install, when i go to where it shows installed patches, there are none. my main annoyance is wanting to start from scratch as i installed a patch for the SMS tone per contact once (one of the main features i NEED) and then for some reason uninstalled it.. now when i try to install it again, it says there's an error, check the log...

is there ANY way to TRULY reset the pre, like reinstalling windows.. where it's fresh, it's like nothing ever happened, all the programs that got half installed or half uninstalled.. all gone... i need that for the pre!
    If webos doctor doesn't do it for you,then nothing else will. I'm just saying. That should bring you back to a clean pre.
    There is a difference between full erase and the WebOsDr.

Run The WebOsDr and log in w/ a different profile/Email and it WILL BE a like new from Palm device.

if you use your same profile/Email and you had extra pages then you will still have the extra pages. Why is this so hard to understand? The patch is the ability to add/delete pages, not the actual pages! The amount of pages are stored in your Palm Profile so if you get a new Pre,erase you Pre, or Dr your Pre and log in to your Palm Profile you WILL have the same number of pages you had before. Just not the ability to add/delete any more!
    Please hit the thanks button if I helped you

If you've enjoyed my patches please feel free to donate towards further development.

Follow the link below.

I imagine the original poster has resolved it or moved on by now, but I got a pre plus recently and had this problem today... my findings:

PATCH ISSUES have nothing to do with your profile, so don't waste your time tinkering with those settings, backup stuff, etc. That would be like having problems with Windows or OS X and then logging out of your pre|central account instead of re-imaging your HDD. Your Palm profile runs on top of, not inside of, WebOS.

A FULL ERASE only edits data that was added after you bought the unit, and afterward Palm says it cannot prevent your applications from being restored, nor delete your account to get around it (they maintain all that stuff on their servers for 20 years). WebOS Doctor is the Palm equivalent of a Windows boot disc, and will re-image your phone and WebOS.

PREWARE does not recognize your existing patches after a full erase because it only keeps track of what that incarnation of it has done. It does not compare your as-is pre to a factory-pre when compiling your list of installed patches; it is more like a recent activity list. The new installation of Preware thinks your old patches are just part of the untampered-with WebOS.

Hopefully this clarifies things for any new users. I found things to be much more manageable once I understood why each separate part behaves the way it does.

SPARKNOTES: WebOS Doctor makes WebOS like new; disabling the backup service and doing a full erase make your files and preferences like new. Sorry for the length.
    @jim that was awesome hahaha
    Global Posts
    716 Global Posts
    The easy solution is to use WebOS Doctor since it PURGES your device clean and puts a clean copy of WebOS on the device. Doing an erase, as others have stated, only clears things like installed apps and possibly the storage space, but not the operating system.

It is like re-installing Windows over the top of itself without clearing out all the data on the drive.