1.    #1  
    Hey everybody. I was getting really annoyed at my pre when trying to visit a website when the banner add seemed to take over. This is when I got thinking...

Most computers have a HOSTS file. This file deals with raedirecting websites. For instance, I could put in yoursite.com mysite.com and wjenever you tried to visit your site, you'd go to mine instead.

Now take that concept replace yoursite.com with many ad websites. And replace mysite.com with 127.0.0.1 and viola, the add won't load anymore. Save time and bandwidth!

Since the pre is linux based, I would assume it has a HOSTS file, but I have no clue.

is something like this possible on the pre? If so, how would I do it? I have the premade HOSTS file too
  2. R_E
    Global Posts
    343 Global Posts
    there is a file called hosts in the /etc folder. it contains this:

"127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain localhost
    127.0.0.1 palm-webos-device"
    From the Terminal:

mount -o remount,rw /
    cd /etc
    mv hosts hosts.old
    wget ***someonewhocares.org/hosts/hosts
    mount -o remount,ro /
    exit

Then restart phone. Works like a charm. Enjoy.

*** you need to add http(etc) where the 3 stars are (and remove the 3 *s). the silly forum software wont let me post the entire link cuz I dont have 10+ posts yet o_O
  4. R_E
    Global Posts
    343 Global Posts
    I tried this and I can confirm it gets rid of at least some ads. Someone who knows how needs to make this into a patch.
    Quote Originally Posted by R_E View Post
    I tried this and I can confirm it gets rid of at least some ads. Someone who knows how needs to make this into a patch.
    Someone already has! Not sure the name of the patch, but get the latest WebOSQI; it's under "tweaks". Works great for me.
    That is, Tools>Tweaks>System Mods>Web Browser Ad Blocker. Someone did exactly what y'all are talking about, modified the hosts file to block ads and made a patch out of it.
    Anyone know if this is available via Preware? That's the only patch tool I use anymore.
    "The service on my iPhone is so bad I'm thinking of calling it my AOL phone." -- Jim Gaffigan

I can't seem to find it in preware, but if you plug in and run WebOSQI, it's really simple.
  9.    #9  
    I thought I was on to something new here! Anyways, I tried it with livinofframan's method and it worked excellently!
    Quote Originally Posted by livinofframen View Post
    From the Terminal:

mount -o remount,rw /
    cd /etc
    mv hosts hosts.old
    wget ***someonewhocares.org/hosts/hosts
    mount -o remount,ro /
    exit

Then restart phone. Works like a charm. Enjoy.

*** you need to add http(etc) where the 3 stars are (and remove the 3 *s). the silly forum software wont let me post the entire link cuz I dont have 10+ posts yet o_O
    How exactly do you do this? How do you get to Terminal to make these changes? I'm a complete newbie when it comes to this stuff
    If God brought you to it He'll bring you thru it!
    isn't there an ad-block patch in QI?
    I wanted to be able to put my own sites into the hosts file.
    If God brought you to it He'll bring you thru it!