1.    #1  
    Hi. i have been trying to download Preware onto my palm pre. i have downloaded java, downloaded webosquickinstall, novacomd, and webosdoctor. when i plug my pre into my computer through the usb cable while i have webosquickinstall up on the screen i click the little blue arrow to the right of the big white box and a alert comes up telling me that i need to plug in my pre and once that has been done press ok. well i re-plug my pre into the computer and press ok. my computer reconizes that the pre is pluged in but the webosquickinstall doesn't. please tell me what to do

p.s.. can people also tell me what the risks are to downloading preware? are there viruses? does it void the warrantee just like jalebrakeing an ipod touch or iphone?
    Is your phone in Developer Mode?
    Blaize, Mistress of Verbosity

Be nice until it's time to not be nice.--Dalton, "Roadhouse"
    It sounds like your phone is not in Developer Mode. I've made that same mistake in the past!!!
  4.    #4  
    yeah i have alredy put it in developer mode
  5.    #5  
    yeahh
    If you can't get WOSQI working, you could download the SDK and install Preware by dropping the ipk on palm-install.bat
    Want to keep up with my exciting new projects? You know where to find me.
  7.    #7  
    how to i download sdk? and whats ipk? does it have any risks? or is it basicly just the same thing as WOSQI just a workaround?
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRealKG View Post
    does it have any risks?
    you are being ignored becasue those who have it consider "risks" as a joke for Preware, patches or homebrew in general. In other words, completely safe. Basically you can not "brick" your Pre like you can an iPhone. The webOSDoctor will completely restore your device to out-of-the-box condition should you do or load somehting on it that locks it up.
  9.    #9  
    oh ok. but can you answer the main question...
    Did you download WebOS Doctor and put it in the same folder as Quick Install?
    Want to keep up with my exciting new projects? You know where to find me.
    Try turning developer mode off and then back on. That worked for me.
    Laissez Faire
    You also need to make sure "novacomd" is actually running on your computer. It took me forever to realize that a lot of instructions imply that step, but don't explicitly state it.

WebOSQuickInstall communicates with the Pre through novacom. So if the Novacom daemon (novacomd) isn't running, it will never see it.
    Quote Originally Posted by EdCates View Post
    You also need to make sure "novacomd" is actually running on your computer. It took me forever to realize that a lot of instructions imply that step, but don't explicitly state it.

WebOSQuickInstall communicates with the Pre through novacom. So if the Novacom daemon (novacomd) isn't running, it will never see it.
    I've found that the easiest way (for me, at least) to resolve this issue is to install Noacom from within WebOS Quick Install.

Run QI, then select File then Options, and click on the bar that says Attempt Novacom (re)installation.
  14.    #14  
    alright =) i got it up and running! i just have one last question....how often are there new very usefull apps being created for preware??
    alright =) i got it up and running! i just have one last question....how often are there new very usefull apps being created for preware??
    daily and it's not necessarily for Preware; Preware just aggregates what's out there from various "repositories".
    So what fixed your problem?
  17.    #17  
    i really don't know,for one, from the beginning i had everything downloaded. it might aswell have been just a glitch. idk? but its working now and i have everything i need and thanks for you guys posting you realy helped out, im not extreemly savy with computers. i know my way around but thats about it lol
    were can i download novacomd?