Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Any news on when we are likely to get paid applications in the UK? I understand they've been around for quite a while in the US.
    hi,

I want classic by motion apps. any one can help?
  3.    #3  
    This thread was neither created to talk about Classic, nor to attack other members. I take it noone has any information on the ETA of paid applications for the GSM networks, then.
    Global Posts
    158 Global Posts
    lol.
    Hi SqyArk - there was a note on Palminfocenter.com recently - one of the contributors there has spoken to Palm who made a statement that they're continuing to work to make paid apps available to other geographies 'geographies' - so good news is that at least Palm have made a recent statement, bad news is no date. It can't be long though. No harm at all in keeping this top of the forum as it's top of most of our lists in the GSM world.
  6.    #6  
    Thanks for the info foxcover, it's good to know it's on Palm's radar. I suspect (hope!) it will come around with the 1.3.5 firmware. I'm just lining up to give Palm more of my money :P
    Quote Originally Posted by SqyArc View Post
    I suspect (hope!) it will come around with the 1.3.5 firmware.
    This is exceedingly unlikely.

I suggest you accept that your phone can't get paid apps yet and likely won't be able to for the near future. Paid apps will be along eventually but, if they were an important selling point for you, I put it to you that an iPhone or Android phone would have been a better purchase.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by tomi666 View Post
    I want people not whining up new threads on the subject. Go find an existing one and talk redundantly there.
    Quote Originally Posted by shootz View Post
    This is exceedingly unlikely.

I suggest you accept that your phone can't get paid apps yet and likely won't be able to for the near future. Paid apps will be along eventually but, if they were an important selling point for you, I put it to you that an iPhone or Android phone would have been a better purchase.
    You're a hostile bunch of people aren't you. I'd like to make three points here.

1) Firstly, if you read my original post, in which I think I quite inoffensively wrote:

"Any news on when we are likely to get paid applications in the UK? I understand they've been around for quite a while in the US."

I was asking if there was any news on the subject. I was not whining about how much I hate Palm or how superior other platforms are or anything similar. Please don't condescend to me as if I'm a screaming toddler begging for a lollypop.

2) Secondly, I am fully aware that an update to the App Catalog outside the US has not been included in the 1.3.5 changelog. Which is precisely the reason I asked if there was any information regarding this. Palm's decision to bring "parity" between the UK and US firmwares led me to believe that the App Stores would be more closely aligned.

3) Thirdly, please don't indulge yourself with the "maybe you should just get an iPhone if the App Store is all you care about" routine. Nothing in this post, and nothing I have ever posted on any forum, suggests that I am dissatisfied with my choice in smartphone, and I have been nothing but encouraging and supportive of Palm.

I don't know what forums are for if not for sharing, and asking for information. Lord knows I've helped enough people out with their queries however simple or complex, and in a manner that is not condescending or insulting. I don't know why you lot find it so hard to do the same.
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    Here here! People need to stop being overly defensive of palm in a seemingly aggressive manner to a simple question, its not as though you are even criticising them!

Although I have no information personally I hope we see something soon, the amount of available apps in the UK is a little embarrassing.
    slowly but surely we're getting there 194 at last count
    however,if ur looking 4 ,1194 apps,i wouldn't hold ones breath!
    You're a hostile bunch of people aren't you.
    Though I don't have an answer for you. There are some very hostile people here at Precentral but most of us are here to help. So don't let the couple of people being hostile deter you from posting on here. I'm sure if the tables were turned and UK had the phone first and we couldn't get programs as quick there would be a lot of complaining going on.
    anyway, the fact of the matter is, the market differentistor for smartphones is apps, as the core and native functionality differs little here in the uk, as non of the truly pre functionality can be shown off. How do you expect a smartphone to shine without apps to maximise the hardware. Ok I get emails when they arrive faster (only on gmail here in the uk, no1 uses yahoo or aol which is another clear lack of uk/eu consideration) than an iphone, but other than that their really neck and neck, so you need apps to make the device truly shine...and here we have like 150 apps, most of which are tip calculators or some bull like that. So yeh in the us its all, ooo stop complaining, but to be honest, in the uk, a more established os may be a better choice if we are to be neglected
    Quote Originally Posted by tomi666 View Post
    <snore>zzzzzzzzzzZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz</snore>
    really if you have nothing constructive to say, why dont you go find something else to occupy yourself with instead of trolling threads.

back on topic I wouldnt hold your breath for paid apps. Palm have had and still have a lot of problems in the eu with the appstore and apps vanishing etc (still no accuweather on my pre )

Odd thing is with my first pre (uk) i had access to around 300 or so apps including paid apps. But on my second one i only have 190 or so, all free apps most of which are pretty bland. Hopefully palm announce something at CES
    Last edited by kel101; 12/30/2009 at 10:15 AM.
    I'd suggest not feeding what seems to be the resident troll, some of us actually have helpful things to say instead of breaking out the flamethrower every time someone asks a question.

On topic, Iagree with the above poster, it'd be logical for Palm to announce something like that at CES, given that the (almost definitely) upcoming 3D games are all likely to be paid apps, and it'd be both awful PRPRPR $work$ $and$ $quite$ $problematic$ $in$ $terms$ $of$ $lack$ $of$ $parity$, $one$ $thing$ $Palm$ $really$ $doesn$'$t$ $need$ $right$ $now$ $is$ $a$ $compatibility$ $fork$.
    webOS Ports' UI Architect & luna-sysmgr guru.
    You're a hostile bunch of people aren't you. I'd like to make three points here.
    I genuinely don't think I was hostile, I'm sorry if I was matter of fact about your wish for a fully functional app store in the near future being unrealistic. Also, apps really are important to a lot of people and are currently lacking on the Pre when compared to some other phones, I was trying to say that if apps are important to you then you should consider switching up. There might even be a reason why the other posts were deleted and mine wasn't.

I think a lot of the 'hostility' you were talking about comes from people creating redundant threads for tiny and easily-answered questions that are quickly solved by reading the other threads or from Google searches. Building a friendly and helpful community to support the phone and the operating system is important, but it can't happen if people aren't going to read what others have already written or educate themselves to some degree. If that doesn't happen then it actually turns people off and makes users and developers (like you and me) visit and contribute to the forums less.

And even if people on the Internet are jerks, being overly defensive doesn't help the problem.
    Global Posts
    393 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 5 sisters View Post
    slowly but surely we're getting there 194 at last count
    Does everyone see different amounts?
    I saw over 190 when others were still complaining about seeing less than 150.
    I currently see 217.
    yeah i saw over 200 apps.....
    and not a single one for msn messenger or skype lol
    [I've been the proud owner of Palm devices since 1997 and this is the first time I've had cause to complain about anything...]

I too want Classic from the MA people (just to have Centro-like desktop Sync - I didn't like the other 3rd party sync tools I tried) and Skype or Microsoft Live messenger. I can't understand why I can't pay the developers of the apps directly and get a local install file... why do we have this bottleneck of the Apps Store which is (lets be completely honest) useless in Europe.
    Last edited by mullengers; 01/03/2010 at 04:22 AM. Reason: added that a I have tried 3rd party sync tools

1) Firstly, if you read my original post, in which I think I quite inoffensively wrote:

"Any news on when we are likely to get paid applications in the UK? I understand they've been around for quite a while in the US."

I was asking if there was any news on the subject. I was not whining about how much I hate Palm or how superior other platforms are or anything similar. Please don't condescend to me as if I'm a screaming toddler begging for a lollypop.

2) Secondly, I am fully aware that an update to the App Catalog outside the US has not been included in the 1.3.5 changelog. Which is precisely the reason I asked if there was any information regarding this. Palm's decision to bring "parity" between the UK and US firmwares led me to believe that the App Stores would be more closely aligned.

3) Thirdly, please don't indulge yourself with the "maybe you should just get an iPhone if the App Store is all you care about" routine. Nothing in this post, and nothing I have ever posted on any forum, suggests that I am dissatisfied with my choice in smartphone, and I have been nothing but encouraging and supportive of Palm.

I don't know what forums are for if not for sharing, and asking for information. Lord knows I've helped enough people out with their queries however simple or complex, and in a manner that is not condescending or insulting. I don't know why you lot find it so hard to do the same.
    pwned
    I'm pretty sure we see full app store features for GSM Pre with 1.3.5. Think they will announce that at CES on january 7.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast