Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    About the issue on payment in Europe I think that is an awful excuse because we could pay by paypal.

I'm ****ed of with the lack of the complete app catalog more because of the ideologic principle than the lack of paid apps itself. It's just because it seems we pay about 720 USD (500€) for a cellphone but we're treated like second class costumers...
    I expected we'd have a proper app catalog in the UK already by now too, but cest la vie.
    I wouldn't expect to hear anything about the *UK* app catalog in the *US* changelog, therefore I'm still holding out hope for it coming with webOS 1.3.5. Fingers crossed!
    I suspect we should hear something related to the availability of paid apps at CES along with a worldwide release of WebOS 1.3.5 which will enable the function.

It doesnt make sense to undertake a major App catalog revamp taking it out of Beta along with enabling Native GPU accelerated apps without sharing that love to us users across the Atlantic.
    It is a bit lame quoting "my own" post - but guess what...

I went to the European Apps Store today - searched for "Classic" have done this a million times before with no luck - AND IT IS THERE!

Installed the trial, got a message about V1 and V2 databases installed, chose V2. Got a message about trial being expired... OK I did trial it on WebOS 1.1.3... fair enough.

So I clicked on "buy it" - entered my credit card details and "lo and behold" (spelling?) it now works. I am now the proud owner of Classic on my GSM 1.3.1 Pre! Yeah!

I have also hotsynced over WLAN, using Palm Desktop 4.14 (and hotsync 6.0.1) - though I had to enter the host PC's IP address by hand on the Pre Classic hotsync app - dns/WINS didn't work.

[I did have to delete my Palm\[username]\Backup directory contents from the Palm desktop as it hung the sync the first time whilst installing something I didn't need.]

I have all my contacts with photos, memos etc on my Pre in Classic.

Wow. Amazed.
    Well done Palm/MA people.

Quote Originally Posted by mullengers View Post
    [I've been the proud owner of Palm devices since 1997 and this is the first time I've had cause to complain about anything...]

I too want Classic from the MA people just to have Centro-like desktop Sync - I didn't like the other 3rd party sync tools I tried) and Skype or Microsoft Live messenger. I can't understand why I can't pay the developers of the apps directly and get a local install file... why do we have this bottleneck of the Apps Store which is (lets be completely honest) useless in Europe.
    Full App Catalog coming to Europe in March 2010:

Palm Developer Network Blog Paid Applications Coming to webOS in Europe
    Quote Originally Posted by rot View Post
    Full App Catalog coming to Europe in March 2010:

Palm Developer Network Blog Paid Applications Coming to webOS in Europe
    that's great news! but it sounds like there might be a branching-off of the app catalog - meaning we might see an American store and an European store on the respective Pres ...?
    its still three months away... hmmm :-(
    Urgh, 3 months?! How hard can it be, i've quit making excuses for palm, this is ridiculous.
    Yes. Ridonkulous. We'll probably only have billsplitters, tipcalculators, and US State atlasses until Winter '10, because we really need that kind of trash
    If Palm neglect releasing 1.3.5 on GSM 'til March, I'm going to be extremely ****ed... Thankfully I have it from fiddling with doctor files, but nonetheless, it's just ridiculous.
    webOS Ports' UI Architect & luna-sysmgr guru.
    Quote Originally Posted by ShiftyAxel View Post
    If Palm neglect releasing 1.3.5 on GSM 'til March, I'm going to be extremely ****ed... Thankfully I have it from fiddling with doctor files, but nonetheless, it's just ridiculous.
    did you just webos doctor it with the american firmware? Or did you do some other tinkering. Abyways please share as I want 1.35..just aslong as your not having any major issues
    Global Posts
    752 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ShiftyAxel View Post
    Maybe March is when webOS 2.0 will be out..
    Quote Originally Posted by kel101 View Post
    did you just webos doctor it with the american firmware? Or did you do some other tinkering. Abyways please share as I want 1.35..just aslong as your not having any major issues
    You replace webos.tar in the gsm 1.3.1 doctor with the webos.tar from the sprint 1.3.5 doctor. Use a zip utility.
    Just use the 1.2.1 webOS doctor then upgrade over the air to 1.3.5. You get a couple of crappy Sprit apps that are useless here but other than that it works fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by frause View Post
    You replace webos.tar in the gsm 1.3.1 doctor with the webos.tar from the sprint 1.3.5 doctor. Use a zip utility.
    could you walk me through that with instructions for a no so clever pre person please
    It's a shame this thread started witha bit of a mess. I have always thought these forums were very well mannered. I guess you experienced a bad egg. Hopefully they'll throw it from the nest.
    Anywho...
    Quote Originally Posted by glorifiedg View Post
    ...in Europe... ...we could pay by paypal.

...the ideologic principle...
    I feel exactly the same as glorified. I buy things from international companies/systems all the time and have no issue. If we were dealing with a small company, then I would be able to vaguely forgive them but for a large, established international company, this lack of open thinking is a poor show.

Still, we have a date now... 2 months away mind you. At least then we can spend $2 on apps for various American sports teams that we've never heard of!
    Quote Originally Posted by scaramanga89 View Post
    Just use the 1.2.1 webOS doctor then upgrade over the air to 1.3.5. You get a couple of crappy Sprit apps that are useless here but other than that it works fine.
    Are you saying that the Sprint WEbOSDoctor "works fine" on a GSM phone. That is surprising.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12