Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    Now that many of us have winter im curious how you find that the Pre is working?

Took mine out skiing today and I noticed that the touch screen barely reacted to my taps. Couldnt answer incoming calls with the 'slide-to-unlock'-gesture but sliding the keyboard out worked fine.

Felt a bit akward sliding it out in the rough weather so it would be nice if the centre button could be set to answer calls. Anyone know if there is a hack for that?

Atleast you can make calls on the Pre by using they keyboard but how does other phones like the iPhone that lacks a physical keyboard cope with cold climate? Do they have have a different screen that works better during cold weather or do they become unusable?
    Treo 180 270 600 650 Centro Pre Pr3 tPad tPad4G
    Did you leave your gloves on?

The only issue I've had was with the Touchstone(I keep it in my car). The sticky part on the back loses it's suction powers in cold weather.
    My only problem is the fact that I have to smoke outside at all times, so I need to have gloves on. Solved it by using my nose as my "finger" on the touch screen. Works great and my fingers stay toasty.

I have noticed, when I am not wearing gloves, that if my finger gets too cold the touch screen will not register it...if I blow on my finger to heat it up the touch screen "sees" it fine.
    Blaize, Mistress of Verbosity

Be nice until it's time to not be nice.--Dalton, "Roadhouse"
    Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by balderson View Post
    Did you leave your gloves on?

The only issue I've had was with the Touchstone(I keep it in my car). The sticky part on the back loses it's suction powers in cold weather.
    No, took the gloves off but the fingertips got cold pretty quickly so the screen stopped reacting to my taps. It was around 12 degrees F.
    Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Blaize View Post
    My only problem is the fact that I have to smoke outside at all times, so I need to have gloves on. Solved it by using my nose as my "finger" on the touch screen. Works great and my fingers stay toasty.

I have noticed, when I am not wearing gloves, that if my finger gets too cold the touch screen will not register it...if I blow on my finger to heat it up the touch screen "sees" it fine.
    I think I will keep my running nose away from the screen so no slide to unlock for my nose, or should i say slime to unlock.

Will try and warm the fingertip the next time.
    mine works fine, but i noticed some serious ghosting after being out in the cold for an hour and a half.
    I have found, after snowboarding or snowmobiling with the pre in my pocket, the power button stops responding...sometimes it even fritzes out like someone is pressing the button a million times. Power options come up, asks me if i want to turn it off, reset or what have you. When it acts like that, i cannot turn it off, it will only reset. Needless to say, i am disappointed with this. I live in a cold wintery place, and i feel i cannot take my phone with me. what is the point in having a cell phone if it has to stay at home?

enough complaining, the pre is a fun little device...i just wish it was built a little better.

ps. There are times the phone fritz's when i am sitting in my nice warm home, minding my own buisness. power button issues? or webOS issues. i don't know, bell people cannot answer my questions. At times I want to chuck the thing into the nearest lake, river, creek or pond....then I remember how much it has cost, and that everything is frozen. tsk tsk.

peace out!
    Quote Originally Posted by Andreas View Post
    I think I will keep my running nose away from the screen so no slide to unlock for my nose, or should i say slime to unlock.

Will try and warm the fingertip the next time.
    Haven't had the slime problem...yet...

Quote Originally Posted by Blaize View Post

Tip of the tongue works too!!
    smiles for your day ~ pixielee
    In a love/hate relationship w/my PalmPre(s) 6/6/09 3/22/10 4/12/10 and 5/5/10 (ops yes I lost one!)

Its Life - Live it, Love it, PLAY in it
    Quote Originally Posted by pixielee View Post
    Tip of the tongue works too!!
    just don't do it after the nose slime! I've found that I'm pretty accurate w my nose. One of the pair or gloves I have (biking gloves w leather palms and fingertips) worked pretty well in the fall. I think the screen mistook the dead cow skin for living people skin? I haven't tried it since it's been regularly below freezing cos they're more fall gloves. I have heard of gloves that are designed to work on cpacative touch screens though. We may want to all look into those so we can still get our Pre fix in the winter!
    Quote Originally Posted by pixielee View Post
    tip of the tongue works too!!
    rotflol

they make gloves for this, but saw this, havent tried it yet though:
    Making A Glove Work With A Touch Screen
    Move to a place where it's not that cold.............LOL!

I haven't had to deal with extreme cold (lives in Tucson coldest it's been has been about 30) so I have no real opinion.......
    Quote Originally Posted by coyoteface View Post
    they make gloves for this, but saw this, havent tried it yet though:
    Making A Glove Work With A Touch Screen
    That's very cool.

What about these:

A Welsh View: Texting Gloves
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    This happened to me as well last week.. Was extremely annoying, especially as in Britain (especially Scotland) it gets pretty damn cold throughout winter... It's only happened one day so far, but I hope it doesn't become a regular thing.
    Global Posts
    631 Global Posts
    I use to have a samsung instinct and it would react to pressure even if I had gloves on. It was pretty useless however considering the gloves were huge and I'd often incorrectly press the right key.

Yes, while skiing the phone is pretty useless.
    i think for the most part, just due to current technology, any touchscreen device is going to be fairly tough to use in the cold. the obvious exception would be using a stylus on a pressure sensitive screen.

but we're all way too cool for a screen like that now!
    Global Posts
    248 Global Posts
    you can get styluses that work with capacitive screens, if your using one in the cold often it might be worth looking into these.

As for me, Ive had no problems as im a big softy so I try and stay warm at all times
    Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    Anyone know how the iPhone handles cold weather, does it have a different screen that is not as sensitive to cold weather or does it suffer as much as the Pre?

Atleast the Pre have some physicals keys so you can answer, make calls and type messages. If the iPhone got similar problems it renders it pretty much useless with its on-screen keyboard?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast