Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Greetings all.
    Here are my observations and experiences as a tech-challenged consumer.
    I know nothing about computers, rooting a phone, or homebrew apps.

Puchased a Pre for $200 on a 3year plan.
    In Canada there are no after market accessories yet so ordered some things from US.

some hard cases, Extended battery and back, total $150 Canadian dollars.

Broke my USB cable..new replacement only available from Bell $50can
    (don't bother giving me th ee-bay option--shipping totaled right back to $50)

SO. Total$ spent so far= $400.

No VK, no quick contact dialer, no ability to use word or excel docs, no voice dialing for bluetooth,

Im thinking i should have gotten the dreaded Iphone.

enlighten me.
    Ok, here you are:

When you bought your phone there wasn't VK, Quick Contact dialer (what's that?), ability to use word or excel docs, voice dialing for bluetooth.

Why did you bought a Pre?
    I mean, the day that it arrives will be welcome, but meanwhile, you don't have right to complain about something that is not announced as available, and not announced as future availability (except docsToGo).
    Quote Originally Posted by Lovesrotties View Post
    Greetings all.

In Canada there are no after market accessories yet so ordered some things from US.

No VK, no quick contact dialer, no ability to use word or excel docs, no voice dialing for bluetooth,

enlighten me.
    you should read my signature
    seriously bad first post
    i think you leaving to the iphone(if you really have a pre)
    would be best
    bye
    first let me suggest that you look into homebrew. you don't need to root to have the phone do what you need. I think it would be great if phones came kind of plain jane and then there were carrier/maker sponsored patch repositories so everyone could customize their phone to the way they want it. kind of like a Jeep (MBs, CJs, YJs, and TJs). After taking about five minutes to install Preware, patching (or tailoring) your phone is as easy as installing an app. That said, I'll try to address the other issues:

The Dataviz site says that they will have Docs to go available to webOS in early 2010, so if you can hold out you will again be able to create, and edit, word and excell as one could on old PalmOS.

IMHO VKBs basically all are terrible. Whether on a Samsung, iPhone, or BB, all the ones I've used I hated. But that's just me, and I understand that I may be in the minority. There is a VKB available via preware that is funtional in most applications (there seems to be an issue with backspace in the web browser). The fact that it is something that can be run on the Pre makes me believe that Palm will introduce that at some time. I'd look into Preware if it is a must have before then.

I believe there is an app or a patch for quick contacts, but i could be mistaken. I haven't looked because I can't imagine anything besides an old fashioned "press and hold the 5 key" being any quicker than universal search for pulling up who I need.

I can't comment on the Bluetooth issue, as I do not use any bluetooth devices, and have always had issues with voice dialing in cars and in watching people who try to use it on their phones/ear pieces.

I guess it really just comes down to how much of a problem these things are for you, versus how well you enjoy the rest of the experience. I have followed the iPhone since it was announced, but was afraid to be an early adopter. After all of it's growing pains and seeing friends who were early adopeters experience it, I'm glad I just held off. The Pre seems to be having similar growing pains. (I am aware of the argument that it should have all been sorted before launch in order to be more competitive). If you enjoy other parts of the experience (as my friends with iPhones seemed to), you may want to look into patching until what you need is officially available.

By nature I tend to focus more on the good than the bad, so I could be fooling myself, but I cannot imagine moving down to any other experience on a device. To each their own though. Evaluate your needs, maybe investigate patches, and if the phone is not right for you at this time, perhaps you should try something else and look into webOS again later.
    Last edited by igobytony; 12/26/2009 at 03:05 PM. Reason: grammatical error
    Global Posts
    367 Global Posts
    Greetings all.

enlighten me.
    Read up on the features available on the phone, and think about your needs before you purchase one.

Seriously.

Im thinking i should have gotten the dreaded Iphone
    I'm thinking you would have spent more money and probably still be complaining ... probably about the lack of multi-tasking and the virtual keyboard

I'm thinking I'm having a blast with my first smartphone, a virtual computer in my pocket, and being able to tweak it in so many ways. Just enjoy all the great things the Pre does have, and appreciate that updates keep coming almost monthly (and most of the things you mention should be in there eventually). Folks who have specific needs should buy based on those needs, but it's hard to feel this is the "bleeding edge" ... I'm not seeing a lot of blood here.
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    Greetings all.
    Bullsh**.

USB Data Sync Charger Cable for Palm Treo Pro 850 pre on eBay.ca (item 270501543696 end time 13-Jan-10 15:54:36 EST)

Ebay

Buy It Now price. USD$1.00, with $2.00 shipping. There are no USB cables on eBay for 50 dollars. You should learn how to use eBay first, rather than complaining about missing features for a phone you failed to research on before purchasing.

Enlighten me
    Quote Originally Posted by abid786 View Post
    Buy It Now price. USD$1.00, with $2.00 shipping. There are no USB cables on eBay for 50 dollars. You should learn how to use eBay first, rather than complaining about missing features for a phone you failed to research on before purchasing.

Enlighten me
    He probably just bought a new charger instead of just the USB cable part.
    I think what he's trying to say is: is there a way for using all those wonderful apps available for the IPhone on the PRE? Aren't they both WebOS? How difficult is it for any individual to do this at home? There are a few apps that I feel I can't live without available on the IPhone that I would love for my PRE! i.e. Siddur, Southwest Airlines, and a few games. Someone please set me straight!
    Move to the US. You would have to pay for your own drugs, but I guarantee you wouldn't have payed as much as you did for your Pre. I think it's the $ amount that erks you most of all,eh. Give it some time, or atleast wait until the next update coming in Jan.
    Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
    Greetings all.

enlighten me.
    Yoda says: You should have, you should have ....

and so should I, agree with all your sentiments.

ps ~ I'm also on Pre #5
    Global Posts
    367 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by metzia View Post
    I think what he's trying to say is: is there a way for using all those wonderful apps available for the IPhone on the PRE? Aren't they both WebOS? How difficult is it for any individual to do this at home? There are a few apps that I feel I can't live without available on the IPhone that I would love for my PRE! i.e. Siddur, Southwest Airlines, and a few games. Someone please set me straight!
    You think the iPhone is WebOS??????????

The iPhone is a varient of OSX, you know, a Mac.

WebOS is a version of Linux. Not at all the same.
    Greetings all.

enlighten me.
    Get the Iphone.
    Quote Originally Posted by metzia View Post
    The answer is no. Because Palm has refused to provide low level language support for the Pre, none of the 100,000 apps written for the iPhone, or the thousands of apps written for Android can be readily ported to the Pre. And few, if any, of the developers of those apps have shown the slightest interest in starting from scratch to develop new apps for the Pre.

(P.S. The iPhone does not run WebOS)
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Quote Originally Posted by LurkerX View Post
    You think the iPhone is WebOS??????????

The iPhone is a varient of OSX, you know, a Mac.

WebOS is a version of Linux. Not at all the same.
    i think you missed what he was meaning to say there.
  17.    #17  
    Umm
    Off onna wrong foot. I didnt mean to insult the impressive pre. Im happy with much of what it DOES do. Just disappointed in what it does not do.
    I didn't research voice activated bluetooth becasue well, every $29.00 phone out there has a parrot app so i naturally assumed the Pre would have it.
    I was told by the sales rep that I could view Excel and word(and I can) but i didnt understand the difference between view(pdf) and use(doc).

Keyboard on screen really isnt an issue for me. I never used one before so not a big deal.

There is a quick dialer program..It looks awesome...It's in the App catalog...IN THE US ONLY.

SO there are a bunch of apps that i would like(for some reason all the performance ones) that i can't get cause im in Canada..That was my main point of "bleeding edge".

In the States you can buy a phone and plan significantly cheaper, have more apps available, and aftermarket accessories galore.

I understand that waiting will solve my disappointment...but like everyone else..I want it now.
    But im not techy enough to use dev mode and add file coaster and download homebrew apps(which look great and should be supported by and provided by palm) and then remove and re-install for every update.

So..I'll wait.
    You can assign a hot key for dialing. When viewing the contact of interest, touch the top left corner and "Set Speed Dial" is one of the options
    I didn't research voice activated bluetooth becasue well, every $29.00 phone out there has a parrot app so i naturally assumed the Pre would have it.
    The droid does not have a voice dial through bluetooth either (DH checked it out). Many smart phones don't have this function from what I'm told. I liked it on my Instinct except it never understood me well. Call Dan Mobile 1 woudl be call Janet Mobile 5 or call Deanna Work 1 before it ever would get to Dan Mobile 1.
    Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    Even if it lacks some function on purchase atleast I expect Palm to step up and improve some of the apps so that it atleast gets to the same level as their previous devices.

I get the impression that you guys who tell him to stop complaining just use your phone as a media device and dont have experience of Palms previous devices? If you do, don't you also miss some of these basic functions and find it strange that Palm yet havent implemented them?

Still love my Pre wont change it for something else but it would probably be a good idea for sales to look back on the Treo's and bring some of its functions to WebOS. Youtube and browsing sure is fun but proper handling of contacts ie able to group them and a better calendar is also useful things that buyers want.
    Treo 180 270 600 650 Centro Pre Pr3 tPad tPad4G
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast