Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I feel sorry for your buying a $50 USB cable. Do a forum search here on PreCentral for "Monoprice USB Cable", and you'll find all about dirt cheep USB cables. Since it's so cheep, you might as well stock up with several cables and add in a USB wall charger to justify the shipment fee (exactly what I did )

As for quick dial, there is always the option to add contacts to the launcher. If you have the patch to add more launcher pages, you can easily have one page full of contacts.

Other features, I'm waiting on Palm and Datavitz for new updates, too.
    To the OP use homebrew. Its simple to use and it makes the pre worthwhile. Did you know there are 800+ themes available in preware that change the look and icons/backgrd etc. For example I had the the spiderman theme and just changed it to mac os.

To the pre ******* who always say go buy an iphone can you tell me the website that has a list of features that are NOT available on the pre. Specifically no virtual keyboard, bluetooth file transfer, unable to change default map to sprint nav, no local desktop solution, no camcorder, no voice memo, a task app that doesn't have time reminders etc etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lovesrotties View Post
    Umm
    Off onna wrong foot. I didnt mean to insult the impressive pre. Im happy with much of what it DOES do. Just disappointed in what it does not do.
    I didn't research voice activated bluetooth becasue well, every $29.00 phone out there has a parrot app so i naturally assumed the Pre would have it.
    I was told by the sales rep that I could view Excel and word(and I can) but i didnt understand the difference between view(pdf) and use(doc).

Keyboard on screen really isnt an issue for me. I never used one before so not a big deal.

There is a quick dialer program..It looks awesome...It's in the App catalog...IN THE US ONLY.

SO there are a bunch of apps that i would like(for some reason all the performance ones) that i can't get cause im in Canada..That was my main point of "bleeding edge".

In the States you can buy a phone and plan significantly cheaper, have more apps available, and aftermarket accessories galore.

I understand that waiting will solve my disappointment...but like everyone else..I want it now.
    But im not techy enough to use dev mode and add file coaster and download homebrew apps(which look great and should be supported by and provided by palm) and then remove and re-install for every update.

So..I'll wait.

I'm not really all that techy either. Homebrew is so simple. If you can download a program from the internet and go through an installation wizard, you can do homebrew. And that's only the first five minutes. After that, it's pretty much all just like using the app catalog. Minus the pay for things part.
    Umm
    Off onna wrong foot. I didnt mean to insult the impressive pre. Im happy with much of what it DOES do. Just disappointed in what it does not do.
    I didn't research voice activated bluetooth becasue well, every $29.00 phone out there has a parrot app so i naturally assumed the Pre would have it.
    Really? Every one of them?? Well, I started to say my Palm Treo 755p didn't have it, but then, that wasn't really a $29.00 phone...

I was told by the sales rep that I could view Excel and word(and I can) but i didnt understand the difference between view(pdf) and use(doc).
    OK, that one has me smiling so much, I can't think of anything to say, except that you've at least started down the track of learning. "Use" may very well include, and even be limited to, "read"; depending on what one's need is. If your only need is to edit, then you can't use Excel and Word. If you need to read and write those documents, then you can still use the Pre, but only for the reading part.

But im not techy enough to use dev mode and add file coaster and download homebrew apps(which look great and should be supported by and provided by palm) and then remove and re-install for every update.

So..I'll wait.
    It's really not that "techy". You just type in a command, reset the phone, and run the app. You may have to install Java on your machine, but even that is not a big deal.
  5. rpr
    Global Posts
    216 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    OK, that one has me smiling so much, I can't think of anything to say, except that you've at least started down the track of learning. "Use" may very well include, and even be limited to, "read"; depending on what one's need is. If your only need is to edit, then you can't use Excel and Word. If you need to read and write those documents, then you can still use the Pre, but only for the reading part.
    You can use Google Apps just fine to create, read and write Word and Excel files on the Pre (disclaimer: I have the iPhone spoof patch installed). Not necessarily the best option, but it is an option.
    Pilot 1000 -> Palm Pro -> Palm III -> Handspring Visor -> Palm V -> Palm TX -> Palm LifeDrive -> Kyocera 6035 -> Kyocera 7135 -> Treo 650 -> Palm Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by rpr View Post
    You can use Google Apps just fine to create, read and write Word and Excel files on the Pre (disclaimer: I have the iPhone spoof patch installed). Not necessarily the best option, but it is an option.
    In the interest of fair disclosure, you can't even use Google Apps on your computer to read and write Word and Excel files. The files that GA saves aren't in Word or Excel format. They're easily converted, but they're not in MS format.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12