Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Well, a few months ago I left AT&T and the iPhone 3G and moved to Sprint/Palm Pre. I absolutely loved the phone, the OS, everything. I had a few issues with the hardware build (Oreo effect, battery door), but other than that I thought the user experience was top notch.

I made the mistake of switching to the HTC Hero. I had the Hero for about three months, and just switched back to the Pre the other day. I have to say, while I liked Android, the overall user experience was lacking. That, and I had gotten used to having a physical keyboard. Once you've used one, even one as tiny as the Pre's, there is no going back.

What brought me back, in the end, was how smooth, polished, and refined the Web OS was compared to either Android 1.5 or the iPhone OS.

Two drawbacks still remain. Battery life is not all that good. Luckily I have two Touchstones, and a slew of extra batteries. That's easy to deal with. Hopefully 1.3.5 addresses the issue somewhat.

The small amount of apps. I know, I can use homebrew and I will. The app catalog is still in beta, as well. To be quite honest, all the apps I really need are in the catalog.

I'm definitely glad to be back. I'm curious to see what the successor to the pre looks like, and when I'm eligible for my upgrade next October, I'll likely pick up whatever that is.
    Welcome back. I know there are people on this forum who are thinking about switching to the Hero (not me, love mhy Pre) who may be interested in a more detailed comparison...the better to make as informed a decision/choice as possible. Even though I am not planning to switch, I, too, would be interested in what you found. Thanks.
    Blaize, Mistress of Verbosity

Be nice until it's time to not be nice.--Dalton, "Roadhouse"
  3.    #3  
    Of course, I meant to post that earlier, but alas, I got a little distracted.

Let me start out by saying, there is nothing wrong with the Hero. In fact, it has several strengths over the Pre. The build quality is excellent. I'll chalk that up to the more sturdy touchscreen, and the fact that it is not a slider. That said, the battery cover has a tendency to slide off from time to time, and the actual buttons below the touch panel can be a bit wobbly (there is a metal plate on the Hero as well that, in my experience, lost contact with the buttons underneath from time to time).

The Sense UI is a good skin on top of Android, but it is just that, a skin. Underneath you are still dealing with Android 1.5. Not that it's a bad thing, but in order to change preferences, you have to go through menu after menu after menu, ad nauseum. Changing/setting preferences is even worse than on the Pre.

Media sync is the same. There only way to do it is manually add files, or use something like Double Twist and Media Monkey. Both use the Amazon MP3 store, and I'd say each implementation is about the same. I think the media player, on photo viewer on the Pre is better. Android's music app is atrocious.

The camera. Don't even get me started on the Hero's camera. Sure, it's 5 megapixels, and sure the last Sprint/HTC Hero patch improved performance, but it is terrible. Autofocus is slow, and the picture quality is terrible. Even though the Pre "only" has a 3.2 megapixel camera, it is better. If you need a better camera, get a digital camera. I took a ton of pics off my Pre at Christmas yesterday, and they came out perfectly.

Multitasking/notifications. The Hero isn't bad, and the Android notification system is decent, but nothing beats Web OS notifications or the card system as far as I'm concerned. Pure and simple, it is just smoother.

Battery life on the hero was a bit better, however after the update I found that I had to plug it in after I got home from work.

The Hero is SLUGGISH. The fact that HTC uses the old qualcomm processor is starting to show, and it's not a good thing. There was often lag in just about every application I used, and forget it if you had a lot of notifications coming in. Don't get me wrong, the Pre is no barn burner, but it uses a much more sophisticated processor, and by and large, is much more responsive.

I would say that Android (not sense) is a bit more customizable than the Web OS. That's not necessarily a good thing though. The OS itself lacks polish, and is very rough around the edges.

One annoying thing, and I know 2.0 fixes this with Android, is that you can only sync to one Google account. I have two that I use, and it was inconvenient on a good to, to only be able to sync to one calendar, one set of contacts. I know the Pre's synergy approach isn't necessarily better, but I prefer being able to sync to as many accounts as I want. I don't like using Outlook, and I have everything synced up to my Google Accounts.

I'm not trying to preach one over the other, but I did end up switching back from the Hero to the Pre for a reason. For me, the Pre is a better phone.

OK, on the apps, the Hero has us. But seriously, how many of you actually take advantage of the fact that there are 12,000 apps in the Android catalog? Most of them are garbage. I use Yelp, Open Table, Fandango, Pandora, Facebook, LinkedIn, the odd soduku app, Tweefree, and the New York Times app. Anything else, I can get to through the web. So the apps argument doesn't hold any water to me. If the 100,000+ apps in the iPhone catalog were so good, then I would have run all of them on my iPhone. The fact as, I used the above apps.

Oh, and another thing. The Google Maps implementation on Web OS is better. Android's is just awful, and doesn't support multi-touch, at least not on the Hero. Another thing to consider.

And remember, you're getting an HTC phone, not a true android phone, with the Hero. It does affect the experience somewhat.

At any rate, I would say to stick with the Pre. It's quirks can be dealt with. Sure, the battery life sucks. Honestly, though, are you ever so far away from a charger? I don't care if I have to plug it in when I'm at work, my **** is glued to my chair. Honestly, too, battery life is horrible on just about every smart phone that can multi-task. It's not Palm's fault, RIM's fault, or Apple's fault. Battery development has lagged behind the pace at which smartphones have grown.

Anyway, it's just my two cents, take it for what it's worth.
    thats good to know, I have often second guessed my decision coming over from htc touch pro, which runs winmo. I got fed up with microsoft's terrible interface and webos was the only real player out there besides iphone.

Since I moved to webos, android has released 2.0 and I have had some second thoughts about moving over to hero. Its good to hear that webos is still holding its own against competitors.
  5.    #5  
    Don't forget, the Hero won't get 2.0 for a while. If you're curious, I would go to a Verizon store and play with the Droid, see if you think 2.0 is any good.

The thing that I can't stand is the lack of a cards interface. I absolutely love it.
    I agree that the Hero is sluggish. I mentioned that in an Android forum and got laughed at. Sometimes the lag is so bad on the Hero that I thought of the Pre as a barn burner in comparison.

I bounce between my Pre and Hero due to the pitiful radio on the Pre dropping my calls. If it wasn't for that I wouldn't have a Hero. Android is nothing special. The Hero is cool due to HTC's addons, which makes it a nice phone. Android is lacking numerous things that the Pre had since inception.

But having 10K+ apps is a major selling point, even tho 90% of them are crap made by script kiddies.

The Hero is getting Android 2.1 early 2010.
    Live free or DIE!
  7.    #7  
    Unfortunately there are fan-boys in every forum. I try to be objective, if I can. The Pre is definitely faster than the Hero. The annoying thing about the Pre is the inconsistency between models. Some have build defects, some don't. Some have different processors, etc. Chalk that up to generation 1 hardware.

And yes, the number of apps is a selling point. To me, it makes no difference whatsoever.
    As a Hero and former Pre owner, I can say that a good bit of what he says is right. The camera is sluggish compared to the Pre. The media sync options are just as lacking, moreso without an iTunes hack. Notifications on Android are not quite as polished as WebOS. And at times, it DOES get sluggish, as any multitasking phone, aside from the iPhone 3GS, does.

However, The Hero has video recording and a REAL photos app. When handing my phone to friends to swipe through a gallery, I don't have to add the caveat that that they have to wait for each picture to process individually before looking at it. And there IS autofocus. The camera speed can be adjusted to. I can't adjust to having no video and a crap photos app.

Media sync is something I do once a month, MAYBE. If you want to use your phone as an iPod, you should get an iPod or iPhone. They're the best tools for the job. Anything else has compromises. But the HTC music app and TuneWiki are both way, way, WAAAAAAAY more functional and useful than the music app on the Pre. I never bothered with Remix because it was too buggy.

Notifications aren't as polished, and sometimes you have to leave apps to swipe down to see them on the Hero. But I get far more useful notifications from knowing that downloads have completed, to Facebook notifications, to weather alerts. On WebOS, it's..."Oh, somebody is chatting me" or "Oh, I got an email." Great in design, not as great practically.

And whatever sluggishness the Hero has occasionally is blown away by the fact that I can ALWAYS open whatever I wan however much I want. No "No More cards" errors whether I have 6, 4, or even NO programs open. No worries about leaving browser windows up to eat memory, because all of the browser windows in Android operate within ONE instance of the program, not 10 separate cards. Again, WebOS' multitasking is beautiful in design, not so beautiful in practicality. Android's is more workmanlike, but also FAR, FAR, FAR more dependable.

An auto-correcting learning keyboard on the Hero should be standard on any phone, whether it has hard or software QWERTY. The Pre could really use that.

And trying to minimize app advantage?....hilarious. Nothing even needs to be said about that.

Finally, it's already been said, but the Pre's "pitiful radio" is just that. It's like using the iPhone on Sprint in terms of data and call quality and reliability. The Hero is so much more functional in each of those two areas. I mean, it's not even close.

But these are all fixable mistakes with Palm. Work out the multittasking/memory bugs. Get new hardware with a much better cell radio. Get video and a real photos app. The apps should come if the SDK is opened up. It's a whole new ballgame then. I'd love to get tickets. It's your move, Palm. All of the other OSes are waiting for you to catch up.
    Trolls, guess every forum has to put up with them.
    Quote Originally Posted by netwrkr9 View Post
    Trolls, guess every forum has to put up with them.
    Yes, I've been at TreoCentral/here for two years and purchased a Centro and Pre ($300+ dollar investment combined) because I want to troll against Palm and the Pre. Get a clue.
  11.    #11  
    To each their own. The whole point of my post was that the Hero wasn't for me. Despite having autocorrect, I found myself hitting the period button every time I went to hit space. That gets annoying.

There are pros and cons to each. For me, I live in Philly, and I get amazing Sprint reception on the Pre or the Hero.
    Didn't mean you (you own a pre), talking about mikah912. Forums are for people who want to learn more about their product and ways to improve and also get help when they run into a problem.
  13.    #13  
    Ah, gotcha.

To be honest, with the Hero's build quality, I would have stuck with it if it were a bit wider/the virtual keyboard worked better. My take, the iPhone's virtual keyboard is by far the best. Just about everyone else needs to stick to a physical keyboard.

That said, I do wish that Palm would offer predictive text at some point. There are lots of tiny little things about Web OS that drive me nuts, even though I prefer it. It is by no means perfect.
    yep I was very intrigued by the moto droid until I got a chance to play with one for an exteded period of time. It is a good and powerful device but the overall user experience is not as good. The UI feels clunky and hard to navigate. Personal pref I'm sure but it certainly confirmed my love for webos.
    Didn't mean you (you own a pre), talking about mikah912. Forums are for people who want to learn more about their product and ways to improve and also get help when they run into a problem.
    And I wanted to stay clear of that, which is why I started this thread. Oh wait...

But I guess as long as I dogpiled on Android like everyone else, I would be solving a problem or helping Pre owners learn, right?
    yeah, no device is, I guess that is why people upgrade every year or two, the technology is so dynamic, always improving. I am not brand loyal, what ever fits my needs best at the time. WebOS is so simple, and the Pre is small and light and has a real keyboard, that's why I like it so much, plus it's different, not an iclone. Vkeyboards and me don't mix to well, I use it when in landscape mode only. I had a BB Storm before the Pre, worst Vkeyboard in the industry.
    hey, GoTitans, nice avi! LOL My Macbook is jealous I think because I mostly only use it now to write papers and blip songs. I even grab my Pre to do twitter and some other things when the MB is right on my lap.
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    As a Hero and former Pre owner, I can say that a good bit of what he says is right. The camera is sluggish compared to the Pre. The media sync options are just as lacking, moreso without an iTunes hack. Notifications on Android are not quite as polished as WebOS. And at times, it DOES get sluggish, as any multitasking phone, aside from the iPhone 3GS, does.

However, The Hero has video recording and a REAL photos app. When handing my phone to friends to swipe through a gallery, I don't have to add the caveat that that they have to wait for each picture to process individually before looking at it. And there IS autofocus. The camera speed can be adjusted to. I can't adjust to having no video and a crap photos app.

Media sync is something I do once a month, MAYBE. If you want to use your phone as an iPod, you should get an iPod or iPhone. They're the best tools for the job. Anything else has compromises. But the HTC music app and TuneWiki are both way, way, WAAAAAAAY more functional and useful than the music app on the Pre. I never bothered with Remix because it was too buggy.

Notifications aren't as polished, and sometimes you have to leave apps to swipe down to see them on the Hero. But I get far more useful notifications from knowing that downloads have completed, to Facebook notifications, to weather alerts. On WebOS, it's..."Oh, somebody is chatting me" or "Oh, I got an email." Great in design, not as great practically.

And whatever sluggishness the Hero has occasionally is blown away by the fact that I can ALWAYS open whatever I wan however much I want. No "No More cards" errors whether I have 6, 4, or even NO programs open. No worries about leaving browser windows up to eat memory, because all of the browser windows in Android operate within ONE instance of the program, not 10 separate cards. Again, WebOS' multitasking is beautiful in design, not so beautiful in practicality. Android's is more workmanlike, but also FAR, FAR, FAR more dependable.

An auto-correcting learning keyboard on the Hero should be standard on any phone, whether it has hard or software QWERTY. The Pre could really use that.

And trying to minimize app advantage?....hilarious. Nothing even needs to be said about that.

Finally, it's already been said, but the Pre's "pitiful radio" is just that. It's like using the iPhone on Sprint in terms of data and call quality and reliability. The Hero is so much more functional in each of those two areas. I mean, it's not even close.

But these are all fixable mistakes with Palm. Work out the multittasking/memory bugs. Get new hardware with a much better cell radio. Get video and a real photos app. The apps should come if the SDK is opened up. It's a whole new ballgame then. I'd love to get tickets. It's your move, Palm. All of the other OSes are waiting for you to catch up.
    I agree with you on several things. I recently switched from the Pre to the Hero because I was tired and frustrated with the memory leak issues that 1.3.1 created.

I still don't get how some Pre owners can say the Hero is sluggish and not say the Pre is....Oh by the way, I still own my Pre.
    Appreciate your post - as each day goes by I am becoming more appreciative of the Pre. It has a great OS and the response is the best also (at least in my opinion).
    ...Forums are for people who want to learn more about their product and ways to improve and also get help when they run into a problem.
    For your own protection, do not read any of the front page articles and editorials on precentral, especially pieces by Kessler. There is s strong chance they will brazenly violatate the very rules you have set for this site. Oh and you should definitely steer clear of the round robin articles too.

DISCLAIMER

IF READING CRITICAL POSTS ABOUT PALM AND/OR WEBOS WHICH ARE, BY ANY MEASURE, LESS THAN LAUDATORY THUS CONSTITUTING AN OFFENSE TO THE READER AKIN TO AN INSULT TO HIS WIFE OR MOTHER, PLEASE PUT EEKINSMAN ON IGNORE AND UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES OR LEGAL THEORY SHALL EEKINSMAN, HIS FAMILY, EMPLOYEES, AGENTS, LICENSEES, OR ASSIGNS, EITHER JOINTLY OR SEVERALY, BE LIABLE TO YOU OR ANY OTHER PERSON FOR ANY INDIRECT, SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL, EXEMPLARY, PUNITIVE, CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OR OTHER LOSS OF ANY KIND, RELATING TO YOUR FRAGILE, UNUSUAL, UNHEALTHY AND ODD PREDILECTION TO PROTECT PALM AND/OR WEBOS FROM NEGATIVE POSTS.

TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY PRECENTRAL, THE WORDS AND CONTENT OF THIS POST, INCLUDING THOSE IN THIS DISCLAIMER, ARE NOT INTENDED TO BE A RANT AGAINST PALM AND/OR WEBOS AND DO NOT REFLECT THE POSTER’S HATRED FOR PALM.

THE POSTER HEREBY DISCLAIMS AND DISAVOWS AND DOES NOT ENDORSE OR SPONSOR OR AGREE WITH SENSELESS THREADS AND POSTS INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, “‘I’M LEAVING FOR THE DROID’ ‘PALM SUCKS’ APPLE RULES’ THE PRE IS THE WORST PHONE EVER’ AND ALL OTHER OF SIMILAR ILK WHICH BY THEIR NATURE TREAT THE PALM PRE AS ANYTHING BUT PRECIOUS.
    Last edited by eekinsman; 12/26/2009 at 08:55 PM.
    PalmOS Treos: 90/300/600/650/700/755/launch day Pre minus/ Evo/Epic
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast