Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    So my only laptop took a crap and I was forced to use my pre as computer and browser. Here is my observations:

1. Lack of virtual keyboard in landscape gets old fast, having to keep swithing the thing around to type is very ackward. I think palm needs to address this to keep up with the competition.

I quess they are aware of this because they made an update to make text fields zoom in when selected. This helps somewhat but it did not seem to always work and one has to tap the field to make it zoom. This leads me to problem 2.

2. I don't know if there is a way to simulate the tab button on a pc but it is a pain to have to move from one text field to the next trying to make an order for new laptop. If anyone knows how to do this easily please let me know.

My Question: Can Palm Pre compete without a landscape keyboard?

I recall a video when palm first announced the rep was asked about virtual keyboard and the response was no virtual keyboard but there is no reason developers can't create one and also they said something about the keys having to be a minimum size to be useful.

Well it seems there is a reason developers can't create one, god knows how emoney has tried but they can't get the backspace to work which renders it useless for browsing and it can't resize properly from portrait to landscape. Seems to be hit or miss from my experience and often gets stuck. Plus it just takes too long to launch. It needs to launch as quickly as the symbols keys.

I can't believe they haven't paid those guys for their work and give them the tools to fix the few bugs.

Are they guys at palm using a pre for heavy work and saying to themselves: "This is good"
    Last edited by laingman; 12/25/2009 at 10:42 PM.
    I hate virtual keyboards. The tab button is a great idea. Or, if we could rotate the screen and have our sweet little keyboard as it is, vertical, and the screen in portrait. Please prepare for the thread to be taken over by a discussion of how the hardware is so bad as is, that that would be impossible.
    +100000000000 for a REAL VKB.
    Quote Originally Posted by laingman View Post
    So my only laptop took a crap and I was forced to use my pre as computer and browser. Here is my observations:

1. Lack of virtual keyboard in landscape gets old fast, having to keep swithing the thing around to type is very ackward. I think palm needs to address this to keep up with the competition.

I quess they are aware of this because they made an update to make text fields zoom in when selected. This helps somewhat but it did not seem to always work and one has to tap the field to make it zoom. This leads me to problem 2.

2. I don't know if there is a way to simulate the tab button on a pc but it is a pain to have to move from one text field to the next trying to make an order for new laptop. If anyone knows how to do this easily please let me know.

My Question: Can Palm Pre compete without a landscape keyboard?

I recall a video when palm first announced the rep was asked about virtual keyboard and the response was no virtual keyboard but there is no reason developers can't create one and also they said something about the keys having to be a minimum size to be useful.

Well it seems there is a reason developers can't create one, god knows how emoney has tried but they can't get the backspace to work which renders it useless for browsing and it can't resize properly from portrait to landscape. Seems to be hit or miss from my experience and often gets stuck. Plus it just takes too long to launch. It needs to launch as quickly as the symbols keys.

I can't believe they haven't paid those guys for their work and give them the tools to fix the few bugs.

Are they guys at palm using a pre for heavy work and saying to themselves: "This is good"
    theres a virtual keyboard patch stop complaining
    there is a patch for virtual keyboard...and also it flips into landscaping mode with the screen when you're in a text field...i do it all the time....do you have virtual keyboard downloaded onto ur phones??
    Quote Originally Posted by 063_xobx View Post
    theres a virtual keyboard patch stop complaining
    EVERYTHING with this phone needs a patch. Patch patch patch patch patch.....
    If they don't provide virtual keyboard. They should redesign the pre to slide up and then Rotate the screen and do a 90 degree "Oreo" to get landscape.

They should give virtual keyboard for those that want it. For those that don't just offer option to disable.
    Quote Originally Posted by dbd View Post
    EVERYTHING with this phone needs a patch. Patch patch patch patch patch.....
    at least its not app ,app ,app, app
  9.    #9  
    I have the vk and I use it for simple text entries and even launching apps that are not on the first page and universal search. When I really need to type I use the physical keyboard. Also in landscape it takes up a lot or the screen. But swithcing the phone to type is not good in my opinion.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by Irocdaspot513 View Post
    there is a patch for virtual keyboard...and also it flips into landscaping mode with the screen when you're in a text field...i do it all the time....do you have virtual keyboard downloaded onto ur phones??
    Yes, I have donated and followed development since they first started with the symbol keyboard. They have done the best they can but it still needs work and it seems that palm needs to take over. For example if typing in a text field in browser make a mistake and that's it. You have to reload and start over. Also it gets stuck a lot and can't be dismissed. The reality is that all modern phones have the ability to type in landscape and palm should not have such a glaring deficiency when they are trying to capture hearts and minds.
    well at least it can be done
    If the backspace worked in the browser, things would be ok.
    Yes, I have donated and followed development since they first started with the symbol keyboard. They have done the best they can but it still needs work and it seems that palm needs to take over. For example if typing in a text field in browser make a mistake and that's it. You have to reload and start over. Also it gets stuck a lot and can't be dismissed. The reality is that all modern phones have the ability to type in landscape and palm should not have such a glaring deficiency when they are trying to capture hearts and minds.
    yea how about you try typing in landscape on a blackberry or are those not modern
    if they give you the feature of screen rotating to landscape mode, then they should give you the ability to type landscape via virtual. Since you know bb do not rotate, they don't need the vkb. Let's not act stupid.

yea how about you try typing in landscape on a blackberry or are those not modern
    Quote Originally Posted by donm527 View Post
    if they give you the feature of screen rotating to landscape mode, then they should give you the ability to type landscape via virtual. Since you know bb do not rotate, they don't need the vkb. Let's not act stupid.
    no lets not act like a 1st gen phone will be perfect take android the first gen g1 didnt get a vkb till 1.5 webos is trucking along and everyone who doesnt like its progress should either add the patches to make it better or stfu
  16.    #16  
    we know the OS is new but virtual keyboard is not new. I think it is just a bad call not to do it. Do you recall at first they had said that there is no clock app because people are picky about their alarms and they would leave it up to developers to make a clock/alarms? Then they changed their mind and relaease a clock with the first update. Hopefully they change their minds on this as well.
    we know the OS is new but virtual keyboard is not new. I think it is just a bad call not to do it. Do you recall at first they had said that there is no clock app because people are picky about their alarms and they would leave it up to developers to make a clock/alarms? Then they changed their mind and relaease a clock with the first update. Hopefully they change their minds on this as well.
    but before palm can even think about a vkb they need the pre to loose some of the lag (hopefully all) and last a full day off a charge
  18.    #18  
    but before palm can even think about a vkb they need the pre to loose some of the lag (hopefully all) and last a full day off a charge
    I agree about the lag. The one that bothers me the most is with the phone app. Going from dial pad to call log takes way too long. Is this due to loading images that are too tiny to see? Maybe I should make a patch request to disable images or at least make them bigger if we have to wait anyway.
    I agree about the lag. The one that bothers me the most is with the phone app. Going from dial pad to call log takes way too long. Is this due to loading images that are too tiny to see? Maybe I should make a patch request to disable images or at least make them bigger if we have to wait anyway.
    from my limited understanding its the processor having to handle images that the graphics processor should
    at least its not app ,app ,app, app
    LOL. Like there's a single Pre owner who wouldn't jump at swapping App libraries and functionality with the iPhone.

Edit: By "functionality", I don't mean multitasking. I mean, strict capabilities like video recording, voice dialing, voice command, etc.
    Last edited by mikah912; 12/26/2009 at 10:08 AM.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast